Notices
Itineraries Post your Trip Itineraries here.

Old 26 Jan 19, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Amion68
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I have driven most if not all of both coasts from Mobile Alabama, down to Key West then up to Daytona.

I would cut out the East Coast and follow your plan for the west. I would cut out the night in Miami and drive straight for Orlando, looking for a cheap hotel such as the Ramada, close to Universal for the first night. (we have booked our family of 4 in there for a night and breafast next morning for £60 on 27 July). Get the driving done.
The following morning at 0700 , I would check into one of Portofino, R Pacific or the Hardrock for a single night in order to take advantage of Express passes in the Universal parks. After the 2 days of Universal, I would then carry out the rest of the vacation according to plan.
KSC is little more than an hours drive each way and could be carried out as a day trip. Your children might also like the very nearby Valiant Air Command museum on that day as a time filler. It is very hands on and great fun.

Hope it helps.
Hi thanks for your advice. My only concern with your suggestions to head straight for Orlando is tiredness. 2 days in universal back to back straight off the plane is going to test our stamina so I would prefer to ease ourselves in to the holiday a bit first.

Perhaps we could either book end 2 nights after the villa to do universal and book 2 nights in to the hard rock or push our villa booking back by 2 nights. Prices appear to be around £900 with the fast pass. I assume one has to purchase the park tickets on top?
Amion68 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 19, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Universal. Yes. You have to buy the tickets on top.. but they are still a great deal with 2 major theme parks and a water park.

If you are able to push back the villa by a day, then Miami on the first night, a cheapy on arrival in International drive and then the Univeral overnighter would make sense with as you say, taking in Kennedy Space centre on the day you drive up from Miami.
By not staying at Cocoa beach and simply driving on from KSC, you are also gaining a night in Orlando.
Posters are talking about mileage. I wouldn’t worry too much as you would be driving ..
Miami to KSC 221 miles.
KSC to International drive 59.
Davenport to Clearwater 86.
Clearwater to Naples 171.
Naples to Miami Int 119.

That is a total of 656 miles over 14 days (plus the little journeys). It is no big deal and in any case, the longer journeys are well spaced out.

To simply drive from Miami Int to Orlando and back is 470.6 miles. You are driving another 190 miles to fit in all the great things that you want to do.

If you went straight up and back, but with return journeys to KSC and Clearwater within the vacation, then you would drive a total of 760 miles! By driving your ribbon route, you are not doing any return journeys. Plus you get to see the gulf coast and the Tamiami trail on top.

Hope it helps.

P.S On our last two vacations, we drove as follows..
2017. Pensacola to Mobile and back. Then to Destin, then to Tampa. Then to Orlando. Then to Daytona Beach... 1200 miles in 15 days.
2018. San Fracisco to Castle AfB. Then to Monterey. Then down and around LA. Then to San Diego. The to Long Beach. Then to LAX. 1260 miles in 14 days.

656 is a walk in the park!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:52 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 19, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Amion68
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Universal. Yes. You have to buy the tickets on top.. but they are still a great deal with 2 major theme parks and a water park.

If you are able to push back the villa by a day, then Miami on the first night, a cheapy on arrival in International drive and then the Univeral overnighter would make sense with as you say, taking in Kennedy Space centre on the day you drive up from Miami.
By not staying at Cocoa beach and simply driving on from KSC, you are also gaining a night in Orlando.
Posters are talking about mileage. I wouldn’t worry too much as you would be driving ..
Miami to KSC 221 miles.
KSC to International drive 59.
Davenport to Clearwater 86.
Clearwater to Naples 171.
Naples to Miami Int 119.

That is a total of 656 miles over 14 days (plus the little journeys). It is no big deal and in any case, the longer journeys are well spaced out.

To simply drive from Miami Int to Orlando and back is 470.6 miles. You are driving another 190 miles to fit in all the great things that you want to do.

If you went straight up and back, but with return journeys to KSC and Clearwater within the vacation, then you would drive a total of 760 miles! By driving your ribbon route, you are not doing any return journeys. Plus you get to see the gulf coast and the Tamiami trail on top.

Hope it helps.

P.S On our last two vacations, we drove as follows..
2017. Pensacola to Mobile and back. Then to Destin, then to Tampa. Then to Orlando. Then to Daytona Beach... 1200 miles in 15 days.
2018. San Fracisco to Castle AfB. Then to Monterey. Then down and around LA. Then to San Diego. The to Long Beach. Then to LAX. 1260 miles in 14 days.

656 is a walk in the park!
The miles don’t concern me and the prospect of driving in a convertible mustang is a source of great excitement with the kids. I too have driven California, drove a similar route as you down highway one from SF, Monterey, Carmel, Pismo, Santa Barbara down to San Diego to stay with friends. Dropped in to LA on the way back up to stay over with friends in the valley, then drive back to SF on the final day with a hangover from hell to catch my flight.

We have a camper van so pop over to France/Spain most summers too, so the kids are well used to driving holidays.

Thanks for the advice, sounds good. Any recommendations on universal hotels?

Edited at 10:28 PM.
Amion68 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 19, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Amion68 View Post
The miles don’t concern me and the prospect of driving in a convertible mustang is a source of great excitement with the kids. I too have driven California, drove a similar route as you down highway one from SF, Monterey, Carmel, Pismo, Santa Barbara down to San Diego to stay with friends. Dropped in to LA on the way back up to stay over with friends in the valley, then drive back to SF on the final day with a hangover from hell to catch my flight.

We have a camper van so pop over to France/Spain most summers too, so the kids are well used to driving holidays.

Thanks for the advice, sounds good. Any recommendations on universal hotels?
Strangely, we have a Mustang Convertible this July. I have never driven a Mustang or a Convertible, so am very excited. I wish that I had hired one for California.

Regarding Universals, I have never been in the Portofino. I cannot justify the extra cost.
I prefer the Royal Pacific to the Hardrock as I find it far more relaxed.
I do, however really look forward to either.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 11:19 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List