Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Jul 18, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by DisneyArab View Post
I was thinking the same as you until I posted on here and everyone recommended the Dylan’s famous tour. Thought it was expensive , but having done it, would recommend it to anyone, worth the money for me.
In what way though? Getting around is easy enough under your own steam, and in doing so you get to stay for longer or less time in each place as you see fit.

Is having a guide narrating to you really worth that kind of money?

What else are you paying for?

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 18, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
red cuillen
Excited about Disney

It's not just a driving tour, it's all the added detail and stories that make it interesting. We wouldn't have known about Clarion St, (the graffiti street), learnt about tenderloin and the mafia, see where Janis Joplin and Jimmy Hendrix hung out etc etc. We only did half a day, finishing in Sausalito as we were going into the redwoods ourselves later in the trip. (The half day tour did include twin peaks btw.)
red cuillen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 18, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
In what way though? Getting around is easy enough under your own steam, and in doing so you get to stay for longer or less time in each place as you see fit.

Only you can really decide if its worth it for your family. Some people like tours and all the extra info and history that goes with it and some people like to do their own thing. From a costing point of view on your own would no doubt be cheaper but the famous tour covers about 10 different stops so that would be a lot to cover on your own especially with Muir Woods. How are you getting around? Driving, Muni or Uber?
DCL: '14 Disney Magic.
Disney Wishing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 18, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyArab
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post

I suppose it’s personal choice. We had three full days, Day 1 was the tour and we saw most of the city including Muir Woods, day 2 in the morning was Alcatraz. This left us one and a half days to revisit places and visit places not on the tour. We used public transport on the 3rd day and it was easy enough but we would never have seen all that we did in the tour. We drove through areas we wouldn’t have visited ourselves-tenderloin, haight Ashbury etc and they were interesting to see. The guide was so informative, as I said previously, even our children found it really interesting. We have never done a tour like that before and I was a bit skeptical beforehand, but for me personally, it was well worth the money.
DisneyArab is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 18, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We did the famous tour at Easter and it works at your own pace. It is a really, beautiful, leisurely day and you can have a look at Lombard St before you start as it is very close to Dylan's shop.

For me, a very important part was that we dumped the bikes in Sausalito and never saw them again. I would not have fancied the ride back! We had 2 hours in Sausalito to get a meal and an ice cream before picking up the minibus to Muir Woods. The commentary from 'Adam', a local to Marin was really good.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 18, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyArab
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
We did the famous tour at Easter and it works at your own pace. It is a really, beautiful, leisurely day and you can have a look at Lombard St before you start as it is very close to Dylan's shop.

For me, a very important part was that we dumped the bikes in Sausalito and never saw them again. I would not have fancied the ride back! We had 2 hours in Sausalito to get a meal and an ice cream before picking up the minibus to Muir Woods. The commentary from 'Adam', a local to Marin was really good.
Adam was our guide too and thought he was excellent.
DisneyArab is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 18, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

We did the Famous Tour.

It was fantastic.

We also got 15% off with a discount code. Just had a quick look and it appears may be 10% off at moment.

Worth having a good look.
Old 16 Jul 18, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
lynne6705
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Sorry for yet another post asking for opinions

Decided to book the full 7 hour tour for our first full day in San Francisco but then realized we have the Alcatraz night tour on that day and I cannot move this. Ideally want to do the Dylans tour on the first day so we can spend the next day's revisiting areas that we liked.

Has anyone done the tour and night trip to Alcatraz in one day, just wondered if it will be too much official stuff at once?
lynne6705 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 18, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by lynne6705 View Post

Decided to book the full 7 hour tour for our first full day in San Francisco but then realized we have the Alcatraz night tour on that day and I cannot move this. Ideally want to do the Dylans tour on the first day so we can spend the next day's revisiting areas that we liked.

Has anyone done the tour and night trip to Alcatraz in one day, just wondered if it will be too much official stuff at once?
It would be possible but would certainly be a full on day. The famous tours finishes around 3.30 to 4pm so you would have a small gap before the night tour. Alcatraz will take you at least 2 hours (we spent nearer three) so depending on your stamina and, if this is your first day in California, whether you cope with jet lag well.
DCL: '14 Disney Magic.
Disney Wishing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 18, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by lynne6705 View Post

I am doing the Alcatraz tour this morning and Dylan’s are then picking us up off the ferry for a tour. We have booked the e-tuk tuk tour. I’ll report back later!
Colette-S is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List