Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 Jul 18, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
JediMuM
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Olympiad View Post
As mentioned above the R66 sign in Santa Monica marks the official end of Route 66. You can drive R66 from there - the route is up Santa Monica boulevard than onto sunset boulevard - and while there are odd markers and signs it isn't quite the same as the empty wild roads that you get further out.
Thanks hun .. we are driving vegas to la .. do you think we could catch it at any point ?

thanks a million Lisa x
Old 9 Jul 18, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by JediMuM View Post
Thanks hun .. we are driving vegas to la .. do you think we could catch it at any point ?

thanks a million Lisa x
Yes around Barstow you can do a bit of Route 66

I also think you’ve got too much time in LA . Things like the walk of fame take very little time really .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 18, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
JediMuM
Imagineer

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
Yes around Barstow you can do a bit of Route 66

I also think you’ve got too much time in LA . Things like the walk of fame take very little time really .
thanks hun ..

can I ask if you were to change the dates for LA would you add them to vegas ?

and any recommendations of must dos and shows ?
we are there 15th until 19th September .. at the minute x
Old 9 Jul 18, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
thanks hun ..

I much prefer Vegas to LA , I spend 10-12 days in Vegas each year and it’s never enough

We have a hire car so go off strip too , you’ve got places like Red rock canyon ,valley of fire , hoover dam, lake mead , Lake Las Vegas all not too far away .

On the strip there’s loads to do depending on what your like , show wise I can’t help as we don’t do shows sorry .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 18, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Re Muir Woods and the Golden gate.. you can kill both birds with one stone and go for a 'Dylan's ultimate cycle tour'.

1 go to Dylan's (Lombard St is just a 300m walk away and worth a look at the Zigzags (you said you like films and can imagine Steve McQueen racing down it in Bullit'.
2 collect bikes and coast down to Fishermens wharf before turning left and cycling to the Golden Gate.
3. Cycle over it and down to Sausalito where you hand in your bikes before grabbing lunch.
4. Get in a minibus and drive through Marin on the way to Muir Woods.
5. Leave Muir Woods in the minibus and get taken back to either Fishermens Wharf or Chinatown close to Union Square.

A great day out!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 18, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

thanks hun ..

For a first time visit I'd say your 4 nights in Vegas is about right and agree that 7 days in L.A. is too much unless you have a lot you want to see. Although I'm in the camp of much preferring L.A. over Vegas so I'd personally split 7 days in L.A. into 3 around the West Hollywood/ Universal/ Burbank area and 4 in one of the beach cities (Santa Monica, Manhattan, Redondo etc).

Not sure if you're doing Disney but if you are then staying around the Anaheim area for 2 or 3 nights would be best for that.

Other options would be to spend some time at another SoCal beach area (Huntington, Newport, Laguna) or a couple of days in Palm Springs and do Joshua Tree NP.

That's the problem with the West coast - too few days and too much to do!
Olympiad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 18, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
Just to check that you are aware that most of the helicopter trips from Vegas go to the West Rim and not the South Rim.

When we went to LV last year, thanks to my late m-i-l we were fortunate enough to be able to fly down to the South Rim, which gave some absolutely spectacular views along the river, and saved the 8 hours plus of driving!

Another option, which may work out quite cost effective, would be to drive and book an overnight stay at Grand Canyon Village. We had originally planned to do this, and had booked one of the lodges. They aren’t cheap, and a few (if not most) do not have aircon, but you would get to enjoy both sunset and sunrise.

We drove to the Hoover Dam, where we really enjoyed the full tour that takes you right into the power hall and the dam wall.

Also drove the opposite direction to yourselves, from LA (Marina del Rey) to LV - not the most interesting of drives, but I was surprised at reaching 4,000 feet on one occasion!

As others have mentioned, it may be worth splitting your LA stay to cover those attractions in the immediate vicinity of the city (WB Studios, Universal, Hollywood etc), then a few days downtime at one of the beaches.

On our trip, we based ourselves near to LAX (Marina del Rey as previously noted), and drove up to Warner Bros and Hollywood on a Sunday when traffic wasn’t bad at all.
2024 The Retirement Roadshow – Part 2:Alaska, 2023 4th Time lucky - Aus & NZ, 2022 Cruising and Tuscany, 2020 A second unexpected staycation - Budapest to West Wales!, 2019 It’s Disney... but not as we know it!,2017 CA Possibly, Maybe, Definitely..,2016 Economy and a Studio Just Isn't Good Enough!
tonymc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 18, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
JediMuM
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Re Muir Woods and the Golden gate.. you can kill both birds with one stone and go for a 'Dylan's ultimate cycle tour'.

1 go to Dylan's (Lombard St is just a 300m walk away and worth a look at the Zigzags (you said you like films and can imagine Steve McQueen racing down it in Bullit'.
2 collect bikes and coast down to Fishermens wharf before turning left and cycling to the Golden Gate.
3. Cycle over it and down to Sausalito where you hand in your bikes before grabbing lunch.
4. Get in a minibus and drive through Marin on the way to Muir Woods.
5. Leave Muir Woods in the minibus and get taken back to either Fishermens Wharf or Chinatown close to Union Square.

A great day out!
Thanks Hun .. Can I check if you need to book the tour in advance ?
thanks lisa x
Old 10 Jul 18, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
JediMuM
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Olympiad View Post
For a first time visit I'd say your 4 nights in Vegas is about right and agree that 7 days in L.A. is too much unless you have a lot you want to see. Although I'm in the camp of much preferring L.A. over Vegas so I'd personally split 7 days in L.A. into 3 around the West Hollywood/ Universal/ Burbank area and 4 in one of the beach cities (Santa Monica, Manhattan, Redondo etc).

Not sure if you're doing Disney but if you are then staying around the Anaheim area for 2 or 3 nights would be best for that.

Other options would be to spend some time at another SoCal beach area (Huntington, Newport, Laguna) or a couple of days in Palm Springs and do Joshua Tree NP.

That's the problem with the West coast - too few days and too much to do!
Hi not really planning on Disney but defo want to do some bach stuff .. which would you recommend .. it would be for the last night or two of our stay
Thanks
Old 10 Jul 18, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
JediMuM
Imagineer

Guys
we have booked pier 2460 (I think it is) in san fran, Venition in vegas and hylton near universal for LA as we are hoping to do 2 nights at HHN (main reason for LA)
we still need to decide on which beach to visit then I need some hotel recommendations
Thanks a million Lisa x