Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Jul 18, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Another insurance question

Sorry for another insurance related question! Hoping to get some opinions.

I have a condition which I can take prescribed medication for if needed. However I no longer need to take the medication as it's totally manageable right now.

My problem is, although I don't need to take medication for my condition, on the insurance there was a question asking if I take medication for it. At the time I answered yes because I was.

I still have the condition, just not medicated (which is perfectly fine, safe and encouraged).

Apparently if I tell the insurer I'm no longer taking medication my premium could go sky high or they could refuse cover, which I definitely don't want.

There's less than a 0000.2% chance this condition could remotely need hospitalisation on holiday. The worst that could happen is a panic attack or something similar. To put in perspective i've very very very rarely had one. NEVER been hospitalised for it that's for sure. If i did i'm sure i'd be able to just tell whoever was around give me 15 mins and i'll be fine!

Anyone else had experience of this?

Edited at 06:28 PM.
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 18, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
mickchick
Imagineer

mickchick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
You are over thinking this. The fact is you have been prescribed medication but because you now choose not to take it would quite rightly alarm an insurer who would require a doctor to sign you off. They are never happy with their insured deciding for themselves that they don't need treatment. So simply declare your condition, tell the insurer about the medication as if you are taking it, and that is all you need to do.
mickchick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 18, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mickchick View Post
You are over thinking this. The fact is you have been prescribed medication but because you now choose not to take it would quite rightly alarm an insurer who would require a doctor to sign you off. They are never happy with their insured deciding for themselves that they don't need treatment. So simply declare your condition, tell the insurer about the medication as if you are taking it, and that is all you need to do.
This was my original thought - just continue with the policy as normal and not tell them that i don't need the medication at the moment.

It's just I read horror stories of people being asked about other conditions etc. and accidentally voiding their policy in the event of a claim. They'll look for any reason not to pay.

But again don't want to invalidate the policy by telling them.

Another option is to take the medication with me, at least then i'm covered if that happens I can say just for insurance purposes that I am taking it.

I hate that insurance companies are so picky with things!
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 18, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Northerndave
Being a bit Goofy

OP, has your Doctor recommended you stop taking your medication, or have you decided yourself?

If the former, you've nothing new to declare. If the latter and you fell ill due to not taking the medication, then you could be on a sticky wicket.
Old 16 Jul 18, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Northerndave View Post
OP, has your Doctor recommended you stop taking your medication, or have you decided yourself?

If the former, you've nothing new to declare. If the latter and you fell ill due to not taking the medication, then you could be on a sticky wicket.
It's a very low dosage I took when my stress levels were high. Dr is neither here nor there on it. Can stop taking without consulting them so long as done sensibly which it was.

It's something i can choose to go back on or go off any time really.

My concern would be even though the Dr would just say 'yeah whatever', it would be a change from condition with medication to a condition with no medication on the insurance policy, and I think they might be all weird about it?

Once the Dr/surgery knew it would be on my medical record that i'm officially no longer prescribed/taking it.

Am i just overthinking like the other poster said?
Old 17 Jul 18, 12:55 AM  
Link to this Post
linder
Imagineer

linder's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Doesn’t the insurance go back two years anyway, when I was on meds for stress I had to leave it as is was until the two years was up
linder is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 18, 01:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by linder View Post
Doesn’t the insurance go back two years anyway, when I was on meds for stress I had to leave it as is was until the two years was up
That's right.

Not taking stress off, but the medication question is separate. I answered yes to that. It could cause (expensive) problems if i was to make a change to the policy with regards to the medication question.

Not sure what to do.
Old 17 Jul 18, 02:03 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

I had a similar problem - slight difference in that I had never actually taken the meds I was prescribed.
When I called them, I explained what had happened - that I had been prescribed them but never taken them. The line they took was that I needed to declare this regardless of whether I had used them or not.
So I think you have two options - declare it or take the risk. The problem with taking the risk is they wont cover anything that they could in any way remotely relate to the condition.
I agonised over this, but in the end just called them and explained the situation - so it is all recorded should they ever be a problem.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 18, 07:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Custancia
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 16
No specific experience, so use this advice with caution but from a common sense point of view.
You have the condition. You have been prescribed and have access to the medication (if you take it with you), so you are actively working with your GP/Health prescriber, to ensure that the condition is manageable and remains controlled (reducing insurance risk). Unless they ask what doseage/frequency you take the medication on the insurance Qs, then I think you are covered. You are just using it as PRN [as and when required meds) not daily.
It might perhaps be worth getting your GP to ensure this is on your UK meds notes, then it is clear that you are taking it in accordance with GP instructions in case something else happens which lands you in hospital and it is evident from any blood work that it’s not in your system. As someone else has said, it is probably worth explaining this to the insurers just to be super sure, then you won’t have this nagging at the back of your mind whilst on holiday. I would angle it as you have the meds, and use in accordance with the Prescribers advice, it’s just that it’s not always a daily medication which is why you are ensuring they understand the condition. What the insurers will want to avoid covering is a medical condition which is not being appropriately medically supervised, and might cause a claim on holiday.

Enjoy your holiday!

WDW POR 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015 (Xmas), 2016 and 2018
Custancia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 18, 07:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Gelatoni View Post
It's a very low dosage I took when my stress levels were high. Dr is neither here nor there on it. Can stop taking without consulting them so long as done sensibly which it was.

It's something i can choose to go back on or go off any time really.

My concern would be even though the Dr would just say 'yeah whatever', it would be a change from condition with medication to a condition with no medication on the insurance policy, and I think they might be all weird about it?

Once the Dr/surgery knew it would be on my medical record that i'm officially no longer prescribed/taking it.

Am i just overthinking like the other poster said?
What you need to be is truthful. You have been prescribed medication for a condition and therefore should follow the instructions on the prescription. Its a bit unclear if your GP has told you its OK for you not to take it or if you just think you GP would be OK with you not taking it. There is a big difference. If your GP has said that you only need to take the medication when you feel you need it then that is you following advice and I would suggest no requirement to inform insurance company as there is no change ie you have a prescription for medication and you are following it.

On the other hand if you have decided off your own back to stop taking a prescribed medication and your GP is unaware then potentially you would not be covered if something happened when away. Equally if you told the insurance company you had decided not to take medication for your condition without your GP knowledge chances are they wouldn't cover you anyway.
Dinglebert is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List