Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Members Trip Reports > General Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports
Forgotten Password?
Notices
US Rent A Car
Unread 4 Mar 18, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Vancouver

After several days of research, we decided we liked the look of Yaletown as a base to stay. It seems to be a mix of a residential area with sidewalk cafes, restaurants, cocktail bars, shops and parks - this suits us nicely.

We looked at lots of different accommodation but eventually chose the Opus Hotel in Yaletown.

It gets great reviews on Trip Advisor, and looks to be in a great location for us - within 2 blocks of our hotel, there are plenty of bars and restaurants that we can walk to in the evening, included The Keg restaurant which we missed out on Toronto. I've got my eye on this already.

We booked a room there, and just a few weeks later discovered a sale on, so managed to book a Studio room with balcony for less than the price wed originally reserved a lower category room. Luckily that was at a cancellable rate.

Now we havent done a great deal of research here yet, so any suggestions for things to see would be great. Were conscious that we dont want to pack our days too fully, as we might be struggling with the time difference to begin with. We wont have a car until we leave Vancouver, so will need to explore by foot or use public transport. Any tips or words of wisdom for this will be gratefully received.

I need to reread some trip reports to refresh my mind about what there is to see and give me some ideas. Its just a shame that some trippies have suffered due to the Photobucket fiasco where they stopped 3rd Party hosting. Trip Reports for Vancouver and the Rockies seem to be few and far between, so its disappointing that I cant see what Im sure are fabulous photos. I cant talk though, as I havent yet changed my initial trip reports that used Photobucket either. It's such a daunting task.
jocat is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
A few days in Washington DC
Unread 4 Mar 18, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
I hope you like the Uclelet hotel - we loved it over there! Are you going to go whale watching? We saw a bear here too on one of our walks to a beach through the forest! A definite highlight.

In Vancouver we stayed in the Blue Hotel which had just opened so we got a very good rate for it. However, it is near the stadium so whilst walkable to the main highlights it wasn't in the middle of the action.
We have found a hotel in Vancouver now - have just posted about it.

There have also been some changes to our itinerary and we've made the difficult decision to drop Vancouver Island on this trip unfortunately. Will explain why in my next post.
jocat is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Unread 4 Mar 18, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Changes to make - should we cancel?

Just a few days after we booked and paid for our non-cancellable flights, our daughter announced that she and her boyfriend of 8 years were expecting a baby, our first grandchild. Shed only found out that morning.

This was obviously wonderful news, and even more so as due to a medical condition she has, she was told that shed probably need medical intervention when it came to getting pregnant. We were so relieved for her that this wasnt the case, as going through fertility treatment can be heartbreaking for couples.

Her timing could have been a little better though her due date is the 22nd July, which is the day we go on holiday! This has caused some tremendous indecision with us. Do we try and postpone or just cancel our holiday? Can we sell our flights to our friends? Do we go as planned and feel enormous guilt for the rest of our lives? Perhaps a bit over dramatic, but that is how I felt.

We decided to hold fire and not make any decisions for a few weeks, let the news sink in and then discuss it with her at a later time.

The early weeks of her pregnancy were not worry free however, and everything else went out of the window while she wasnt in the best of health. That initial panic has thankfully now passed and she has reached the 20th week of her pregnancy today. Her health has improved dramatically too and she can actually enjoy her pregnancy now.

We rang BA to double check what our options were and discovered that as expected, we could not cancel without forfeiting the entire cost, nor could we change the passengers travelling so that our friends could go instead. However we could move our flights to a later date, which was more than wed expected. When we looked at other possible dates though, the only thing we could do was move them back by a couple of weeks - as I work in a school I am obviously unable to take my holidays in term time, but Martin could not change his dates due to others having holidays booked. As the changed flights would have to be taken by November, there was actually no other option. It was either cancel completely or go on holiday as planned. It actually also makes no difference to us financially if we cancel now or leave it until two days before we travel.

After lots of discussions between the two of us, and then similar discussions with DD, we have currently made the decision to go on holiday as planned. DD felt very strongly that we shouldnt cancel. Her boyfriend will have two weeks off work, and his mum also works in a school so will be around to help if they need it initially. Then, when were back off holiday, Ill still be off work for 3 weeks and can help her when she needs me to. If wed moved our holiday dates back a couple of weeks, Id perhaps have more chance of being around when the baby was born, but wouldn't be available to help when she needs me. Id rather me be the one thats upset at potentially not being around for the time of the birth, than her be upset that I wasnt there for her when she wanted me to be.

Im praying that the baby arrives a couple of days earlier than the due date, which would be the ideal solution.

This news though has changed our planned itinerary, with Vancouver Island being the casualty. We need to ensure we have good wifi where possible, for as much of the holiday as we can! We definitely want to be able to Facetime to be introduced to our new grandchild if they arrive after their due date.

Wed also been having a little bit of wobble about the length of the travelling back from Ucluelet to Kamloops. It shows on Google Maps as 8 hours 30 minutes, which we just felt was too much. It would be different if we were visiting Vancouver Island first, but we did not fancy that long in the car.

With the decision made, we started looking at an alternative destination, and have opted for Whistler. We understand that Whistler can be very busy in the summer months, so instead of staying there, weve chosen to stay on the outskirts, in a place called Creekside. As well as being cheaper, the accommodation is much more spacious than most in Whistler Village too.

We have a one bedroomed suite with full kitchen at the Evolution, and it has a handful of restaurants nearby if we dont feel like driving or catching the bus back to Whistler to eat.

Were disappointed about losing Vancouver Island from our plans, but as we hope to do an Alaskan Cruise in the future, weve decided that well tag Vancouver Island onto that trip.
Unread 7 Mar 18, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
VIP Dibber

Wow your trip looks amazing Jo! I definitely want to go to that side of Canada one day.

We've also got a First Class leg (coming back from Vegas) in the summer. Very much looking forward to that!

What a situation with your daughter! Very selfish of her to arrange a baby for that date!

Full trippie afterwards please, if you're not too busy babysitting!
neilhd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Not even booked yet... FL 2020
Unread 14 Mar 18, 06:48 AM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by neilhd View Post
Wow your trip looks amazing Jo! I definitely want to go to that side of Canada one day.

We've also got a First Class leg (coming back from Vegas) in the summer. Very much looking forward to that!

What a situation with your daughter! Very selfish of her to arrange a baby for that date!

Full trippie afterwards please, if you're not too busy babysitting!
Thanks Neil. I think my daughter was very quickly forgiven!

I shall try my best with a trippie afterwards, although I imagine it will be very photo heavy.
Unread 14 Mar 18, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

Following with interest as we would like to visit Vancouver next year. Sounds amazing so far.
Unread 14 Mar 18, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
janey2000
Trainee Dibber

Please post more! I love the sound of your trip! We have just booked a 7 night Alaska cruise from Seattle for 2019 but I want to add in a week beforehand, fly to Calgary and road trip - Banff - Lake Louise - Jasper - Vancouver then train to Seattle ... trying to work out how doable this is 😂

Pre trip report - Aug 2014 Florida and Georgia
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=794593
janey2000 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Our first WDW Holiday Aug 2014
Unread 14 Mar 18, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by tinytots View Post
Following with interest as we would like to visit Vancouver next year. Sounds amazing so far.
Originally Posted by janey2000 View Post
Please post more! I love the sound of your trip! We have just booked a 7 night Alaska cruise from Seattle for 2019 but I want to add in a week beforehand, fly to Calgary and road trip - Banff - Lake Louise - Jasper - Vancouver then train to Seattle ... trying to work out how doable this is 😂
Sounds great!

Will try and post a bit more in the next couple of days. Real life just gets in the way of holiday planning sometimes!
Discount Florida Car Hire