Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 13 Feb 19, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
MischiefManaged
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

MischiefManaged's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Wismgari View Post
Just had a quick skim through, I love Canada! With Avis it is just a partner at the same address. I picked up a car in Toronto last year with Avis and just at the desk said, "here is my partner's driving license too, as he will be driving as well". There was no problem and no charge and we are not married. To be fair, how would they know if you are married? Not everyone changes their name! Also, downloading google maps is really easy and that is what I have always done - just click on the menu and then on "offline maps" - it will then let you zoom into the area you want to download, easy as that!

Have a great time!
Thanks so much! That is good to know, fingers crossed with Avis then - they have a discount offer on at the moment. Ive just been telling my boyfriend and he said that sounds like a fab idea about google maps! definitely going to give that a go.
Old 13 Feb 19, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Twiggy1953
Apprentice Imagineer

Twiggy1953's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by MischiefManaged View Post
Ah that sounds exactly similar to us! what dates do you go? - I will definitely have a look at that! Do you know who's trip report it was?
We fly into Seattle on the 18th August and get the Amtrak to Vancouver on the 20th. Having a few days there then picking the car up and going onto Vancouver Island. Heading to the Rockies on the 30th. Flying home on the 10 September. Been a long time in the planning. Not sure who’s trip report it was now, sorry.
Twiggy1953 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 19, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
It might have been my trip report because I was recommending the GyPSy apps last year to everyone posting about the Rockies. Best £15 I ever spent. That was for a bundle of 4 apps - Icefields Parkway, Jasper National Park, Banff Town and Banff/Lake Louise/YOHO.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 19, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzymcfarlane
Apprentice Imagineer

Canada’s popular this year ! We fly to Vancouver, Vancouver island for 10 days, ferry to Bella Coola then drive highway 20 and back down thru whistler over the next 10 days. 21 days in sept. Love British Columbia
dizzymcfarlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 19, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
amarooney
VIP Dibber

amarooney's Reviews
Originally Posted by Wismgari View Post
Just had a quick skim through, I love Canada! With Avis it is just a partner at the same address. I picked up a car in Toronto last year with Avis and just at the desk said, "here is my partner's driving license too, as he will be driving as well". There was no problem and no charge and we are not married. To be fair, how would they know if you are married? Not everyone changes their name! Also, downloading google maps is really easy and that is what I have always done - just click on the menu and then on "offline maps" - it will then let you zoom into the area you want to download, easy as that!

Have a great time!
We booked our car for a trip to Toronto through Canadian Affair last June, an Avis rental. After also downloading offline Google maps we even managed to get the phone to link with the vehicles (7 seater van) screen. Worrried when we took it back with a chipped windscreen Avis staff didn't bat an eyelid.
amarooney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 19, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
MischiefManaged

ah fabulous! Thank you..

I still need to book, we got lazy thinking yes all sorted now!
Old 3 Mar 19, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Hows's the planning coming? We went last summer but stayed just outside Banff for the 2 weeks rather than a road trip. We flew in and out of Calgary and the drive up to Banff was so easy - about 1 1/2 hours. Car hire is literally a walk across from the terminal, very easy.

You will need to get a National Parks pass but it is very easy to do online. They ask where you are going, staying and how many people in the car. I think pretty much everyone is better off buying an annual pass which was about $130. We are getting max use from it as we are going back over for a week in May! Partly because we want to see the scenery without the haze from the wildfires and partly because we found decent price flights in school holidays (I work in a school! ) The fires last year were particularly bad and considering there weren't any in Alberta, the smoke from the BC ones was scary how far it travels.

Anyway here is my trip report if you are interested: https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1093981

Have fun x
Old 25 Jun 19, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
MischiefManaged

Originally Posted by parisdisneyfan View Post
Hows's the planning coming? We went last summer but stayed just outside Banff for the 2 weeks rather than a road trip. We flew in and out of Calgary and the drive up to Banff was so easy - about 1 1/2 hours. Car hire is literally a walk across from the terminal, very easy.

You will need to get a National Parks pass but it is very easy to do online. They ask where you are going, staying and how many people in the car. I think pretty much everyone is better off buying an annual pass which was about $130. We are getting max use from it as we are going back over for a week in May! Partly because we want to see the scenery without the haze from the wildfires and partly because we found decent price flights in school holidays (I work in a school! ) The fires last year were particularly bad and considering there weren't any in Alberta, the smoke from the BC ones was scary how far it travels.

Anyway here is my trip report if you are interested: https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1093981

Have fun x

Oh! Thank you - going to spend tonight looking at your trip report. We are so excited - we have a car booked and ready to go from Vancouver to Calgary. I am also a teacher - i think we will probably just book the park passes for how long we are there for.. we won't be going back anyway.. are the fires that bad?

I didnt even think of this you know.. Did you go in the august?
Old 26 Jun 19, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

We’re not long back ourselves - for us just buying a pass for the length of stay worked out cheaper than the annual pass, though it was marginal. I think the website takes the info and automatically works out which option is best for you.

I am almost finished our report, there’s a link in my signature if it helps.
Wordsworth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
MischiefManaged

Originally Posted by Wordsworth View Post
We’re not long back ourselves - for us just buying a pass for the length of stay worked out cheaper than the annual pass, though it was marginal. I think the website takes the info and automatically works out which option is best for you.

I am almost finished our report, there’s a link in my signature if it helps.
Ah amazing! thanks so much - ill have a nosey!

Yes, we did buy our one as yearly in the end, worked out cheaper! mental!

Thanks so much xxx