Old 3 Nov 18, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Beer, Bears and Bratwurst in Berlin - day 6 Sunday 28th October 2018

Welcome to the Beer, Bears and Bratwurst in Berlin trip report!

I’m Abby, my DH is Dave and we have 2 children Max (14) and Kate (11). We love a city break in October half term and this year we were trying out Germany as we’d never been before, specifically Berlin. We like walking and each day we had a tour designed by me to take in the sights of the city.

The clocks went back overnight, but we didn’t have an early flight as the return flight wasn’t until 6pm and check out was noon so we weren’t in a rush to get ready.

Earlier in the week Dave’s eyemask had gone missing (he likes complete darkness when he is sleeping and often hotel rooms are not as dark as he would like). He had said to us that he had a clear memory of putting it into his bag one morning and then when he went to get it out at bed time it wasn’t there…we found the eyemask behind Kate’s suitcase while we were packing up. We found it quite funny that he had a ‘clear memory’ of putting it in his bag and yet there it was behind her case which was over the other side of the room to his bag. I managed to laugh quite a while at that.

Rather than be pleased it had been found I think he was actually a bit cross as he’d already spotted a potential replacement on Amazon which was much better and now he couldn’t order it as he didn’t need it.

We had a plan for the day that included some of our highlights of the trip.

I wanted to revisit the Holocaust memorial and try and get as many bear photos as possible. Max wanted to go to a play park in Tiergarten park. Kate wanted to go to the trampolines near the TV tower. Dave wanted to eat traditional Bavarian food one last time as he had a hankering for either schnitzel or goulash if it had dumplings with it.

So, off we went to the Tiergarten. Max was satisfied with his choice and it was a good park.

They tried to complete the obstacle course without falling off.

In the last photo the log Kate is on was spinning and so it was quite tricky to walk across. The kids enjoyed the park.

We did manage to visit the Holocaust memorial briefly.

We wandered up the Unter den Linden towards the TV Tower to fulfil Kate’s request.

I was pleased as we spotted a couple of bears we hadn't seen before.

There were already some little children playing on the trampolines, but I had spotted a bear.

The boys had a little rest waiting for the trampolines.

We didn't have to wait long before there was a free trampoline.

I had a go on the trampolines and so did everyone else.

Then we walked back across the river heading towards to Maximillian’s for lunch.

Again, we went a different route and spotted a couple of bears and a bear shop.

It was another cold day and quite windy again, but it was dry so I think we'd had pretty good weather really overall.

The restaurant wasn't busy and we found a table easily.

I had the Bavarian sausages with sauerkraut and mash with a glass of beer.

Dave had goulash and dumplings with a glass of Merlot.

The kids both had pork schnitzel with fries and salad.

Then on the way back to the hotel we went to the Back Factory to have some pastries for pudding and to buy some snacks for the plane.

The boys both picked out something for later, Dave had a sandwich, Max had a sausage roll.

Kate had wanted to go to Lidl as she had seen they sold sushi so that was her choice for the flight home, but we hadn’t realised it wasn’t open on Sunday. So she was a bit upset, but I said that we would be able to find something she would like at the airport.

We picked up the cases from the hotel and took a taxi back to the airport.

We spotted one last bear and I couldn't resist getting a photo.

After going through security I went to the shop with Kate and she found some sushi and a cheese covered pretzel.

The flight left just after 6pm, we had a lot of turbulence on the flight home and the seat belt sign was on most of the time.

We caught the APH bus back to the car park. There was quite a lot of rain on the journey home, but we got in around 9.30pm. We were tired but we’d had a fun trip.

Steps today: 22,793

Total for the week: 160,688 steps – not bad really. For us on holiday this is below our average as we only had 1 day where we topped 30,000 steps and the others all hovered around 22,000.

We like walking around a city as we really feel that we get to know it better, we get to see some of the less touristy areas and we stumble upon some interesting buildings, statues and parks on our travels.

We had a great time in Berlin and did manage to eat a lot of sausage, drink a fair amount of beer and see a large number of bears! I would highly recommend Berlin as a short break, we enjoyed our time there and it was a really interesting city.

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to read our Berlin Adventure. I hope you enjoyed it.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 18, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Thanks Abby for a great report! I loved the fact that at 14 Max loved the parks - so nice to see kids being kids!

And another day of delicious looking food too!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 18, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

I love Berlin. A lovely trip report, thank you.
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 18, 11:59 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Great pictures and it looks like you all had a really good time. We loved Berlin - glad you did too.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 18, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Thanks Abby for a great report! I loved the fact that at 14 Max loved the parks - so nice to see kids being kids!

And another day of delicious looking food too!
I agree, he is still a toddler at heart even though he's got size 10 feet and is about 5 ft 9 now!

Thanks for reading Mel.

Originally Posted by Loftus View Post
I love Berlin. A lovely trip report, thank you.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. We found Berlin a beautiful city to walk around.

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
Great pictures and it looks like you all had a really good time. We loved Berlin - glad you did too.
We did enjoy a more laid back trip, essentially we wandered about and we ate lots of food! It was fun to do that in such an interesting city.

I'm so grateful for the trip report you posted. Thank you for helping to make our trip to Berlin special. I found out about the Reichstag, the East side gallery and of course Back Factory in your report. I doubt we'd have done any of these if I hadn't seen them before. On the day we visited the parliament there were lots of people asking for tickets and being turned away, I felt rather smug at that point!

I hope you enjoyed seeing some of the sights again, I know I love reading trip reports of places I've been to as it brings back memories.

Edited at 10:04 AM.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 18, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Great last day! That did make me chuckle about Dave losing his eyemask . Jim does that all the time with his possessions and its usually my fault that its not where he left it!
You managed to squeeze loads into your last day which is good going. Maximilian's look great again, I'm definitely having their pork schnitzel when we go! Those trampolines in the pavement look like great fun so will be very tempted to go on them myself!
Thank you for posting Abby, you've given me more ideas to add to my list for when we're there! Unfortunately we only have 3 nights so lots to squeeze in

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 18, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Great last day! That did make me chuckle about Dave losing his eyemask . Jim does that all the time with his possessions and its usually my fault that its not where he left it!
You managed to squeeze loads into your last day which is good going. Maximilian's look great again, I'm definitely having their pork schnitzel when we go! Those trampolines in the pavement look like great fun so will be very tempted to go on them myself!
Thank you for posting Abby, you've given me more ideas to add to my list for when we're there! Unfortunately we only have 3 nights so lots to squeeze in
The schnitzel was on their specials for the week...but I can't believe this is not a regular menu item for them!

It was a lovely Bavarian restaurant. I hope you do make it there for a dinner.

I think you'll be fine with 3 days. We didn't really need the extra day or two...as you saw we ended up walking around the park! Not that it wasn't fun seeing all the statues, it was great to all be away together and to enjoy eachothers company with the walking and the food!

I really hope you have a great trip. I bet the markets will be fun. We were tied to half term so we didn't get to see any of them at all. Will you do a trip report? I'd love to read it if you do decide to.

Old 15 Nov 18, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks Abby, really enjoyed the report, the food looks so good in Berlin and lots of really interesting places to visit too. I agree that walking is the best way to get around a city, we enjoy wandering around exploring plus it builds up an appetite 😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 18, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Thanks Abby, really enjoyed the report, the food looks so good in Berlin and lots of really interesting places to visit too. I agree that walking is the best way to get around a city, we enjoy wandering around exploring plus it builds up an appetite 😀
Thank you for reading it all, even when it got a bit samey with lots of parks and lots of food!

I don't think you'd be disappointed if you added Berlin to your list of potential city breaks we really did enjoy the mix of history, monuments, food and drink, plus just wandering around and getting to know the city.

Old 17 Nov 18, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Really enjoyed reading along with your trip. We need to look at flights to visit Berlin next year perhaps. It’s great you got to do some of your favourites again today. I enjoy the food in Germany and I am still missing all the lovely pretzels that you seem to be able to conveniently buy most places.

This was one of our favourite meals
Will Santa bring a new mask perhaps? Do you have any plans for a trip over the festive period?
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List