Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Old 14 Jul 18, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Mobile Small grocery shop

OK, so I posted a thread on 'the other' forum about popping to Target to get some groceries. Not a lot, just some oatmeal and milk for breakfast, juice, fruit, bread, sandwich stuff and some snacks to last us 2 weeks for the times we want to eat in. Dinner would always be out. In reality we'd be eating out a mimimum of once a day so i would have thought we wouldn't need to go bonkers on it.

Bearing in mind a FULL grocery shop for us here in the UK could be as low as £80 including things we won't need in FL, like loo roll, frozen food etc., I would expect about $100 max to be more than enough for these items.

Apparently not on the 'other' board! People are suggesting minimum $150, as well as some comments that actually come across as quite rude... Like suggesting we downgrade our accomodation because apparently we can't afford food in America 🙄

Of course we can spend more on groceries if needed, but please tell me there isn't like a 75% mark up on grocery shopping in Target compared to the UK? 🤔😂
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 18, 12:56 AM  
Link to this Post
McSleepy
VIP Dibber

You will find groceries more expensive in Florida. There is also a sales tax added on to your bill at the till.

Walmart or Winn Dixie are probably cheaper than Target.

Sun Haven Villa

Modern 6 Bed Villa
Monitored Alarm
South Facing Pool/Spa
Covered Lanai
Super Fast WiFi
Large screen HDTV
Pool Table

McSleepy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 18, 01:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by McSleepy View Post
You will find groceries more expensive in Florida. There is also a sales tax added on to your bill at the till.

Walmart or Winn Dixie are probably cheaper than Target.
A little more yes (16% more to be exact according to Numbeo), but surely not 50% more for 50% less shopping than I'd get here?

DH is insistant on Target for his American shopping experience
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 18, 02:48 AM  
Link to this Post
ianc
Apprentice Imagineer

That's a 'how long is a piece of string' question. The cost depends on what you buy, what brands you buy, what quantities you buy, etc. The 'ethnic' aisle with the Heinz baked beans, UK tea bags, HP sauce is expensive - buy what the Americans buy instead. Sales tax is 6.5%, 7% or 7.5% depending which county you are in. It only takes half an hour to go in and have a look round Publix or the grocery sections of Target and Walmart - have a quick look at all 3 and compare them yourself. Don't just focus on Target, it depends on where your villa is as to which store is nearest and hence most convenient. In my case Publix is next door - I pop in on my way past every couple of days to buy a few fresh items. Walmart is usually cheapest for a lot of stuff. I only go in Target occasionally as it is further away - for groceries it has no particular advantage. When it comes down to it, all 3 have similar grocery products arranged in similar aisles/cabinets with similar checkouts - just as their UK equivalents Asda, Tesco, Sainsburys, Waitrose have.
Have you not looked at the Target web site? Whilst for some grocery items it refers you to the store for the price, some items are priced and you can see their product range - gives you an idea. Walmart also has a web site. The Publix web site is not available in the UK, but you can view it with a VPN app.
ianc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 18, 03:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ianc View Post
That's a 'how long is a piece of string' question. The cost depends on what you buy, what brands you buy, what quantities you buy, etc. The 'ethnic' aisle with the Heinz baked beans, UK tea bags, HP sauce is expensive - buy what the Americans buy instead. Sales tax is 6.5%, 7% or 7.5% depending which county you are in. It only takes half an hour to go in and have a look round Publix or the grocery sections of Target and Walmart - have a quick look at all 3 and compare them yourself. Don't just focus on Target, it depends on where your villa is as to which store is nearest and hence most convenient. In my case Publix is next door - I pop in on my way past every couple of days to buy a few fresh items. Walmart is usually cheapest for a lot of stuff. I only go in Target occasionally as it is further away - for groceries it has no particular advantage. When it comes down to it, all 3 have similar grocery products arranged in similar aisles/cabinets with similar checkouts - just as their UK equivalents Asda, Tesco, Sainsburys, Waitrose have.
Have you not looked at the Target web site? Whilst for some grocery items it refers you to the store for the price, some items are priced and you can see their product range - gives you an idea. Walmart also has a web site. The Publix web site is not available in the UK, but you can view it with a VPN app.
I did have a look at the Target page, priced up a few things to get a general idea, which left me even more confused as to why i'm being told $150 minimum - I struggled to get the total over $60! lol.

DH and I personally believe despite what's been said, we can get what we need for less than $100.

I think i'm actually more annoyed about being told to 'downgrade my accomodation' based on my grocery budget being too low. Nothing wrong with being sensible with money and just because we're staying in a Deluxe doesn't mean we should be frivolous with money!
Old 15 Jul 18, 04:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I generally shop at Whole Foods (expensive) or a local chain with lots of organic foods. I do not buy "junk" I also am not in a tourist area. Went and did a weekly "big shop" today and spent $28.00. It is just me and I will pick up fish during the week and do not eat meat.

But for what you are looking for, I think you should be fine except I would not buy cold cuts for two weeks at once.

I eat a fair amount of oatmeal in the winter. The name brand is about $3.00 a container. Do not waste money on those sugary little packets. You can make plain oatmeal in the microwave in less than 2 minutes for a few pennies a serving. I never buy sugar cereals. You can buy fine tasting cereals without artificial everything for around $4./box, less on sale.

Buy seasonal fruit and fruit on sale. Decent bread is about $4. a loaf. My pure, all natural, high protein cranberry walnut bread was $5. for a loaf.

If you stay away from processed foods, it can be done. Good quality deli meats can be expensive ($7-8. a pound) but you can get tuna on sale or boil up some eggs for egg salad. Today you could get regular large eggs for $1. dozen. I think organic local eggs were between $3 and 4 dozen. My half dozen were $2,49.

Go to a supermarket or Walmart (and stick to the grocery section). I find target very expensive for what I buy and they have limited selection.

For non food items Walmart is best or even the dollar store.

And remember, candy and cookies are not only expensive look much better than they taste. Ice cream can often be bought for $2. a half gallon.

ETA: Store brands are fine and often quite a bit less expensive.

Edited at 04:14 AM.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 18, 06:16 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7

This was our similiar shop. Only thing I would say is it didn’t last the full two weeks and we topped up later.

This one Is Target

Edited at 07:04 AM.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 18, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
I generally shop at Whole Foods (expensive) or a local chain with lots of organic foods. I do not buy "junk" I also am not in a tourist area. Went and did a weekly "big shop" today and spent $28.00. It is just me and I will pick up fish during the week and do not eat meat.

But for what you are looking for, I think you should be fine except I would not buy cold cuts for two weeks at once.

I eat a fair amount of oatmeal in the winter. The name brand is about $3.00 a container. Do not waste money on those sugary little packets. You can make plain oatmeal in the microwave in less than 2 minutes for a few pennies a serving. I never buy sugar cereals. You can buy fine tasting cereals without artificial everything for around $4./box, less on sale.

Buy seasonal fruit and fruit on sale. Decent bread is about $4. a loaf. My pure, all natural, high protein cranberry walnut bread was $5. for a loaf.

If you stay away from processed foods, it can be done. Good quality deli meats can be expensive ($7-8. a pound) but you can get tuna on sale or boil up some eggs for egg salad. Today you could get regular large eggs for $1. dozen. I think organic local eggs were between $3 and 4 dozen. My half dozen were $2,49.

Go to a supermarket or Walmart (and stick to the grocery section). I find target very expensive for what I buy and they have limited selection.

For non food items Walmart is best or even the dollar store.

And remember, candy and cookies are not only expensive look much better than they taste. Ice cream can often be bought for $2. a half gallon.

ETA: Store brands are fine and often quite a bit less expensive.
Thank you so much for sharing that. That's similar to the sort of things we buy. I am veggie and my husband eats meat, so the only thing we envision buying on that front is a pack of ham or 2 for him.

We will buy most of our sweet treats in the parks so it would be savoury snacks to keep us going.

I knew what I was being told didn't add up. In fact I think even if we just shopped.in the resort shop i'd struggle to spend even $50.

Just people with prejudice against staying in a deluxe and going to a supermarket I guess?