Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 31 May 19, 06:17 AM  
Link to this Post
dreamadream
Imagineer

Mobile

This happens at hubbys garage all the time. People have the work done and then claim poverty! I would never go into a restaurant, eat the food and then claim I can’t pay, so why they think they can I don’t know! He has even had a few women over the years offer payment in kind...
dreamadream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by parisdisneyfan View Post
MH where are you based? I will soon have a house that needs rewired. I pay promptly and supply homemade cake throughout the job😉

I hate it when tradespeople don’t tell me what I owe them straight away. I felt guilty last week as I was ill and had to cancel my nail and facial appointment on the day and wasn’t charged - that was an hour and a half that they may not have been able to rebook.

I guess although there are benefits to being self employed, there are also disadvantages.
I am West London but I don't do rewires anymore as too much like hard work and too much hassle, so I just work a couple of days a week (only one day this week). I would still however, appreciate the homemade cakes😀

I am lucky that I can give up anytime, but it sounds as though more and more people are taking liberties with wanting things now and expecting to pay later.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Loobylou_82
Imagineer

Mobile

The builder/joiner I use wants paying up front in kind 😚 before he'll start any jobs in our house. Good job I'm married to him !
Loobylou_82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

What do your T&Cs say about late payment?
Old 31 May 19, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

Just remembered my mums next door neighbour... awkward old man always arguing for the cheapest price... had a beautiful new drive laid... 2 weeks later the men came back and broke it all up leaving an awful mess, he eventually replaced it with a very basic drive, nowhere near as nice...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by returnplanning View Post
What do your T&Cs say about late payment?
Payment required on completion of the work.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Loobylou_82 View Post
The builder/joiner I use wants paying up front in kind 😚 before he'll start any jobs in our house. Good job I'm married to him !
I’ve got one of them, I’m in debt about £100,000!
Old 31 May 19, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by djewkes View Post
Just remembered my mums next door neighbour... awkward old man always arguing for the cheapest price... had a beautiful new drive laid... 2 weeks later the men came back and broke it all up leaving an awful mess, he eventually replaced it with a very basic drive, nowhere near as nice...
I tend to usually spot the timewasters and luckily I don't work for them. Poor blokes all their time waste doing the drive.

I recently had a bloke call me for a small job and he went on and on about the 2 trademen that were trying to rip him off with their high quotes. I always establish where people live as I only work locally, and he lives in a private Road in a lovely area (houses from £1.5 million), and I gave him an estimate based on what he told me (subject of course to seeing the job), and he said that my quote was more than the other 2 quotes and what was my best price for cash. I said that my cash price was the same, and that he better get one of the other electricians to do the job.

The way he went on and on about the other guys trying to rip him off I thought they were quoting triple my quote

Edited at 11:56 AM.
Old 31 May 19, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Laurabelle84
Excited about Disney

I remember years ago when I was a wee girl, my mum & dad had a decorator in to do the hall. He came for a day or 2 & started the job then asked for some payment (not sure if it was for materials) but they gave him the whole amount due in trust... guy never came back. Only about 1/4 job done & he took the money & ran. Must've been over 20 years ago now so tracking him down wasn't as easy as now so he got away with it.

Taught me from a young age only pay on completion, but I would always pay, never ask if I can pay at a later date once all the works been done - that's just a brass neck! x
Laurabelle84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Laurabelle84 View Post
I remember years ago when I was a wee girl, my mum & dad had a decorator in to do the hall. He came for a day or 2 & started the job then asked for some payment (not sure if it was for materials) but they gave him the whole amount due in trust... guy never came back. Only about 1/4 job done & he took the money & ran. Must've been over 20 years ago now so tracking him down wasn't as easy as now so he got away with it.

Taught me from a young age only pay on completion, but I would always pay, never ask if I can pay at a later date once all the works been done - that's just a brass neck! x
That is outrageous and clearly theft.

I understand with big jobs such a full house rewire or a £40,000 extension, that the tradespeople will need some money as they go along, and a contract should stipulate how much at each point of the work. I did the same when my loft was done (part payments as the work progressed), as there are too many stories I've heard of builders/tradepeople taking the money and doing a runner.

Even if the builder/tradespersons are 100% honest, god forbid they have a serious accident or worse, you have possibly lost your money (I've known that to happen),