Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 18 Jul 18, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
ShezMcQ
Excited about Disney

ShezMcQ's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Final Night on DDP - Please Help Me Choose

Hi,

Ok, so my final night on the DDP is 9 November and when I made my ADRs, I reserved a table at Yachtsman for 18:00 and Cali Grill at 20:00 (to hedge my bets) as I thought it would be nice to experience a signature restaurant once in the stay.

However, I am now having a bit of a wobble as my DS (6) is both very fussy and rather impatient and I do not want to have him barely able to eat anything and then also sitting there for two hours while we have our meal.

Given that the last thing I want on our trip is for the kids to be stressed/unhappy, I was thinking maybe I should change it for something more conventional and looking at the availability now, I could get 50's Prime Time instead--we'll be in HS that night anyway, hence why I originally booked Yachtsman and as we have a car, its easy to get over to the Contemporary for the later reservation if we decide on that one.

For those who have experience of these restaurants, what would you guys do? Do you reckon the staff at Yachtsman/Cali Grill would be accommodating enough that our fussy DS would be catered for? He does love bread so if they could keep a steady flow of that coming, he'd be happy

Or do you think I'd be better leaving the signature for this trip and booking something more family orientated?

If the option is to stick with the signature, which would you recommend? I've been hearing some poorer reports of Yachtsman lately and while its later than we usually eat, Cali Grill would have the added bonus of the fireworks I guess unless they weren't on at the usual time due to MVMCP...

Sorry for the long post! Thanks in advance for your advice
Polynesian Resort/HRH/The Grove - Nov18
RPR/Floridays/Hollywood Beach - Oct19

Edited at 12:20 PM.
ShezMcQ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 18, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Dutchdisneyfan
Apprentice Imagineer

Could you move the meal earlier in your holiday?
My kids are always super tiered at the end of our holiday and just gave up on eating a proper meal. I learned the hard way to make no adr's for the last 2 or 3 days.
Dutchdisneyfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 18, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
ShezMcQ
Excited about Disney

ShezMcQ's Reviews
Hi,

We're only onsite for the first week of our holiday so although this is our last night on the DDP, its not our last night overall
ShezMcQ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 18, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

He will have had a week of onsite dining so will be accustomed to an evening meal in a restaurant every night by then so I'd keep the Yachtsman ... with the promise of Illuminations after. Maybe with glow sticks in your bag as a reward for patience at dinner to have at EPCOT
At six he will be used to sitting sensibly in class and at lunchtimes at school so there's no reason to get impatient on holiday. He will be less tired so perhaps easier with the earlier dining time.
I don't think CG is especially child friendly and eating later usually means grouchier kids.

Edited at 01:15 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 18, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
ShezMcQ
Excited about Disney

ShezMcQ's Reviews
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
He will have had a week of onsite dining so will be accustomed to an evening meal in a restaurant every night by then so I'd keep the Yachtsman ... with the promise of Illuminations after.
At six he will be used to sitting sensibly in class and at lunchtimes at school so there's no reason to get impatient on holiday. He will be less tired so perhaps easier with the earlier dining time.
I don't think CG is especially child friendly and eating later usually means grouchier kids.
Hi,

Thanks for this advice. I hadn't even thought about Illuminations

Yes, I think I will definitely cancel CG as it really is a bit late for us. We're also planning to go to Clearwater the following day so a late night and early start the next day probably isn't a good idea.
Old 18 Jul 18, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Pez01
VIP Dibber

If you keep Yachtsman, you could always dangle the promise of an ice cream/sundae from the counter at Beaches and Cream next door to eat on the way round to the fireworks...

2001 Sheraton International Drive
2016 Caribbean Beach Resort
2017 Port Orleans Riverside
2018 Port Orleans Riverside and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Port Orleans French Quarter and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Disneyland Paris Disneyland Hotel
Pez01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 18, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
ShezMcQ
Excited about Disney

ShezMcQ's Reviews
Originally Posted by Pez01 View Post
If you keep Yachtsman, you could always dangle the promise of an ice cream/sundae from the counter at Beaches and Cream next door to eat on the way round to the fireworks...
Ah bribery... is there any finer parental power?

Unfortunately, fussypants DS doesn't really like ice-cream very much but he could be swayed by a Brownie from the bakery maybe
Old 20 Jul 18, 12:43 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Glow sticks ?
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 18, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
ShezMcQ
Excited about Disney

ShezMcQ's Reviews
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Glow sticks ?
Awh yeah, glow sticks for sure! Who doesn't love a glow stick
Old 20 Jul 18, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Well I'd have kept CG with the promise of seeing the fireworks from the balcony, I haven't eaten at Yachtmen's but looking at vlogs I'd say CG is more kid friendly but TBH none of the Signature's are super kid friendly anyway, atmosphere not staff.
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List