Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Jul 18, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
CinemaMan
Apprentice Imagineer

i've been stopped about six times in the last 10 years, mostly at Sanford but also once at Orlando international, i did manage to get an explanation on the third time at sanford that i wasn't properly exited from the country on their computer system one year and was told that it wouldn't happen again, next couple of times i was ok and went straight through but when i flew into orlando i was again sent to the security room where i was asked had i been a naughty boy lol most of the time i am usually processed in 15 mins but there was one time at Sanford where it took nearly 40 mins the wife was getting really worried by then.
Old 16 Jul 18, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by CinemaMan View Post
i've been stopped about six times in the last 10 years, mostly at Sanford but also once at Orlando international, i did manage to get an explanation on the third time at sanford that i wasn't properly exited from the country on their computer system one year and was told that it wouldn't happen again, next couple of times i was ok and went straight through but when i flew into orlando i was again sent to the security room where i was asked had i been a naughty boy lol most of the time i am usually processed in 15 mins but there was one time at Sanford where it took nearly 40 mins the wife was getting really worried by then.
40 mins is pretty good.

I've had two that took several hours each. The first wasn't so bad because I had Americans with me who argued with the IOs (long story) but the second I had someone picking me up and they refused me a phone call.
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 18, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
We've entered the USA about 35 times and I've yet to meet an aggressive or rude IO. OK so they aren't auditioning for the comedy slot on "America's Got Talent" but I'm confident with my answers and treat them with respect and we get the same treatment back.

Mick
Yep I'm at about half the number of visits... but I'd echo these sentiments entirely. Never had a bad officer. Yes I've had a few that were humourless, a few that barely acknowledged I was there, and a couple of chatty comedians, but then that's all par for the course. Their job is to catch dodgy people, my job is to give them no reason to think I'm dodgy or any reason to want to make me suffer!

I think part of it is that if one is inclined to accept they are doing an important job you will naturally treat them with respect. If one expects them to be a concierge service, or thinks of them as a hindrance to your holiday, then you subconsciously might not be quite so respectful.
Old 16 Jul 18, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Thorpy View Post
Yep I'm at about half the number of visits... but I'd echo these sentiments entirely. Never had a bad officer. Yes I've had a few that were humourless, a few that barely acknowledged I was there, and a couple of chatty comedians, but then that's all par for the course. Their job is to catch dodgy people, my job is to give them no reason to think I'm dodgy or any reason to want to make me suffer!

I think part of it is that if one is inclined to accept they are doing an important job you will naturally treat them with respect. If one expects them to be a concierge service, or thinks of them as a hindrance to your holiday, then you subconsciously might not be quite so respectful.
Right, but being put through a bit of a grinder isn't likely to be about respect as much as it is about systemic failure, e.g. the wrong surname, wrongly matched fingerprints etc. In my case I suffered two forms of systemic failure, one being a complete inability to handle government employees of foreign nationality.
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 18, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Of course there a number of reasons far beyond a passengers control why they are getting looked at anyway. My point being that some can add themsleves to the pile by trying to assert their personality into the conversation with the officers, both consciously and subconsciously.
Old 17 Jul 18, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Thorpy View Post
My point being that some can add themsleves to the pile by trying to assert their personality into the conversation with the officers, both consciously and subconsciously.
I can't deny that would be rather stupid

It's just then when people say "never happened to me", or "just be respectful" it sort of implies that's all there is to it.

Most people would have us all believe that the system works perfectly and the fault is entirely ours. For example system failure that does not mark you as leaving the country. Fortunately you can check this online, rather than trust the system.
Old 17 Jul 18, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Travelling home today , so hope there are no issues this time 😳
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List