Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by mick View Post
A good travel day

Joan
Yes indeed, we made it in the end, which is the main goal of the travel day.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 18, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
Stressful time at Dublin!
Great not to have to deal with immigration at the other end though as you said.
It really was! But the benefits of it are outweighing the downsides now in my mind! I must be a mental to want to put myself through that again. Maybe I should allow more time for the connection...

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 18, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by Cinderella View Post
I find indirect stressful but I can't resist a bargain! 😁
Absolutely! Our flights were just under £600 each, so not too bad for the beginning of August, but not as cheap as some people got. I booked them in January as I'd had enough of searching for flights. The price included luggage for all of us, seat selection on all flights and pre clearance in Dublin was a massive bonus.

I'm not enjoying looking for flights for next summer. There seem to be a lot more airlines offering flights with no luggage and no seat selection. It's annoying me to have to add that cost on at the end when I'm trying to compare prices. I'm hopeful for flights around £550, but I suspect I will end up settling if I find any for under £600.

Old 30 Sep 18, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
florida mad
Apprentice Imagineer

florida mad's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
That was stressful at Dublin we do this same route in a couple of weeks but our flight leaves Gatwick at 9.20am. Hopefully we won’t have any delays.
The flight itself went ok and a bonus to clear immigration beforehand.
What was the film choice like onboard.
Old 30 Sep 18, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

Ooh, I’d have been beside myself with stress at Dublin! So glad it all worked out fine in the end. I’ll be starting my flight hunt in a month or so...I suspect convenience will win out over budget for me but I do like the idea of clearing immigration before MCO.

All those phone messages sound so funny - did you go for a fun run?! Surely that’s an oxymoron

Off topic: yes we had a lovely time in Greece thanks! It was my first time and now I’m very keen to go back and visit other islands now (we were on Zakinthos)
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 18, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Definitely not the best start with the plane being late getting to Dublin. Our pre-clearance was an absolute breeze we just seemed to walk straight through-I think we were very lucky. The only hold up was being barked at by the customs bloke when he asked how long we were staying to which I replied 18 days...in a Geordie accent this obviously sounds like 80 apparently! He didn’t even crack a smile when I said I wished I was rich enough to stay for that long😮
I know indirect can be stressful, our return flights through Dulles was definitely a cutting it fine moment but I do think going indirect through Dublin has been my favourite route so far, it was fab to just walk out at MCO. I’m pleased my timings weren’t too far wrong for you even with the luggage hold up!
OB1LukeLucas is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 18, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by florida mad View Post
That was stressful at Dublin we do this same route in a couple of weeks but our flight leaves Gatwick at 9.20am. Hopefully we won’t have any delays.
The flight itself went ok and a bonus to clear immigration beforehand.
What was the film choice like onboard.
You should have loads of time if you are on the earlier flight. It was a real bonus arriving at MCO as a domestic passenger.

The film choice was ok, not the best we've had, but still lots to choose from. Kids found there were lots to try. There seemed to be less tv shows I think compared to other airlines and I find them easier to watch than a long film.

Old 30 Sep 18, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by MrsSilverStar View Post
Ooh, I’d have been beside myself with stress at Dublin! So glad it all worked out fine in the end. I’ll be starting my flight hunt in a month or so...I suspect convenience will win out over budget for me but I do like the idea of clearing immigration before MCO.

All those phone messages sound so funny - did you go for a fun run?! Surely that’s an oxymoron

Off topic: yes we had a lovely time in Greece thanks! It was my first time and now I’m very keen to go back and visit other islands now (we were on Zakinthos)
On our first trip we had virgin flights direct into MCO! It was fab and I'd love to have them again, but I can't justify spending that much money. The kids hate the food whatever plane we're on. So, it really is just a ride, the only thing they care about is the movies and they can usually find stuff they like.

Good luck with searching for flights, I can't seem to get into this year. Usually I'm comparing prices every day, but I'm not so good at the moment and the planner I use is looking pretty empty. Need to get on it really!

Yep, you're right, can't you just picture me running with a cocktail in each hand? We did enough steps just walking around the parks, that's enough exercise for me.

I'm glad you had a good time in Zakinthos. We've been to Rhodes and Athens, both were great, I love the food!

Old 30 Sep 18, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Definitely not the best start with the plane being late getting to Dublin. Our pre-clearance was an absolute breeze we just seemed to walk straight through-I think we were very lucky. The only hold up was being barked at by the customs bloke when he asked how long we were staying to which I replied 18 days...in a Geordie accent this obviously sounds like 80 apparently! He didn’t even crack a smile when I said I wished I was rich enough to stay for that long😮
I know indirect can be stressful, our return flights through Dulles was definitely a cutting it fine moment but I do think going indirect through Dublin has been my favourite route so far, it was fab to just walk out at MCO. I’m pleased my timings weren’t too far wrong for you even with the luggage hold up!
I reckon I'd just about have enough time to fit in all the snacks if we could stay for 80 days! Wishful thinking.

I totally agree about the indirect flights. As I was writing up the travel day I did think it's crazy to put ourselves through it again, but I don't want to pay the high prices for direct and we have to go in the summer holidays.

We had a similar experience at Dulles! We raced through the airport and just made it to the flight, then after boarding we ended up sitting on the runway for about 2 hours, well it felt like the runway, but I guess it was just by the gate. There were storms in Orlando and no planes could land so they weren't letting us take off until the storms cleared. We didn't get on the magical express until gone 11pm that trip.

Your timings were fab. I think aer lingus are top of my list for flights for next year.

Old 30 Sep 18, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
lumosq102
Excited about Disney

I'm endlessly tempted by the flights via Dublin just for the pre screening / no immigration hall of doom at MCO, but I would be in bits if the first flight was even seconds behind schedule, so sympathise entirely.

It looks like you have a lovely room at OKW, have always been tempted by them (especially now Disney Springs has got so good) so will look forward to hearing what you think of it!
lumosq102 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List