Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 12 Oct 18, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Dimple
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Oh thats great you got direct flights within your budget, apologies if you already said that i actually didnt have time to read all the comments so may have missed it!
Yea i did a 6 month programme after i finished my degree, i worked on splash mountain and was part of the last group to live in the treehouse villas before they got done up as guest accommodation.
Its funny actually i thought to myself as 8 was reading today that i could see kate doing a programme in the future! I wanted to do it after my first visit when i was 14 so it was a long time coming for me too!
Dimple is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 18, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by Dimple View Post
Oh thats great you got direct flights within your budget, apologies if you already said that i actually didnt have time to read all the comments so may have missed it!
Yea i did a 6 month programme after i finished my degree, i worked on splash mountain and was part of the last group to live in the treehouse villas before they got done up as guest accommodation.
Its funny actually i thought to myself as 8 was reading today that i could see kate doing a programme in the future! I wanted to do it after my first visit when i was 14 so it was a long time coming for me too!
I don't think I said it already, partly because I keep thinking I should start a pre trip as it was lovely to have that in the build up to this year's trip and I won't have anything to talk about therd if I use up all my planning stuff here! I keep wavering between doing it and not doing it as I feel like I should get more of this trip posted before I start to think about the next pre trip.

You worked on Splash! Wow I'm sure it's not all that exciting loading people into boats, but it's our favourite ride how amazing.

The only reason Kate knows about the college program is because I mentioned it to her now the seed has been planted I will have to make sure to carry on watering it on a regular basis. Much as I would miss her if she was that far away I think it would be a fantastic experience.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 18, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Dimple
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Loading people isnt too bad really i enjoyed that but its tough trying to be as efficient as possible, trying to keep in mind what rows you've filled etc! The position i hated was at tye exit where the wheelchairs come in, mind numbingly boring and i got assigned it all the time! But overall the experience was fantastic and I'll never forget it!
Dimple is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by Dimple View Post
Loading people isnt too bad really i enjoyed that but its tough trying to be as efficient as possible, trying to keep in mind what rows you've filled etc! The position i hated was at tye exit where the wheelchairs come in, mind numbingly boring and i got assigned it all the time! But overall the experience was fantastic and I'll never forget it!
Not having something to do makes the time drag, I'd much prefer to be busy at work than bored. I'm glad you had such a wonderful time.

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

A stressful start to travelling your Gatwick flight taking off late, and then the queues in Dublin, I’d have definitely cried. Nik would have been so mad if we were in that scenario and I’d feel like (as the planner) it was all my fault.

Were you happy with your location at Old Key West? We had a drive through the resort last month and we couldn't believe how big it was, obviously you know, but when you're driving through it seems like a whole town.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 18, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by collybird View Post
A stressful start to travelling your Gatwick flight taking off late, and then the queues in Dublin, I’d have definitely cried. Nik would have been so mad if we were in that scenario and I’d feel like (as the planner) it was all my fault.

Were you happy with your location at Old Key West? We had a drive through the resort last month and we couldn't believe how big it was, obviously you know, but when you're driving through it seems like a whole town.
There is an over abundance of responsibility that comes with being chief planner. While I wouldn't have it any other way, as I'm a control freak, it does make me seeth a little if the plans don't go perfectly and then Dave or the kids moan about it. They are pretty good, but I kind of think if they don't want it be part of the organising then they don't get the right to moan if they don't like it or it doesn't all run like clockwork. I know it's a bit contrary of me as actually I don't really want them helping with the planning I like being the one who gets to decide where we go, what we eat and what we do!

We were right at the far end of the resort in South Point. While this location would not suit everyone we are fairly laid back about having to walk. If we walked slowly then it would take about 15 minutes to walk to the main pool area and shop. For a lot of people this is too far, and it probably is further than we'd have liked, but then we also liked the buildings and it's a pretty resort and I'd rather that than a tower block for a hotel...you can't have a pretty resort with lots of lovely buildings and also have all the guests in rooms 2 minutes from the pool.

But, they could do with a little bridge over the waterway from our side to the main pool, it did drag a little having to walk all the way up around and then back to the pool. Our room had views of the little river, actually I think it is a canal as it was man made, anyway, we saw the boats going to Disney springs from the balcony and that was nice. I didn't think I would miss having a large food court as we rarely eat in the resort, but it was something that we were sad about. I knew it was only a small QS area, but they didn't have pizza or a very good selection of snack options...anyway, that was a minor thing.

I'm in danger of doing a full on reviews if I'm not careful, so I'll stop there for now. I've got photos of the resort itself, but they will come later as I will have to include them in the correct chronology, so it will be on the day I actually took them!

Old 16 Oct 18, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Not a bad start with sleep and PI brekky but then oh dear at stresses of delayed flights, queues , technology and connections to make. I was getting super stressed for you. How did you not just shout out “oh hurry up will you” , or similar !
Seemed an ok flight, food looked uninspiring, I seem to remember we all thought it a bit “heavy” or soggy !
Feel for you all being so tired but hey you are at OKW how great is that... and that you did manage to get some food.
Hope you all slept well .
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 18, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Oh gosh I can't believe the experience you had in Dublin, it was the complete opposite for us. I feel bad recommending it to you now!
Apart from that it sounded like a good travel day and I'm glad it hasn't put you off going that route in the future
Lovely photos of Kate in front of the Disney sign, that's when the reality kicks in and you know you're nearly there!
Your room looks lovely in OKW, larger than what you would think too.
Ah Disney chicken nuggets really are the best aren't they!
Looking forward to reading about your day in MK

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 18, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Not a bad start with sleep and PI brekky but then oh dear at stresses of delayed flights, queues , technology and connections to make. I was getting super stressed for you. How did you not just shout out “oh hurry up will you” , or similar !
Seemed an ok flight, food looked uninspiring, I seem to remember we all thought it a bit “heavy” or soggy !
Feel for you all being so tired but hey you are at OKW how great is that... and that you did manage to get some food.
Hope you all slept well .
PI breakfast was pretty standard, but very tasty! A great start to the day.

It was nerve wracking waiting and wondering if they would sort out the luggage in time...all that happens behind the scenes we never even saw the luggage, but if the computer says no then you're not going through!

I suspect I was a bit testy with the poor QS lady! I may have said something like 'we've been travelling for 12 hours and we haven't had any dinner where do you suggest we go?' On reflection it probably wasn't the nicest way to say please just give us some food, any food will do! Still we both our nuggets in the end.

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Oh gosh I can't believe the experience you had in Dublin, it was the complete opposite for us. I feel bad recommending it to you now!
Apart from that it sounded like a good travel day and I'm glad it hasn't put you off going that route in the future
Lovely photos of Kate in front of the Disney sign, that's when the reality kicks in and you know you're nearly there!
Your room looks lovely in OKW, larger than what you would think too.
Ah Disney chicken nuggets really are the best aren't they!
Looking forward to reading about your day in MK
It's a bizarre combination of the Gatwick flight leaving over an hour late and then us rushing through Dublin too quick so we beat the cases and them trying out a new tablet style device that really wasn't working. There were a lot of stressed airport staff there that day. No one seems to have ever seen queues waiting at the top of the stairs and them not letting people into the pre clearance seems to have not been heard of either! Still we made it on the plane and it was fine in the end. It was no ones fault and I'd definitely fly Aer Iingus again.

Old 25 Oct 18, 01:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Mad Hatters
slightly serious Dibber

can't beat a premier inn breakfast.

A great travel day in the end.

The time between flights makes me nervous for booking indirect.
Mad Hatters is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List