Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 10 Mar 20, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
EllieandCarl
Trainee Dibber

Mobile Taking a 9 Month Old

Hi all,

We're taking the whole family with us on our next trip, including our little one who will be 9 months by the time we go (May 2021!) We aren't planning on booking them a seat on the flight as there's 6 adults to help out, but how does this work - do I just not book them a seat and let the airline know they will be with us? Sorry if this is a stupid question!

Also if there's any good threads of tips for taking a baby to Disney World please do let me know, we're going to need all the help we can get! We're staying at Emerald Island resort in a villa and will have a hire car.

Thanks all.
EllieandCarl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 20, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Rabel
Very Serious Dibber

Firstly, congrats!
Secondly, I think that we had to phone up and add our little one to a ticket (with Virgin), that also gave us the opportunity to order the baby food which turned out to be Ella's Kitchen sachets and worked well.

There are a few "travel with a baby" threads on the planning forum and general chat forum... no idea how to link to them. It sounds as if you will have a lot of support on the flight and during the holiday, so won't have to worry about feeling left out. I think that the general tips from the different posters can be summed up as:
1. don't take an expensive pushchair (you will only be able to pick it up after passport control and will have to leave it outside rides)
2. take nappies with you
3. the baby change centres in the parks are great
4. don't plan too much, go with the flow and make sure that you have a rest day or two
5. take lots of pictures
6. think about the car seat (either hire it or take one across with you)

Above all enjoy all the sleep that you can get now!
Rabel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 20, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
EllieandCarl
Trainee Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Rabel View Post
Firstly, congrats!
Secondly, I think that we had to phone up and add our little one to a ticket (with Virgin), that also gave us the opportunity to order the baby food which turned out to be Ella's Kitchen sachets and worked well.

There are a few "travel with a baby" threads on the planning forum and general chat forum... no idea how to link to them. It sounds as if you will have a lot of support on the flight and during the holiday, so won't have to worry about feeling left out. I think that the general tips from the different posters can be summed up as:
1. don't take an expensive pushchair (you will only be able to pick it up after passport control and will have to leave it outside rides)
2. take nappies with you
3. the baby change centres in the parks are great
4. don't plan too much, go with the flow and make sure that you have a rest day or two
5. take lots of pictures
6. think about the car seat (either hire it or take one across with you)

Above all enjoy all the sleep that you can get now!
Thank you so much, and thank you for such a helpful reply!

I have just priced up a Fly Drive with Virgin for everyone and included the baby, it's coming out at £848pp so I need to do some research into whether or not this is a good price, we've been a few times before just the two of us but the first time as a group with an infant in tow!

Hahaha thank you, I am very much taking advantage of weekend naps at the moment, enjoying it while it lasts!
EllieandCarl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 20, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Rabel
Very Serious Dibber

:-) The naps and doing some arm exercises are two things I wish I had done prior to our son being born.

To me that price seems reasonable (but I'm not the best gauge), I think that the car seat is approx $25 per day if you hire out there. Most villas should have a cot or similar, but do check if there is a high chair and whether there are child proof locks and safety covers available. Our little boy was crawling by 8 months so I would be looking for socket covers (or gaffer tape) and door protectors either at the villa or to take with you. This might help your villa selection!
Rabel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 20, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell7
Earning More Ears

Mobile

Hiya, I’m currently pregnant and booked our next holiday for October this year baby will be 6 months. We booked with BA and they advised to just call up and add baby on when he/she is born and I’ll have to pay 10% I believe it is which equates to about £80ish. Baby has same luggage allowance as an adult 23kg and I believe you can take a buggy and a car seat. We are travelling as a 6 with another infant and we was able to pre book seats with the sky cots for the whole party now without charge. We have one sky cot for my nephew already and they said just to call up once baby’s born and once they are added to booking will try and seat us with an extra sky cot although this is not an issue as we can just take it in turns! I hope this helps and all the best!
Tinkerbell7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 20, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by EllieandCarl View Post
Hi all,

We're taking the whole family with us on our next trip, including our little one who will be 9 months by the time we go (May 2021!) We aren't planning on booking them a seat on the flight as there's 6 adults to help out, but how does this work - do I just not book them a seat and let the airline know they will be with us? Sorry if this is a stupid question!

Also if there's any good threads of tips for taking a baby to Disney World please do let me know, we're going to need all the help we can get! We're staying at Emerald Island resort in a villa and will have a hire car.

Thanks all.
We took our 7 month old in 2017 so any questions please ask.

You still pay a fare for taking the baby even if there’s no seat for them. It’s usually 10% of the fare ON THE DAY you book them. So it’s best to either book when you’ve got a price you are happy with or watch the prices and add them when you are happy. If that makes sense.
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 20, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
squishy
Imagineer

squishy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I bought a pushchair from eBay that I didn’t mind if it got trashed! It was a mamas and papas one, which reclined to almost flat and had a little pop up bottom part so she could properly nap.

I bought myself a ‘hippy chick seat’ which was a foam wedge type thing and saved my back and arms (and was a little cooler) for those times I needed to hold her in my arms in queues etc

We stayed in a villa, I rented a full size crib which was a hit for full night sleeps!
DLP DCR - 2009
squishy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 20, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

Mobile

We went with an 8 month old, when you book the flights get them to note the baby on the booking.

With Virgin they told me to do this as that way you pay the fee on the ticket price you booked at rather than the rate of the day you phone up to add baby.

They just look at the notes and then charge it according to notes. You can request a skycot on the plane too which is a bulkhead seat, priority is given to younger babies but we got one fine.

We mainly used a baby carrier around the parks as it made life easier.
Old 11 Mar 20, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Laurabelle84
Excited about Disney

Most airlines allow you to take a pram & a car seat with you for free if you don't want to hire a car seat. Last year (my son was 2 so older but still needed both) we just bought a car seat bag from Amazon & took our own car seat. Was so much easier & put our minds at ease that it was car seat we knew how to work & trusted... plus the car seat bag came in very handy on the way home to put in the silly amount of soft toys we got there. No-one looked in the bag or even batted an eyelid! x
Laurabelle84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 20, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
EllieandCarl
Trainee Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Rabel View Post
:-) The naps and doing some arm exercises are two things I wish I had done prior to our son being born.

To me that price seems reasonable (but I'm not the best gauge), I think that the car seat is approx $25 per day if you hire out there. Most villas should have a cot or similar, but do check if there is a high chair and whether there are child proof locks and safety covers available. Our little boy was crawling by 8 months so I would be looking for socket covers (or gaffer tape) and door protectors either at the villa or to take with you. This might help your villa selection!
This is a great tip, thank you! We've booked a villa that is especially family friendly and comes with a cot, highchair, baby swing, baby moniter, microwave steriliser and all sorts - so convenient! It's called Emerald Hunny Pot in Emerald Island if you're ever looking for one, they're listed on the Dibb villas. Obviously I cannot recommend yet as we haven't been, but I'll be happy to let you know how we found it once we've returned.