Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Jul 18, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ingvar View Post
I hope this hasn't been asked before, I did read through and couldn't see it. When I'm in Orlando and calling home or indeed my hubby in Orlando (three Sims) do I need to put 44 then the number? Thank you
No. You just call the number
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 18, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by Stitch & Smudge View Post
You did the right thing in using it here first. On a previous trip I didn’t set the kids sims up until I reached the US and they wouldn’t work until I called it using my phone. After that it worked perfectly. When you get there it may switch between 2 networks, 1 will work but the other might be patchy. Go into your phone settings and turn auto switching to manual and select whichever works better for you. From memory I think AT&T works best.
I just hope that I remember to switch it back when I get home
Old 16 Jul 18, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by Stitch & Smudge View Post
No. You just call the number
Pretty sure you don’t and you need to dial as if you’re dialling back to the U.K. The advice since I’ve used it was to change your stored numbers to add the +44 and drop the zero calling the U.K. and the Three site still says this. The reason is you’re on a foreign network so it’s going to try and process the number you dial/select ‘as is’ and it won’t know you’re trying to reach the U.K.

So I’ll still be making sure my numbers are all set to +44 - which I pretty much do by habit now anyway.

Dave
FloridaDave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 18, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
paulfoel
Imagineer

Do this every year for three of us...

Only hassle is not losing your original sim and remembering to put it back in when you get home.

Tip - buy a sim card holder or something.
paulfoel is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 18, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

Originally Posted by paulfoel View Post
Do this every year for three of us...

Only hassle is not losing your original sim and remembering to put it back in when you get home.

Tip - buy a sim card holder or something.
I use the case you get when you buy a micro sd card and adapter
Old 17 Jul 18, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by undercovermouse View Post
I also took the opportunity to ask whether my wife needed to be on Three/Feel at Home for me to call her whilst over there ( to clarify - she will be with me in Florida, but if we get split up in the parks etc. ) - he was a little hesitant. I think 'technically' you are allowed to call UK numbers but the person should be in the UK - but he said it 'should' work, but also there is a possibility of it getting a message ' this call will be charged for'. Why does this all have to be so blooming vague and ambiguous?
When we went in May one of our parties was on a Vodafone contract and myself and DH both rung her a couple of times from our Three PAYG Sim and it worked fine and we didn't get charged

Originally Posted by lindaj View Post
I am not sure if £20 will be enough. It's all according to how much you want to use it. I went in October, mine isn't PAYG but is 3 contract which includes feel at home. I had a text on my return to the UK saying 'congratulations if you had not had your feel at home agreement your bill would have been £900! I only telephoned UK 4 times to speak to my parents (who are in their 90's so don't stay on the phone for long). when I used the internet I logged onto the free wifi in the condo or where ever I was at the time so I didn't use my own allowance. I am not sure where they got the cost from but I can honestly say I didn't use my phone other than for three phone calls!
The £20 tariff should be more than enough for regular use (non streaming! ) I used it for 3 weeks that was using google for varios things almost daily, Google Maps as my sat nav, Facebook / Insta uploads well basically using EXACTLY as I do in the UK and I barley made a dent in the £20 a month usage allowance. The "This is what it could of cost" is a massive marketing con!
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List