Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Mar 20, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile Sickness policy

I am unwell.
I self cert for 7 days (first 4 being my days due in work)
I then assumed that work would need a sick note so I saw my gp who wrote me one for a week. That will cover my next 5 shifts and then I have my normal 6 day rota days. But if I am still really bad I will just see my gp again.

My manager asked me to call,so I did, she asked me a lot of questions which when I am on medication an it takes me a while to formulate a sentence correctly as my head is what I call fuzzy was difficult. Even though my sick note doesnít run out until 12/3 I still have to call in tomorrow to talk to my manager.
When I was with the agency this was never the case but now I am with the company direct they seem to like to speak every few days. I only spoke to her Thursday.

I Just feel a bit badgered really as I assume they will want to talk to me again in another 3 days.
Iím not sure why but it makes me feel worse having to keep remembering to call them to explain yet again. Which is annoying it itself when they know whatís wrong with me.

Thinking I might need to ask for OH again as maybe there is more that can be in place to help but it takes me a long time to put it in words right now.

Is this normal to have to still contact them when they have a sick note from you?
vampiress88 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Second Disney holiday! Cancelled! Gutted
Old 7 Mar 20, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Hi, i only have to call in sick daily for first few days, but if i have sick note to cover a period of time i dont need to call in at all.
Old 7 Mar 20, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

No, you do not have to call your manager.

The first phone call could be part of their duty of care, to ask if they can assist in your return to work when well enough but your are under no obligation to speak to your manager, or anyone else, whilst your doctor says you are unfit for work.

If you are in a union, contact them and inform them what has happened. The union will most likely call your manager and remind him/her you are unfit for work.

Only contact your work to inform when you will be returning to work or ask your husband to call if you are signed off for a further period of time.

I hope your new medication helps.
vowels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 20, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyWannabe
Imagineer

It will depend on your employer's policy. Ours states that you have to call and speak to someone o day one and then every 3 working days. If sickness is long term then it is every week.

The employer has a duty of care to support you and will obviously be wanting to plan for either your return to work or continued absence. Personally I don't think every 3-4 days checking in is excessive, but if you feel it is, call and ask for contact to be less frequent, I am sure they will try and work with you.

I hope you feel better soon.
Solterra- July/August 2019 (3 Weeks) Hampton Lakes - August 2017 (3 Weeks) Ellihunts CBR & Villa Aug 2016 (4 Weeks) - Irish Boomerang: SNN-LHR-MIA - Cresent Lakes - Aug 2014 - OKW & Indian Creek - July/Aug 2013 (4 weeks) - OKW & Cumbrian Lakes Villa August 2010 - 3rd "Mmmm? " ..Orange Tree Villa August 2009... Mission Park Villa Easter 2008 - Family Visit... Comfort Inn LBV September 2000 - 1st Visit (couple)
DisneyWannabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 20, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Clairelovestate
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

If Iím off sick I would have no issues with a phone call every few days ( unless very long term sick leave) just so I could keep them updated. Are they generally interested in how you are? Maybe with the current corona virus going round they want to make sure they can kick in a plan ASAP if you then develop symptoms?
Clairelovestate is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Disneyland Paris!
Old 7 Mar 20, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
meggy
Imagineer

meggy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I understand your unease. When I was working It was my company policy that I kept in touch If I was off sick every few days. Can't really explain why,but it made me feel very uncomfortable and guilty even though I was genuinely very poorly.

Have to say that when i was off for 3 months (pneumonia) I used to call each time i had a new certificate but other than that told my boss I would email him every Monday to let him know how I was and he was happy with this.

Try not to worry, probably hightened because you feel poorly. Hope you feel better soon.
meggy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Let planning commence
Old 7 Mar 20, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

Maybe they are worried about the Corona virus?
ziggyzag is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Florida!
Old 7 Mar 20, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby29
Imagineer

Our office is , if your off sick, you have to call in once a week. No idea why as like you say the sick line covers you. Guess itís just a policy they have.
Old 7 Mar 20, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Different companies different policies, as long as yours is following this then there is no issue.
I assume you have read your companies policy regarding this and they are not following it.
Or you haven't read and are assuming that all companies are generic which unfortunately they aren't.
If your manager is acting outside of company policy then invoke your companies grievance policy which most likely will be on next page to sickness policy as 75% + grievance complaints are due to this so they generally put them together.
Go West young man
Old 7 Mar 20, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Iím not actually sure what is supposed to be correct. I know itís every shift for the first week. After that I assumed it was when the sicknote ran out but obviously I was wrong.

Donít know why I feel uneasy but I remember one of my friends a year back got really fed up of managers calling every other day when she was off with anxiety and depression. Pushed her over the edge and she never came back. Sheís on the mend now.

I just donít get it. If I am well I come in. If not then my sick note is covering me.

The issues I have are long term. Unfortunately with me for life. Nothing to do with corona but I do think my immune system is weaker.

No I do not think the manager actually cares about my wellbeing. Iíve been there 11 years. They know, I think everyone knows what goes on with me and why Iím ill.

Problem is, I have endometriosis, and not all women understand exactly how bad it can get as I think they compare it to their own experiences and men usually just look at you like itís all in your head.
vampiress88 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Second Disney holiday! Cancelled! Gutted
Ever After Holidays