Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Members Trip Reports > General Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Orlando Attractions
Unread 6 Aug 18, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
Glad youre home safely and had a great time. We are on our last few days now. Have the next 2 nights left in Banff and then we move to Calgary for our final 2 nights.

It sounds like youve been a bit more active than we have! Looking forward to your trippie to hear more about it.

One last question - have you taken as many photographs of mountains as I have?
Hope you are enjoying Banff, we arrive on Thursday Any tips so far?
Unread 6 Aug 18, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Originally Posted by parisdisneyfan View Post
Hope you are enjoying Banff, we arrive on Thursday Any tips so far?
Hi Julia,

Itll be lovely to spend such a long time using Banff as a base. Get used to photographing lots of mountains and lakes - one photo is never enough!

When youre up early for the time difference, get to Moraine Lake early before they shut the road. Either that or go later in the evening (we went at about 5:15 pm and got lucky as they were just opening the road again, although they did shut it again shortly afterwards). I absolutely loved it there. If you follow the path behind the rock pile, you can get up to some lookouts there - the height seems to really make the colours of the lake more spectacular. It wasnt very busy there at that time either, which made it more enjoyable.

I think the colours of Moraine Lake have been my favourite, but Lake Louise, Emerald Lake and Peyto Lake have all been stunning too. Were not big hikers, but have enjoyed lakeside trails at both Lake Louise and Emerald Lake.

One of the favourite things weve enjoyed is the Maligne Lake cruise to Spirit Island, but not sure if youre going that far. We also did the Lake Minnewanka boat trip, and while there was nothing wrong with it, I did prefer the other one. Perhaps if I hadnt have done the Maligne Lake one first, I may have felt differently.

Weve found the GyPSy apps bundle for the Canadian Rockies well worth the 14.99 it cost us, but the best one of the four was the Icefields Parkway one - you can buy it separately rather than in the bundle with Lake Louise, Jasper and Banff apps if youd rather. It lets you know all the places to stop along the way, and works on GPS, so doesnt cost any of your data - not that youll have phone signal along there anyway.

Make sure youve got layers - the weather can change very quickly. It was 5 degrees when we left the hotel this morning, but got up to 27 degrees this afternoon. Showers can appear very suddenly too, so my umbrella was always in the rucksack along with a hoodie.

Im sure theres more, but Ill add to this post when I think of things.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
A few days in Washington DC
Unread 7 Aug 18, 06:46 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
Hi Julia,

Itll be lovely to spend such a long time using Banff as a base. Get used to photographing lots of mountains and lakes - one photo is never enough!

When youre up early for the time difference, get to Moraine Lake early before they shut the road. Either that or go later in the evening (we went at about 5:15 pm and got lucky as they were just opening the road again, although they did shut it again shortly afterwards). I absolutely loved it there. If you follow the path behind the rock pile, you can get up to some lookouts there - the height seems to really make the colours of the lake more spectacular. It wasnt very busy there at that time either, which made it more enjoyable.

I think the colours of Moraine Lake have been my favourite, but Lake Louise, Emerald Lake and Peyto Lake have all been stunning too. Were not big hikers, but have enjoyed lakeside trails at both Lake Louise and Emerald Lake.

One of the favourite things weve enjoyed is the Maligne Lake cruise to Spirit Island, but not sure if youre going that far. We also did the Lake Minnewanka boat trip, and while there was nothing wrong with it, I did prefer the other one. Perhaps if I hadnt have done the Maligne Lake one first, I may have felt differently.

Weve found the GyPSy apps bundle for the Canadian Rockies well worth the 14.99 it cost us, but the best one of the four was the Icefields Parkway one - you can buy it separately rather than in the bundle with Lake Louise, Jasper and Banff apps if youd rather. It lets you know all the places to stop along the way, and works on GPS, so doesnt cost any of your data - not that youll have phone signal along there anyway.

Make sure youve got layers - the weather can change very quickly. It was 5 degrees when we left the hotel this morning, but got up to 27 degrees this afternoon. Showers can appear very suddenly too, so my umbrella was always in the rucksack along with a hoodie.

Im sure theres more, but Ill add to this post when I think of things.
Thank you so much for all that info Jo Good to know about the signal as dh reckons on using google maps! Have seen something called Navmii as well as the GyPsy stuff. Really not sure how much we are doing apart from the Glacier, although dh has now added possibly Edmonton Air Show!

Good to know about the weather as I wondered if it would be cold in the mornings despite the temps being forecast as high. Was hoping it would be cooler but at least got air con.

Enjoy your last couple of days and safe journey home x
Unread 7 Aug 18, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Originally Posted by parisdisneyfan View Post
Thank you so much for all that info Jo Good to know about the signal as dh reckons on using google maps! Have seen something called Navmii as well as the GyPsy stuff. Really not sure how much we are doing apart from the Glacier, although dh has now added possibly Edmonton Air Show!

Good to know about the weather as I wondered if it would be cold in the mornings despite the temps being forecast as high. Was hoping it would be cooler but at least got air con.

Enjoy your last couple of days and safe journey home x
Ive just asked DH about google maps as he did something with it on my phone. You can log in and go into the settings and theres something about offline. Hes telling me he drew a box around the area he wanted to download, and it stays on your device for a month. Weve been able to use it then, despite having no signal.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
A few days in Washington DC
Unread 8 Aug 18, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
sounds like a fantastic holiday, looking forward to reading more
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Cruising to Iceland
Attraction Tickets Direct