Go Back   theDIBB > Other Planning > Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.
Unread 30 May 19, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Apprentice Imagineer

Thank you for this, our trip is very close now and I must admit the language barrier was starting to worry me so it reassuring to read your experiences.

Can I ask the name of the temple with the market in Kyoto and I'm intrigued what the unusual things were you bought

Thanks

Louise[/QUOTE]
Dont worry about the language barrier - most people we came across had some knowledge of English but even when they dont it is amazing how much communication can be done with hands and nodding. My husband was laughing watching me talking to people on the busses in Kyoto.

The temple is called Toji Temple and the market is on the 21st of each month. There is also another one on the 15th of the month which I read has more handmade items which I would have liked to have gone to. Depending when you are there I think other temples have markets too.

I bought hand printed fabric, a handmade purse, lots of scraps of leather which had handmade printed on them (I will use them on my sewing). Pin cushions and some second hand bits and pieces like little pots. There are loads of second hand kimono stalls but I thought they smelt musty so didnt buy one although I had planned to for using the fabric. I also bought Japanese wooden dolls (only the largest one in the photo was bought at the market

Edited at 10:39 AM.
Pumpkin Pie is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Our WDW Holiday.
Unread 30 May 19, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Sounds amazing. Japan is on our bucket list so hopefully we will get to visit there soon.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Aruba Jamaica I wanna take u...CBR...
Unread 30 May 19, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moodyblue View Post
Hi, did you do Disney Sea from Tokyo? I am planning for Spring 2021 (to see the blossoms) but want to do Disney Sea. Just trying to work out if its doable from Tokyo or if I should add on a couple of days at the park hotel. Thanks!
Yes we went from Tokyo and it didnt take that long either. We took the Yamanote line from Shinagawa to Tokyo Station (10 mins?) then caught the train to the Disney station called Maihama. Once you get there you go on the Disney monorail to either Disney Sea or Tokyo Disney. It sounds way more complicated than it actually is. I think overall it took us around 45 mins.

Depending where you stay you will be different but if you aim for Tokyo Station you will be fine.
Pumpkin Pie is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Our WDW Holiday.
Unread 30 May 19, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Isnt Japan fab ? So much to see, and easy enough. I did an organised coach trip a few years ago and saw quite a few more remote or costal areas where there were no stations. I didnt do Disney - it wasnt on the itinerary although we had a couple of free days in Tokyo so I could have fitted it in.
ERICSMUM is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Bittersweet Trip...
Unread 30 May 19, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Moodyblue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
Yes we went from Tokyo and it didnt take that long either. We took the Yamanote line from Shinagawa to Tokyo Station (10 mins?) then caught the train to the Disney station called Maihama. Once you get there you go on the Disney monorail to either Disney Sea or Tokyo Disney. It sounds way more complicated than it actually is. I think overall it took us around 45 mins.

Depending where you stay you will be different but if you aim for Tokyo Station you will be fine.
Thank you, thats really helpful!
Unread 30 May 19, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Laughing Minnie View Post
Thanks for posting this. We are going to Japan for 8 nights in December for a split stay for Kyoto and Tokyo. We cant decide where to stay in Kyoto, can I ask where you stayed? Thanks
We stayed at the Kyoto Century Hotel which was next to Kyoto Station. The location was great for us as we were doing so many day trips from there but to be honest the room was a bit disappointing and small compared to our Tokyo hotel which was great. I would probably try a different hotel if we go back to Kyoto although the staff were excellent and very helpful.
Our WDW Holiday.
Unread 30 May 19, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
Isnt Japan fab ? So much to see, and easy enough. I did an organised coach trip a few years ago and saw quite a few more remote or costal areas where there were no stations. I didnt do Disney - it wasnt on the itinerary although we had a couple of free days in Tokyo so I could have fitted it in.
I loved it and although we did a lot there is still so much to see. We will have to go back!
Our WDW Holiday.
Unread 30 May 19, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Laughing Minnie
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
We stayed at the Kyoto Century Hotel which was next to Kyoto Station. The location was great for us as we were doing so many day trips from there but to be honest the room was a bit disappointing and small compared to our Tokyo hotel which was great. I would probably try a different hotel if we go back to Kyoto although the staff were excellent and very helpful.
Thanks, that is helpful. The Kyoto Century hotel is one that we were looking at, so it is great to get feedback on it. Sounds like you had a fab trip
Laughing Minnie is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Our WDW Holiday.