Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Jul 18, 06:41 AM  
Link to this Post
anniewomble
Helping Minnie

Young looking 22 year old?

My son is 22 but looks very young, could probably pass for under 18, if he wants to have a beer etc whilst at one of the parks will he need to carry around his passport at all times? My daughter at 20 looks older than her brother and can obviously have a drink here, but can’t in Florida as she is under 21, can we get her the odd drink? By the way we are not a family that are big drinkers at all, just thought she might like to try a cocktail at animal kingdom for instance or a glass of wine with dinner. Thanks
anniewomble is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 18, 06:42 AM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

Its against the law for under 21 to drink... Good luck with that if you are caught
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 18, 06:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Charl_bb
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

My dad got asked for ID when he was over 40 so I would suggest carrying ID at all times.
Charl_bb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 18, 06:49 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
He’ll need to carry ID if he wants to drink alcohol regardless. They’re very strict about asking for ID even when we would think it was obvious. I seem to remember a rule that if someone looked younger than 35 they were asked but that may be a myth.
And as has been previously said, if you get caught buying alcohol for your underage daughter you could (most likely will) be prosecuted. I wouldn’t risk it.

Edited at 06:50 AM.
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 18, 06:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP.

Your Daughter will have to remain dry. They are red hot on checking ID's and they personally face a heavy penalty for serving under age drinkers so it would be a no no.

With regard to your Son thats fine. This is the Disney policy below so he will need his driving licence and a photo of his passport on his phone. The actual passport is not required.

Any Guest who wishes to purchase an alcoholic beverage at any site in the state of Florida—including Walt Disney World Resort and Disney’s Vero Beach Resort—must present one of the following valid forms of identification:

U.S. state driver’s license (includes U.S. territories*)
U.S. state ID (includes U.S. territories*)
U.S. military ID
Original passport
Copy of passport (either on paper or captured on a mobile device), along with a government-issued photo ID** that can verify the person and birth date shown on the copy
NEXUS card issued by U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (Canadian Guests only)

Please note: All Guests visiting from outside of the United States are required to present both a valid passport as well as another form of government-issued photo ID from their country of origin.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 18, 06:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

I think it's related to a litigation culture. I've seen plenty of places that operate a simple straightforward no ID, no alcohol policy, irrespective of if you look like you're a pensioner or a teenager. It means they can't get caught out, either by selling to anyone underage, or by anyone accusing them of age related discrimination. It also means that their employees are not put in a position where they are making yes or no judgments, and therefore not subjected to bartering with customers insistent they are of age.
Old 18 Jul 18, 07:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
They are so red hot on checking that the bar staff at the Poly where the bar area is dimly lit carry mini maglite torches on their belts to illuminate the licence you hand them.

Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 18, 07:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
OP.

Your Daughter will have to remain dry. They are red hot on checking ID's and they personally face a heavy penalty for serving under age drinkers so it would be a no no.

With regard to your Son thats fine. This is the Disney policy below so he will need his driving licence and a photo of his passport on his phone. The actual passport is not required.

Any Guest who wishes to purchase an alcoholic beverage at any site in the state of Florida—including Walt Disney World Resort and Disney’s Vero Beach Resort—must present one of the following valid forms of identification:

U.S. state driver’s license (includes U.S. territories*)
U.S. state ID (includes U.S. territories*)
U.S. military ID
Original passport
Copy of passport (either on paper or captured on a mobile device), along with a government-issued photo ID** that can verify the person and birth date shown on the copy
NEXUS card issued by U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (Canadian Guests only)

Please note: All Guests visiting from outside of the United States are required to present both a valid passport as well as another form of government-issued photo ID from their country of origin.
Tom, appreciate that they are the official rules, and clearly i'm not posting this for your benefit, but to round out the picture for others.

If you want to be sure you can drink, then that's what you will need to carry, more ID than you need to get a mortgage! Sometimes they are that strict, sometimes they are not, but if they are, you just have to accept it.

Despite the official rules, and what I posted above...I've been just fine with nothing in some places and only my driving license in others. Never carried my passport or a copy. I carry my driving license instead of anything else because it can cope with water rides !
If that means I get turned down because I don't have ID, so be it, I don't drink much anyway. As to whether I look over 21... I'm in my 40's.
Old 18 Jul 18, 07:20 AM  
Link to this Post
blades
VIP Dibber

I once got asked for Id at a pool bar in St Petes when I was 35 - I had just got out of the pool in my shorts and they still wanted ID

Must be a sign of getting old I don’t get asked now
blades is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 18, 07:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Thorpy View Post
Tom, appreciate that they are the official rules, and clearly i'm not posting this for your benefit, but to round out the picture for others.

If you want to be sure you can drink, then that's what you will need to carry, more ID than you need to get a mortgage! Sometimes they are that strict, sometimes they are not, but if they are, you just have to accept it.

Despite the official rules, and what I posted above...I've been just fine with nothing in some places and only my driving license in others. Never carried my passport or a copy. I carry my driving license instead of anything else because it can cope with water rides !
If that means I get turned down because I don't have ID, so be it, I don't drink much anyway. As to whether I look over 21... I'm in my 40's.
Hi. You are right, they want total verification.
Sad to say I haven't been the subject of ID checks ever since I first went in 1976 aged 21!
They certainly dont ID me now.

My Son is 29 but still gets checked. He has always used a colour photocopy of his licence he keeps in his wallet plus his D/Lic. No problems at all.

But, they can get twitchy.

The fines for an establishment and an employee can be very high.