Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > Current Issues Forum
Forgotten Password?
Notices

Old 19 Mar 20, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Year 10 is anyone else worried

So ŵhilst I know the focus is on yr11/13 but Iím super concerned about my DD in yr 10. I know itís devastating whatís happening and there will be winners/losers as some will see it as no exams and if you have done all in other areas will get a good grade.
Now what about yr 10. If thereís is no school for months I know they are having stuff at home but itís defi not the same as being at school. Does anyone have any ideas how they will be treated as I really feel they are disadvantaged. It hasnít been confirmed but there has been a suggestion by others that the exams they were due to sit in May will be done next year putting even more pressure on. I wish my daughter was in year 11 as she would have done really well now Iím not too sure
Anyone else concerned?
Old 19 Mar 20, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Tweety1 View Post
So ŵhilst I know the focus is on yr11/13 but Iím super concerned about my DD in yr 10. I know itís devastating whatís happening and there will be winners/losers as some will see it as no exams and if you have done all in other areas will get a good grade.
Now what about yr 10. If thereís is no school for months I know they are having stuff at home but itís defi not the same as being at school. Does anyone have any ideas how they will be treated as I really feel they are disadvantaged. It hasnít been confirmed but there has been a suggestion by others that the exams they were due to sit in May will be done next year putting even more pressure on. I wish my daughter was in year 11 as she would have done really well now Iím not too sure
Anyone else concerned?
Yes I agree and I am concerned too. My daughter is year 10. They could potentially not be attending school for almost 6 months. The year 11/13ís are receiving estimated grades. I also think some allowance should be made for the year 10ís, maybe at least the grades being a combination of exam and coursework. Our school is being fairly strict with the work to be done. The pupils already have iPads for school. Work is being set for each lesson and they are using Zoom for video conferencing, still sticking to the school timetable. Eleanor is quite disciplined about school work, she says she is looking forward to learning without the class idiots ! She is doing sport GCSE and 2 of her chosen sports are athletics, she will be out of condition and missed a full track season.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Jersey for 2...but will it happen ?
Old 19 Mar 20, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Apprentice Imagineer

Stardust5's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
My DS is also in year 10, he is really good at doing his work and has been home learning for the past 2 days as his school closed for years 9 and 10. I agree it is a worry that they will get behind in the work that is needed for their GCSEís next year, I hope the exams that they take reflect the fact that they might possibly have missed so much teaching time.
Stardust5 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Florida Here We Come!
Old 19 Mar 20, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

My dd is in yr10. Today was her first day working at home and it went quite well. Her teachers are setting work according to her timetable and are planning some class lessons to be done on microsoft teams. She can email them if needed as well. I am concerned that some stuff won't be covered as it should be and she won't have the support and guidance she needs but she knows she needs to remain focused. I'm going to also look on twinkl as I saw there are some exam papers etc on there we can hopefully download. She is concerned about not having access to all the art materials she would usually use and I think will end up needing to catch up on some work when she returns. There's also a couple of field trips that are required for Geography and no idea when they will now happen as 1 was for April. I'm hoping the exam boards will realise the impact this will also have had on yr10's and adjust grade boundaries or requirements accordingly next year.
Old 19 Mar 20, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

I know itís canít be helped but I feel jŻst so let down for DD. She is very good and hard working so I have no doubt she will do everything asked and more but itís not like being taught properly! Also if they have to do more exams next yr that would be fair. I wish someone could tell us but I know itís all focus on the kids doing their exams
Iím glad itís not me as I have been ranting about it all day but I know itís noones fault
Thanks for letting me moan
Old 20 Mar 20, 12:13 AM  
Link to this Post
nadya
Imagineer

nadya's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Very concerned for ds in year 10,he has asd and already struggles massively, only managing 3 hours a day at school,so hes already missing so much.I fear he will end up with no qualifications at all,he is able but he really needs a supportive environment to learn, home schooling was never going to work for him,but I will try my best! (Along with ds 11,ds 8,also has asd,and ds6)
nadya is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
CSR here we come!
Old 20 Mar 20, 01:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Clarkd3
Getting Excited

Mobile

Yes Iím really concerned about DD in year 10, worried that there will be no allowances made for missing a big chunk of school. Online learning canít ever replace a supportive intuitive teacher! 😕
Clarkd3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Our WDW Holiday.
Old 20 Mar 20, 01:56 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Totally agree and those in Year 12 too have the same issues - which in time, will reflect a greater non teaching time prior to exams that are still over a year away.
This is an issue that for Y11 and 13 in 2021, has not even been thought about yet

For the record - I'm more concerned for my youngest son who is in Year 8 and school are not engaging beyond the next couple of weeks worth of work.

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - click here to read a trip report in progress

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Going out in a Blaze of Glory.
Old 20 Mar 20, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Tracydcp
Imagineer

Mobile

Yes my DS is in year 10. His school has a remote learning link which work is being added to but itís not the same. Iím just scared that thereís going to be a huge chunk theyíll miss out in and then will be expected to catch up on his in year 11. Heís doing gcse PE and sports science and is finding it very hard having all his sports cancelled, outside of school too. Heís just joined a gym so is going every day while theyíre still open. Itís just hard to be as disciplined with schoolwork at home too but weíre getting him into a routine as we have no idea how long it will be this way.

April/May 2009, October 2011, May 2013, May 2015
August 2020 Weíre going back!
Tracydcp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
WeĎre finally going back!
Old 20 Mar 20, 07:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tracydcp View Post
Yes my DS is in year 10. His school has a remote learning link which work is being added to but itís not the same. Iím just scared that thereís going to be a huge chunk theyíll miss out in and then will be expected to catch up on his in year 11. Heís doing gcse PE and sports science and is finding it very hard having all his sports cancelled, outside of school too. Heís just joined a gym so is going every day while theyíre still open. Itís just hard to be as disciplined with schoolwork at home too but weíre getting him into a routine as we have no idea how long it will be this way.
I know and I have both boys and girls and in my exp girls are more motivated as boys need to be doing but if you canít get out how can they be doing. Good luck with the gym as half are shops have closed going to hopefully get a gym session in before that goes