Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Feb 19, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
big nelly
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

big nelly's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 13
Highs & Lows - Both 50 let's go to WDW but without the kids

Hi we have been back a couple of days from our WDW trip to celebrate both our 50th Birthdays. It was only an 11 day holiday and our first without the children but we had an amazing time.

It was a spur of the moment decision to book a Disney holiday as the plan was always Universal for 7 days. But when our daughter spotted an 11 day trip at a preferred studio in SSR for a bargain price with
Virgin bubble seats at only just over £300 each return for the flights it was a done deal.

Highs:

Yet again an amazing stay the night before at the Hampton at the Hilton Gatwick North. Used my Tesco clubcard vouchers again. Breakfast was lovely and our room spotless and comfy. Although I did find it strange only having one double bed as we usually book a family suite. I guess I had better get used to it!

Our flight with Virgin was really good. We haven't flown with them since 2009 and they redeemed themselves. In flight staff were very attentive. 👍

Wow our studio in SSR was amazing. We were top floor Congress Park with a breathtaking view of DS. Could not fault the room, the view, mouse keeping etc. and will definitely return. Loved being able to walk into DS as we liked and having breakfast on the balcony.

Our meal at the Yatchsman was wonderful. Lovely food, quiet ambience and an amazing server named David. A definite return there.

Wolfgang Puck Express - excellent for QSDP.

Loved Toystory land - but also see lows.

Nomad Lounge in AK - spent hours in here on more than one occasion. Just loved chilling out at the park and enjoying a cocktail or three! DH partial to a black sapporo too so he was very happy!

Daughters surprising us with an in room delivery of a bottle of Rosa Regale, two champagne flutes, ice bucket and some Ghiradelli salted caramel chocolates. Thanks girls! X

Great cast members at Tren-D who helped DH find my birthday gift. It's a surprise so I'm not supposed to know!😉

Only having 10 people in the bubble on our return flight.

Lows - not many:

It poured down on the day we had our Slinky Dog Dash FP. It was really really painful riding in the rain. The ride photo is hysterical! We got soaked and unfortunately I have an awful cold and sore throat now 😧😩.

Our meal at California Grill was spoilt due to the noise levels and we will not return. Food was ok but our meals at Yatchsman, Flying Fish and Tiffins were far better.

Riding Mission Space with only 2 of us. Not the same and made us both very sad. 😟

Future plans:

It's our Silver Wedding Anniversary and our twin daughters 21st Birthday within days of each other in September 2020. Plan is to return to celebrate. They want to bring their boyfriends so we will be looking at 3 rooms somewhere on site but with DDP. Let the saving begin.

I'm also hoping for a return trip later this summer but probably Universal only and a cheapy too otherwise DH will divorce me!

We had a wonderful time and I can't believe how quickly it went. It was a different holiday just us two but we had such a laugh and shared some great times together. Here's to more future WDW couple holidays together 🍺🍷. X

Edited at 11:09 AM.
big nelly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Great highs and lows. It is good to read some adult only reports. DH and me now in late 60’s but still enjoy Disney
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
beegnjasmum
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Sounds like a fabulous holiday and great prices for your flights especially getting bubble seats!
I'd love to do a Florida holiday with just my DH when the kids are older, although like you I'm sure we'd miss them not being there.
Sounds like great accommodation at SSR and lovely meals were had too.
Happy birthday to you both! X
beegnjasmum is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Sounds like you had a great holiday

Joan
Old 17 Feb 19, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Inky
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We had David at the Yatchsman as well, he was fabulous. Loved SSR , we had a studio at the Grandstand, but would go back
Inky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile

Adults only trips hold so many good memories for me & although we’ll have years ahead with our little ones, I also think we’ll be happy to return to adult only Florida trips too.

Glad you had a great time for a special birthday & lots more celebrating to come in future years too by the sounds of it!
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinderella
Imagineer

Sounds like you had a great time👍
Cinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

Very poignant low regarding Mission Space. I’m sure you’ll soon get used to couples only though x

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List