Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Jul 18, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
lilo82
Imagineer

Mobile Insurance claim?

Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation my mum has been admitted to a&e with pneumonia. We are/were due to travel next week? my dad has reassured me that my family and I should go. However doctors have said she could deteriate at any moment. Where do we stand with insurance we have lv premier
lilo82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 18, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
firstly so sorry about your Mum I hope she makes a speedy recovery.

As with all these questions you need to read your actual policy but if the pneumonia is linked to a pre-existing condition of your Mum that you didn't declare to the insurer when taking out the policy then you won't be covered for cancellation.

If this is not linked to any pre-existing condition then it is down to the coverage of the actual policy.
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 18, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs dee
Imagineer

So sorry to hear this. My wee Dad took pneumonia and was really unwell and we were due to go on holiday. I phoned tab insurance and they told me not to worry and call them if things took a turn and we could cancel on our insurance. My Dad was in a nursing home with dementia and not once was there a - is this connected to a previous illness. Ultimately it was as he lost his swallow getting fed etc initially it was touch and go. In the end he came ok and we got away. So not sure if you mean your mum was due to go too ? Or is it just yourselves x

Edited at 05:53 PM.
Mrs dee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 18, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
lilo82
Imagineer

Mobile

thank you Mrs Dee, no it is just myself husband and children.
lilo82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 18, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
lilo82
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you VHM I was hoping to speak to insurers but I am worried if I say something incorrect it may invalidate my claim.
Old 17 Jul 18, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
nordictat2girl
Imagineer

You should be able to claim.

For example: Most travel insurances cover for illness is centered on the following coverage:

Trip cancellation – as in you have to cancel your trip due to a personal illness, an illness in the family, or an ill business partner.
If you explain that your mother has taken a turn for the worse...this clearly fits under the illness of a family member.

When my mum took a turn for the worse...I didn't make it back in time.
I really hope your mum recovers though. Xx
West Coast road trip 2018 (CO,CA,MT,ID,WA,OR,NV,UT) Yellowstone/Yosemite
Alabama, Florida & New Orleans - May 19
nordictat2girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 18, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Ciano
Imagineer

Ciano's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Oh lilo thats an awful position to be in. I would def ring insurance co and ask them what your options are. You dont have to decide anything right now but you need to know your options. Please God she will make an improvement once she gets the right treatment. Wishing her a full recovery x
Old 17 Jul 18, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

We were about to go to Texas once. My wife rang me at work and said her tummy was hurting (I said it'll be wind lol). 12 hours later she'd had a life saving operation for cecal volvulus. Same thing that killed the Bee Gee. 2.8 cases per million people.
We claimed on the insurance no problem and a few months later went to Dominican Republic.
Read the policy, and hope it's OK.

Edited at 09:16 PM.
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 18, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

I just looked at an LV policy quickly on my phone. You need to check yours and check policy cover, but the one I've looked at , you will be fine:

"If you or a relative or someone you are going to stay with or a travelling companion or
a colleague, dies, is seriously injured or becomes seriously ill."

Pneumonia requiring hospitalisation will certainly be classed as becoming 'seriously ill'.
'Relative' , unsurprisingly includes mother.
Old 17 Jul 18, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
It may depend on their definition of “family”, could be you/hubby and dependants only or those at the same address or your/hubby parents. You’ll need to speak to your insurer to confirm, just be open and honest with them, it’s only a query at this time.

Hope all ok with your Mum.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List