Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Jun 19, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post

We are picking up our french bulldog puppy in 4 weeks.
We searched extensively for a good few years to make sure we got the right breed and this type of dog fit the bill perfectly.
We couldn’t get a rescue due to children but found our puppy via a kennel club breeder where they’re dna tested which is fab .
The breeder has been great and only has one litter a year which I think is important
and the puppy’s dad was a crufts group winner last year too and while that’s not important,it is important for us to know he comes from a responsible breeder who cares about her dogs and any future puppies .
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 07:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
It’s so good you are really focusing on what you want.

Whilst I applaud the adopt a rescue dog posts and those that have actually done this, rescue dogs are not always the most suitable for new owners, they won’t have a full background history and they won’t home with young children ( quite rightly INMHO, as they don’t have a full history)

I would say, if more people researched buying puppies, getting the breed most suited to their families needs , taking into account family dynamics etc ie Border Collies don’t like shouty voices they need calm, daily, consistent, training. Other breeds don’t worry about shouty voices ie kids or male loud voices, we wouldn’t have so many dogs in rescue centres and being out to sleep through no fault of their own
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 07:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
There’s a border collie near me , they also have a older collie and they spend a good few hours outside each day teaching the puppy , he’s a beautiful dog very friendly but he seems hard work

I’ve a chocolate lab we got her at 8 weeks , she was pretty much house trained and she was so easy to train . We’ve our 9 month old granddaughter living with us and she’s fab with her couldn’t wish for a better dog .
Labs, historically the best dogs with kids etc gentle souls ( obviously someone will know one that bit, all dogs can bite).

This is the breed we had when the kids were small, along with golden retrievers. Beautiful, calm loving dogs. There’s so many out there.

good luck OP can’t wait to-see what you eventually chose
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
mushumadness
VIP Dibber

mushumadness's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
reading into labs, they arnt as big as i thought
seem to have excellent temprements for children, love good walk, and are more open to being trained
mushumadness is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by mushumadness View Post
seem to have excellent temprements for children, love good walk, and are more open to being trained
We got our 2 Labs (got one then 6 months later got another) when our girls were 8 and they have been the best family dogs.

Ours are from working lines so not as wide as show breeds. They love exercise but are also happy bimbling in the garden. Love swimming and chasing a ball.
At first as puppies they can be fairly mad and chew everything (one of ours was a chewer the other thankfully wasn’t) but crate training helped with that.
The girls have always been involved in walking the dogs and we put a lot of time and effort into making sure they could control them.
Old 17 Jun 19, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
IMHO this is the best choice
Old 17 Jun 19, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Another vote for a Labrador from me, I have one who is 13 months, and he's a gem. He loves every person, dog, cat, rabbit he's so friendly. He loves his walks but just sleeps at home or plays with his toys.
He's excellent with kids, and just seems to know when he needs to be gentle. I take him to non league football and one match he had 5 of the mascots down on the floor ragging him, but he's so gentle with the little 3 year old who comes to see the horses with her Nan.
I would crate one though whilst you are out, as they can chew, and it helps so much with toilet training.
Old 17 Jun 19, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Halowa
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Hooray4Disney View Post
The term ‘mongrel’ is used for dogs of either unknown breeding or unintentional breeding.

A crossbreed is an intentional breeding of two purebred dogs.

A mixed breed is a mix of two or more intentional breeding of dogs.
They are still classed as a mongrel.
Old 17 Jun 19, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Gilly120
Imagineer

Labs make wonderful family pets. Girls are normally smaller than boys and working ones are usually slighter than show ones. We have a show type and he is very wide and large, but he is so lovely and kind he gives his paw too all the children who meet him. He is an incredible swimmer.
Old 17 Jun 19, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Mobile

Hi sorry
Small to mid size breed
Friendly
With children
Will be waking for at least an hour daily which fits with my excercise plan
I have four kids 10/9/8/8
Not too high shedding
And not to be needing clipping every week
Not too springy my brother has a border terrier and she’s insane crazy
It's a shame you don't want a terrier as a staffie sounds ideal.
I've had 2 - brilliant dogs , just a shame lots of idiots have got them recently and given them a bad name
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List