Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Old 17 May 16, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post

Agree with ERICSMUM - 3 days is not enough time to do New York anyway (a year probably wouldn't be) so wasting time buying stuff you could get in Orlando anyway (and probably cheaper) is not a smart use of time.

That being said you shouldn't miss an hour or two window shopping down 5th Av and you have to go in the FAO Schwartz (toy shop in the Harrods style of spectacle) flagship store

I know others have said that Orlando will be cheaper for full priced items - but given your timeline you are going to be there in the 2nd half of august which is often a sale period in New York so it might be worth a look in some of your "big ticket" stores just in case
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 16, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by stupet11 View Post
More like M&S / Debenhams than a jumble sale, - even had a small coffee shop!

But yes - prob not a good use of time IMO either...but if they want to say they did some shopping in NYC, I'd go here!
Blimey it's changed in the past few years then !
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 16, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Agree with ERICSMUM - 3 days is not enough time to do New York anyway (a year probably wouldn't be) so wasting time buying stuff you could get in Orlando anyway (and probably cheaper) is not a smart use of time.

That being said you shouldn't miss an hour or two window shopping down 5th Av and you have to go in the FAO Schwartz (toy shop in the Harrods style of spectacle) flagship store

I know others have said that Orlando will be cheaper for full priced items - but given your timeline you are going to be there in the 2nd half of august which is often a sale period in New York so it might be worth a look in some of your "big ticket" stores just in case
Good point, there are also the flagship stores for Tiffany and Saks Fifth Avenue too.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 16, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Mobile

Coach full price should be a standardised price between New York and Orlando, though the sales tax will vary.

I actually got a great deal on a coach bag from Macy's New York last year, as they were offering a 25% discount at that time! So would definitely still go shopping in New York first. (Plus... Some stores that have branches in both new York and Orlando may let you return goods bought in New York in Orlando, if you change your mind...)
Old 17 May 16, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Cap'n Jack
Very Serious Dibber

Cap'n Jack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by 07003840 View Post
New York is more expensive as their sales tax is higher then Orlando. (I Cant remember how much tho) I would Defo try and do your shopping in orlando instead of New York
Hi
nyc is 8.875% and Orlando 7%
Cap'n Jack is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 16, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Dog
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
It used to be a bit of a jumble sale in there, I just couldn't cope with having to rummage for bargains. Might have improved in the past few years though.

If you go, avoid lunchtimes as its full with women on their lunch breaks !

Personally I wouldn't spend time shopping in New York. You are there for only 3 days and there's lots to pack into that time.

You'll love New York.
It still is in parts of it. My mrs is a bargain hunter and she can only shop here for a short time until she blows a fuse
Big Dog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 16, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
whitec
Proud to wear my Ears

Thanks for all the great advice guys ... I have no shopping time scheduled into my very busy NYC plan but I know the teenagers will want to buy something there if they can !
whitec is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 16, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
purplemusky
Apprentice Imagineer

purplemusky's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 6

FAO Schwartz shut down last year which is really sad great store

1995 IDrive/St Pete's Beach/1999 IDrive/Sarasota/2012/2013/2014 & 2016 Lake Buena Vista Village Resort & Spa/2017 Regal Palms & St Pete's Beach/2018 Orange Lake and Miami/2019 Miami, Clearwater & LBV
purplemusky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 16, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
dlamiot
Chilling at Carribean Beach

"FAO Schwartz shut down last year which is really sad great store"

I thought it had just moved? The rent was too high where they used to be.
dlamiot is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 16, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
jaspr
Trading Disney Pins

Gutted about FAO Schwartz that was on our places to visit list
jaspr is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List