Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Jul 18, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Gezzs
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Fatboyslick View Post
One day we’ll have dual SIMs so we can take temporary tariffs much easier
One day the other (greedy) networks will wake up and allow worldwide usage within the allowance, so we wont need temporary SIMs

Florida: July 2009, Aug 2011, Sept 2014, Sept 2018, Sept 2024
Disneyland Paris: Dec 2023
Gezzs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 18, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
undercovermouse
Helping Mickey

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
All, I've bought a 3 sim and have just loaded £20 credit it on which I thought would be enough to activate the feel at option - is that right?

I sent my daughter a text using the 3 sim which reduced the balance to £19.87 (I think) has this messed things up?

This is what the 3 portal shows me in relation to international access

Am I missing something?

Thanks

BB
Hi BB

I don't want to panic you, but if what the guy I just spoke to at Three is true, you might want to check something with Three before you go.

So I am looking at the Three sim as well - I feel EE is too expensive ( they will currently only offer MAX plan with a phone deal, the roaming bolt-on on a pay as you go sim is a 6 month x £10 commitment ). We used Three in 2015 and it worked okay - the 4G signal in London was terrible when we got back so I reverted back to GiffGaff. Sorry - I am waffling.

Anyhoo - I called Three as I wanted to clarify the difference, other than 3000 mins/texts vs 'all you can eat' , between

a) buying a PAYG Sim, topping up with £20 and buying the £20 'All-in-one 20' 12GB add-on ( which I believe you have done )
vs
b) paying the '1 month Advanced Monthly 12GB all you can eat' for £23

the reason I checked was in case there were any other reason, beside the unlimited calls/texts , to justify the extra £3 a month - and THIS is the thing that concerns me.

He basically said that the US Roaming would NOT work in the US unless the SIM has been active in the UK for at least 30 days. So if I went down the bolt-on route, I don't have enough time to activate roaming. Judging by your countdown, nor do you. So, here's the thing - is he right or wrong? I'd like to now for my own purposes, but I thought I would mention it in case you get caught out - sorry if this is unnecessary panic!
undercovermouse is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 18, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Gezzs
Imagineer

Originally Posted by undercovermouse View Post
Hi BB

I don't want to panic you, but if what the guy I just spoke to at Three is true, you might want to check something with Three before you go.

So I am looking at the Three sim as well - I feel EE is too expensive ( they will currently only offer MAX plan with a phone deal, the roaming bolt-on on a pay as you go sim is a 6 month x £10 commitment ). We used Three in 2015 and it worked okay - the 4G signal in London was terrible when we got back so I reverted back to GiffGaff. Sorry - I am waffling.

Anyhoo - I called Three as I wanted to clarify the difference, other than 3000 mins/texts vs 'all you can eat' , between

a) buying a PAYG Sim, topping up with £20 and buying the £20 'All-in-one 20' 12GB add-on ( which I believe you have done )
vs
b) paying the '1 month Advanced Monthly 12GB all you can eat' for £23

the reason I checked was in case there were any other reason, beside the unlimited calls/texts , to justify the extra £3 a month - and THIS is the thing that concerns me.

He basically said that the US Roaming would NOT work in the US unless the SIM has been active in the UK for at least 30 days. So if I went down the bolt-on route, I don't have enough time to activate roaming. Judging by your countdown, nor do you. So, here's the thing - is he right or wrong? I'd like to now for my own purposes, but I thought I would mention it in case you get caught out - sorry if this is unnecessary panic!
I'd challenge that as their webpage says:

What is Pay As You Go?
No bills, no monthly contract, no minimum term. Just choose the data, minutes and texts you need, and top up. It's that easy.

Plus, with a simple Add-on you can get Feel At Home Around the World, which lets you use your credit in 71 destinations around the world at no extra cost. Check out our Pay As You Go Rates.

If you have to use the SIM in the UK for at least 30 days, that would imply there is a minimum term (IMO).

Gezzs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 18, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
undercovermouse
Helping Mickey

I am challenging it as I type this! On a chat with them now. Jeez...
undercovermouse is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 18, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Gezzs
Imagineer

Originally Posted by undercovermouse View Post
I am challenging it as I type this! On a chat with them now. Jeez...
Wow! I was only trying to help!

Old 12 Jul 18, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gezzs View Post
Wow! I was only trying to help!
i think undercovermouse is frustrated with 3 staff, not you Gezzs .
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 18, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
BONDY LAD
Imagineer

I have bought a 30 day sim for £10 from 3, it says, payg 3k minutes and 3k texts,+1gb data, all in one 10+ add on,will fit any 3G or4g phone,this is for 14 days use in Florida next month, only need for phone and text to other party with us, I take it this will work?.will it, bondy.
BONDY LAD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 18, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Fatboyslick
Apprentice Imagineer

Fatboyslick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by Gezzs View Post
One day the other (greedy) networks will wake up and allow worldwide usage within the allowance, so we wont need temporary SIMs
Why would they?
That's like saying Thomas Cook will allow Virgin Customers on their planes if they had space for no extra charge.

The networks have to pay foreign networks to "rent" space for travellers like ourselves to use it

Disney Land... Disney Land Paris
May14, Sep15... Mar17
Fatboyslick is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 18, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Fatboyslick
Apprentice Imagineer

Fatboyslick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by BONDY LAD View Post
I have bought a 30 day sim for £10 from 3, it says, payg 3k minutes and 3k texts,+1gb data, all in one 10+ add on,will fit any 3G or4g phone,this is for 14 days use in Florida next month, only need for phone and text to other party with us, I take it this will work?.will it, bondy.

Hi Bondy

Three don't make it that easy to get this I dont think (personally).
Presuming you have a Three SIM and then converted credit to the £10 All in One Add On: three/support/top_up#phone_addons

According to the website, you're all good to go and should work

HOWEVER, Three don't offer in-country calling or texting UNLESS the people you're contacting are ALSO on Three's Feel at Home Plan. So if other people are on Vodafone, EE...even a local number... you'll be charged for SMS and Calling.

HOWEVER... you can use data-centric messaging services like Skype to call or iMessage/Facetime or WhatsApp... because that just uses your data. Note that you appear to only have bought 1GB though and I reckon you'd eat that up in two weeks, especially if you use the device for sat nav, social media etc

See here for further explanations: https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/Usi...USA-p-427.html

Disney Land... Disney Land Paris
May14, Sep15... Mar17

Edited at 11:31 AM.
Fatboyslick is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 18, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
BONDY LAD
Imagineer

Many thanks,it’s deffo the second one you mention,the folk I will be phoning ,both of them are on 3s “max plan”,so hopefully I can use it ok,many many thanks for your prompt reply, bondy.
BONDY LAD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List