Forgotten Password?
Notices

Old 27 Mar 20, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
jessica
Trying for More Ears

Will our kids go back to school?

Could do with some positive vibes...
I absolutely adore having my kids at home and any other time Iíd welcome this lock down BUT DS is 4 and really enjoying nursery and starts school Iím September and DD is in year 6, had so much planned for the last year of school, sporting events, assemblies and the now cancelled SATs 😩
Even if they could just go back for a month that would be something
jessica is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Baby Sulleys first Disney Holiday
Old 27 Mar 20, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

Mr Tom Morrow's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I hope they go back for even 1 day. I am throwing next doors footballs back every 10 bloody minutes.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

'Morrow and Morrow. For the people dot com'

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 20, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
blusteryday
VIP Dibber

blusteryday's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 12
Guidebook Photos: 8
Nicola Sturgeon, Scottish First Minister, is on record as saying schools may not go back before their summer holidays.

Admittedly, the Scottish school holiday dates are different to England, Wales, NI etc however I think it provides forward guidance to the rest of us.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if schools are closed until September in England, then teacher training days cancelled or reduced, and maybe cancellation of October half term and/or reduction in Christmas break to allow the schools a fighting chance to catch up time.

DS1 was supposed to be taking GCSEs this summer, but is now on a regular cycle of assessments to be sent back in to school.

DD1, who is 14, has already been told that following Easter break she will be starting her GCSE option subjects - so schools are already planning far, far ahead from what I can see.

Before hitting that "Submit Post" button, re-read what you've typed and consider:
Is it true?
Is it kind?
Is it helpful?
Is it necessary?

Edited at 11:51 AM.
blusteryday is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 20, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Excited about Disney

Mobile

No one has made decisions yet. I think that the data they get from these antibodies tests will influence what the government does next.

Worse case scenario seems to be that we'll have a cycle of two months lock down and then a month more relaxed and cycle on like that until we have a vaccine. However there is a theory that coronavirus has been around for longer than we were aware and that large numbers of us already have antibodies, which would allow more movement for many. I think we'll get answers in a few weeks.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
DLP and then Viva Espana
Old 27 Mar 20, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Bee happy
VIP Dibber

Bee happy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I really do hope they go back even if it's for a week. My dd 9 has a wonderful teacher, he holds a online class every morning and it has definitely made a huge difference to her wellbeing. I get so sad thinking she may never be in his class again. So sad for all the year 6s also as final year in primary.
I do wonder what will happen with Summer holidays? If all has settled down by then I wonder if they will be shortened?
Bee happy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
NYC for Thanksgiving :)
Old 27 Mar 20, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
jessica
Trying for More Ears

I donít feel too hopeful, I feel theyíll say no to the kids going back and I know itís not a life or death situation but I do feel itíll have real knock on effects 😩
jessica is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 20, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
archibald
VIP Dibber

I'm assuming they'll be hone until September or possibly earlier - don't see the need for a summer holiday this year, flexibility is the key.

I feel so very sorry for those leaving early without sitting exams, but even more so for my DS in the year below who will be 'missing' a quarter of the GCSE courses if he doesn't return before summer. The work sent from school is a bit hit and miss right now - some teachers are really on it, others have sent a bit of revision. I'm assuming after Easter more robust teaching aids will be available.

We've been doing French this morning, it is a very long 30+ years since I've done any, but all credit to my old french teacher, there's quite a bit still lodged in the dusty corners of my brain! English grammar and the finer points of the quadratic equation I fear are probably missing though!

Edited at 11:58 AM.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 20, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
jessica
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by Bee happy View Post
I really do hope they go back even if it's for a week. My dd 9 has a wonderful teacher, he holds a online class every morning and it has definitely made a huge difference to her wellbeing. I get so sad thinking she may never be in his class again. So sad for all the year 6s also as final year in primary.
I do wonder what will happen with Summer holidays? If all has settled down by then I wonder if they will be shortened?
Yes if my DD wasnít year 6 I really would be as bothered. I too thought this about summer hols but then is it right to cut the staffs holiday? 🤷🏻
Old 27 Mar 20, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I'd love for them to go back, my son in year 5 has got his first really good teacher this year, she's lovely, and he's never got on with school before. He says now he'll never complain about going again!
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
DLP and then Viva Espana
Old 27 Mar 20, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

We had had a similar discussion about if they will shorten the 6 week holiday to get kids back to some classes.

WDW 1991, 1993, 1995, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2011, 2016, 2017
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Boardwalk and Disney Fantasy