Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Closed Thread

Old 20 Nov 13, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Edam1975
Imagineer

I too am in a bubble and have no idea what threads these are, but well said Stu. I've left forums before where people have got nasty but I've always found the Dibb very friendly (though I get paranoid about my thread killing ability )

We've seen some true acts of kindness on the Dibb. Let's keep it that way.

1986 - Howard Johnsons / 1989 - Quality Inn / 1994 - All Star Sports / 2005 - Tuscan Hills / 2011 - Cumbrian Lakes / 2012 - Lindfields / 2014 - Formosa Gardens / 2014 - Emerald Island / 2016 - Emerald Island & RPR / 2018 - Emerald Island & RPR / 2022 - Las Vegas, Mammoth Lakes, Yosemite, Monterey, Morro Bay, LA, Disneyland (Grand Californian), San Diego / 2023 - Grand Floridian, Anna Maria Island, RPR
Edam1975 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 13, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
MissVincent
Imagineer

I really do think its wrong to say anything was sad sarcasticly... the comments were disgusting and intolerant and im really suprised they came from SN parents
MissVincent is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 13, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

I have absolutely no idea what has happened but feel so sad at the thought that anyone comes to chat in any of the forums on the Dibb and are caused upset/distress by comments made. The Dibb has been a really happy place for me since joining and I hope that continues.

Thank you to Stu and all the Mods for their continued brilliant work.
Old 20 Nov 13, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
JSP
Imagineer

There are subjects that I never post on now due to the reactions of some people here its a shame but I'd rather not make myself a target as I unwittingly have in the past.
Old 20 Nov 13, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
There are subjects that I never post on now due to the reactions of some people here its a shame but I'd rather not make myself a target as I unwittingly have in the past.
We are taking a stance with this, one member was banned from the site today due to sarcasm and abusive PM.

Luckily it is rare but unfortunately as the DIBB grows larger and more popular we will see very occasionally the odd inappropriate comment from a member that can't control themselves

All we can do is ask you the members to help us keep the site friendly. The way you can do that is by reporting any post that is causing a problem and avoid retaliating to such posts.
Old 20 Nov 13, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

I think you and the mods do a great job, considering there are over 60,000 members on here, it must be hard to keep on top of everything.

I do think though that the general atmosphere has changed slightly over the years I've been a member. Still, the majority are lovely, friendly, helpful people, but there has been an increase of members who just bring a negative feel to the place. A lot of members have all but disappeared and I can't help but think this is part of the reason.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 13, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
MarkUKinOrlando
Imagineer

This is probably edging near the 'don't comment on people's posting habits' in a way, but it will get rid of some negativity. If someone asks for advice, for example 'Where can I watch football in Orlando?' or 'Where can I get fish and chips on International Drive?' please don't reply with 'Why would you even want to do that? You're on holiday!, just don't reply at all, the OP is asking for advice, not your opinion.

Likewise with people posting about future events in Florida/Orlando that people may be interested in. If someone posts about a concert, and has taken the time to post details, ticket sale times etc, it doesn't need people adding how bad they think that singer is. Just don't post on it.
MarkUKinOrlando is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 13, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Members come and go all the time Lisa, you would be amazed at how many members leave but don't actually leave.

The DIBB is seeing a 20% increase in membership year on year and the number of posts made on the forums has increased dramatically over the last couple of years.

In the first few years of the DIBB everyone knew each other and it created a family atmosphere but there were still problems, I can remember posting similar reminders way back then - that is just the nature of forums.

Generally though I do think people and it's not just on the DIBB have less tolerance and less tact nowadays (god I sound like my dad ).

I don't know if it is the social network generation but I do get the feeling that more people think they can say what they like and get away with it. I have stopped using Facebook because of all the vitriol that is present on there.

Not so long ago if someone had a grievance they would moan about it and get support from their "Real friends" now people run to Facebook and other social sites, baring their soul to a load of strangers and then going off on one when they don't get the sympathy they are looking for!

Here when we look in the Trip planning forums there is nothing but friendly helpful advice, the occasional debate but very friendly.
It only seems to be controversial topics that cause issues, today was the disabled card and it's abuse, previously it's been politics and benefits.

I could remove the non planning forums and that would change things but members deserve somewhere to chat about other things. I think as a group we just need to be a little more tolerant and forgiving when it comes to controversial topics.
Old 20 Nov 13, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
dismadbrit
Imagineer

dismadbrit's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13
In peoples defence though.
Written correspondance such as this can easily be taken the wrong way, or come across rather terse, when it's not meant to be. We all read into it different ways,and some people are quick to respond to this. I have a work colleague who is just awful in her written emails and is often reported but she doesn't say it verbally how it reads (does that make sense?)

However saying that there is no need for nastiness or personal insults I agree.
Old 20 Nov 13, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by dismadbrit View Post
In peoples defence though.
Written correspondance such as this can easily be taken the wrong way, or come across rather terse, when it's not meant to be.
Yes I completely agree with this, I have fallen foul of this myself on occasion, either I have written something and someone has taken it completely different to how I meant it or I have read what someone else has written and taken it differently to how they meant it.

sometimes it's wise to stand back and think did they really mean that before jumping in and replying with something that you may regret later

I nearly always now try and read any reply I make back to myself and invariably end up editing it slightly.