Notices
Itineraries Post your Trip Itineraries here.

Old 1 Nov 18, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
sue97
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Road trip and a week at the beach

Writing down for me and to get advice.

We booked the great Belfast to Orlando direct deal with Virgin featured here about a month ago for 15 nights but no one wants to do the parks. 2 big bags and hand luggage only.

A quick consult and here is the plan.

DD 19, DD17, DS12, DH and myself will fly to Orlando.

Day 1 - 3 We will spend the first 3 nights in Orlando with a car.
Day 4 - Flight to Washington direct is about 80 dollars each so we are going to fly. I looked at Amtrak and driving and driving seems too far if we want the best part of a week at the beach at the end and Amtrak was too expensive. Flights to go earlier in the holiday are either indirect or too expensive.

Day 4 - 7 Washington (no car)
Day 7 Collect hire care - visit Arlington National Cemetery , visit Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel and go north of it to Assateague National Seashore with wild horses roaming around. Stay at Luray Big Meadow Lodge
Day 8 Explore around Luray and then take the road to Savannah and stay the night there.
Day 9 Explore Savannah and go to a beach for the next 6 days.

Any suggestions on a beach in Carolina or Orlando, surf and lifeguards essential.

It's still value and may change due to time constraints and costs.

Only things booked so far is hotel in Washington which can be changed and going to book car hire very soon and flights.

Thanks for reading. Any suggestions to improve / change it around. I really don't want to lose much of the beach tie at the end.
sue97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 18, 01:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

RE: Beach-none in Orlando but lots of option both on the east and west coasts. I would consider something in the St. Augustine are in case any of your crew gets bored.

There are lots of coastal areas between DC and Orando-North and South Carolina and Georgia all have large coastal ares. There are also beaches in Maryland, Delaware and Virginia. If you are looking for half way, maybe Hilton Head. When are you going? If it's in winter, I would stick to more southern beaches. I could be cold north of the Carolinas.

And what are you looking for? quiet relaxation, lots to do and see, upscale or family focused. The US has a lot of coast line and there will be something for all tastes but beach is pretty broad. Also if you have driven to Savannah Georgia, I would not head back north to the Carolinas. Remember, we are a geographically huge country. You have a lot of driving to your trip.

Edited at 01:10 AM.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 18, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
sue97
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
RE: Beach-none in Orlando but lots of option both on the east and west coasts. I would consider something in the St. Augustine are in case any of your crew gets bored.

There are lots of coastal areas between DC and Orando-North and South Carolina and Georgia all have large coastal ares. There are also beaches in Maryland, Delaware and Virginia. If you are looking for half way, maybe Hilton Head. When are you going? If it's in winter, I would stick to more southern beaches. I could be cold north of the Carolinas.

And what are you looking for? quiet relaxation, lots to do and see, upscale or family focused. The US has a lot of coast line and there will be something for all tastes but beach is pretty broad. Also if you have driven to Savannah Georgia, I would not head back north to the Carolinas. Remember, we are a geographically huge country. You have a lot of driving to your trip.

Thanks, kids love the surf on the beach. We went to Cocoa Beach twice and my kids love the surf so somewhere like that.
sue97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List