Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Jul 18, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Wazza68 View Post
Ok I’m going to bite and will probably regret it. Without going into specifics, as things stood I could see us slipping into a European super state and voting leave seems the only way to stop this. No one voted to join the EU. There were many other reasons I’m not going into now as I know it’ll open up far more arguments, but the NHS £350m and immigration did not enter my thinking.
I’m curious, why is it you’ve only asked those who voted leave why they voted that way. Surely if we’re looking for common ground we need to ask those who voted remain what they’re reasons were. But for some reason it only ever seems to be those who voted leave who are asked to justify their decision.

However, if we had politicians who had a bit of backbone rather than feathering their own beds we may never have got to a point where a referendum was called in the first place
I voted remain because, although their are many things wrong with the EU, I believed that economically we are far better off in than out. We had opt-outs for things we didn't want, we weren't in Schengen, we weren't in the Euro.
Some times we lost a vote but that's part of being in a club of 28 members and mistakes were made when the EU enlarged which meant that immigration became an issue, particularly in some specific areas.
I was also concerned at the future my children and their children would have, apart from the effects of an economic downturn, with the potential for their rights to travel and work freely under threat from a bad deal.
Lastly I was concerned at the almost glib responses to these concerns from the leave camp, who seemed to be saying whatever they thought people wanted them to say and promising the moon on a stick.
Oh, and Boris Johnson wanted to leave and my gut feeling is if you're on the same side as Boris you're on the wrong side.

Edited at 10:45 AM.
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 18, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
The Tories are cracking

Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 41% (+2)
CON: 36% (-1)
LDEM: 9% (-1)
UKIP: 7% (+1)

via @YouGov, 16 - 17 Jul
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 18, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post

Means nothing, the poll the other week had the Tories on 42%.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 18, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by dotb View Post
Means nothing, the poll the other week had the Tories on 42%.
Tory supporters are moving back to UKIP
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 18, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post

😂😂😂 I’m staying right where I am😂😂😂
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 18, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Tory supporters are moving back to UKIP
Farage, the odious eejit has apparently said he’s coming back to be leader of UKIP. UKIPs ratings climbing, those MPs who are trying to bring the government down had better watch their collective backs, the British Public will not take to all this infighting.

You would think after the last election these politicians would have grasped the fact that the public are totally ≈≈≈≈≈≈ off with the lot of them
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 18, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
Boris' resignation speech today - let's hope he doesn't undermine the efforts. Pigs may fly.
I suspect Boris is going to deliver another Geoffrey Howe moment. Given his egocentricity it will be very difficult to resist.
The odds on the next Conservative leader make grim reading:
Sajid Javid 6/1; Michael Gove 6/1; JRM 7/1
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 18, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by Loftus View Post
I voted remain because, although their are many things wrong with the EU, I believed that economically we are far better off in than out. We had opt-outs for things we didn't want, we weren't in Schengen, we weren't in the Euro.
Some times we lost a vote but that's part of being in a club of 28 members and mistakes were made when the EU enlarged which meant that immigration became an issue, particularly in some specific areas.
I was also concerned at the future my children and their children would have, apart from the effects of an economic downturn, with the potential for their rights to travel and work freely under threat from a bad deal.
Lastly I was concerned at the almost glib responses to these concerns from the leave camp, who seemed to be saying whatever they thought people wanted them to say and promising the moon on a stick.
Oh, and Boris Johnson wanted to leave and my gut feeling is if you're on the same side as Boris you're on the wrong side.
These were mainly my reasons for voting remain too.
Plus my distrust of English politicians meant that I liked the way Europe acted as a bit of a break on some of their policies.

I also actually feel that much Euopean legislation has protected things I care about like workers rights and equality legislation. I worry we will lose much of this in the name of making Britain more competitive and it will actually just allow a very rich, very small minority to make lots of money.

Many of the problems as I saw it was in how the British government implimented European legislation rather than the legislation itself.

Finally I worried that there was no workable way forward to leave and couldn’t envisage hoe it could be done without really damaging the British economy. I didn’t trust Johnson, Gove etc to manage something so important so I guess it was a better the devil you know vote for me in the end.
Old 18 Jul 18, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
I suspect Boris is going to deliver another Geoffrey Howe moment. Given his egocentricity it will be very difficult to resist.
The odds on the next Conservative leader make grim reading:
Sajid Javid 6/1; Michael Gove 6/1; JRM 7/1

I can’t believe people actually want to see JRM in a postition of power, he’s the exact opposite of what I thought the average working person is in the UK. I would have thought that if he’s the leader at the next election Labour would get a landslide can’t see anyone with even a smidgen of Labour in them voting for his Ilk UK politics is in a bit of a mess
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 18, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Is it very telling that when you read through the odds sheet for next leader of the Tory party Theresa May still looks like the front runner.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List