Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 14 Jan 19, 03:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Mobile Are you always guaranteed home resort?

When you buy into a resort, are you guaranteed booking your home resort any time or only at 11 months?

We are *possibly* buying into CCV tomorrow (DH wants to, I’m more wary) and I wanted to know if I’ll be able to book to stay there in August or if I would be too late now the 7 month window is open and we’ll have to stay at a different resort?

Future years I’m guessing will be ok as we could book before the 7 month window - and can move to a different resort at 7month window if available?

I have rented points for years but not too sure on the owner points/system.
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Jasonharry
VIP Dibber

Mobile

No you are not guaranteed, in fact a lot of resorts have limited numbers of studios and they go right on the 11 month mark.
You can buy a fixed week but that is more expensive
Jasonharry is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

No, in particular Copper Creek may be a problem going forward at peak times in a studio.
You are ‘guaranteed’ ( as in no problems ever booking historically) in a 1 bed anywhere at 11 months and I see that possibly getting even better with points going up again on reallocation. This will put yet more pressure on studios. Also Star Wars factor, and what that will do to it.

Edited at 10:33 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

You aren’t guaranteed anything but I’ve never struggled at 11 months. Even for BWV standard view which is harder to get.

I would always recommend booking your home resort at 11 months and then changing st 7 when you see what else is available.

For this summer you should be fine for SSR / OKW or AK. We have always found rooms in one of these three.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Yes As Bev says nothing is guaranteed as the POS says it’s first come first serve.
If you want to stay in 1 beds ever they are always open at every resort at every time of year.
August isn’t the busy DVC time so as things currently stand you could even get a studio at Copper Creek no problem at 11 months.
However Copper Creek isn’t fully declared yet, and even now people are having some difficulties getting studios in October to December at peak DVC time. This may only get worse as it’s fully declared.
I saw someone on the other board the other day saying they had to go in waitlist due to walking the studios at Copper Creek next November.
Walking is easier now with the new system. Essentially book weeks or even months ahead and amend the reservation daily.
Copper Creek has hundreds of thousands of points on cabins, when most buyers are buying for studios. There are also not that many studios.
Old 14 Jan 19, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I have been unable to get into a particular room type at my home resort at eleven months on the dot. Pretty annoying. I've found DVC to have become massively less flexible over the last few years (demand vs supply). Not sure I'd buy in again now, but have had 15 years of happy ownership.
Old 14 Jan 19, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Halowa
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Always do school holiday.

Never had a problem at 11 months.

Loads of options available at 7 months. Some resorts have wait list for studio, but they were available at the 7 month day. You just need to be on the ball.
Old 14 Jan 19, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
lov2dibb
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 11
Guidebook Reviews: 7
If it's August this year that you want to go you'll need to make sure your guide will guarantee that for you if there's no availability online.

For future years there's no guarantees that what you want will be available but I've only ever had problems at the 11 month mark at peak times like New Year, Easter etc. (BLT/BCV)
lov2dibb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Dazed, as above No, not only that but I'm sure your Guide is saying things like …"If you buy x amount of points, you will always have enough for a week... " when I fact DVD has messed about with the points & even those owners that were only told that months ago are now finding that come 2020 they are short.
Unless you are taking their finance, I would come home & take a couple of weeks to mull it over, it is very easy to sign up when you still have your Disney specs on ! At the minute you are sitting there thinking about 50 years of holidays, how much it would cost without it, I'll be in that "special club"...
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I second Shoobys advice, save only thing is on 19/1 Copper Creek points are going up.
Have you looked at the resale market? Could save yourself a lot of money.
There's also some excellent 'thinking persons ' analysis on another thread. It has been suggested that you buy one contract resale. Wait until after 19/1 and prices may or may not go down, but might suppress a bit.
Then buy a 75 point direct add on.
Use banking and borrowing and you could plan that every 2-3 years you can use your 75 add on to stay in any new resorts should you so wish, and use your resale and the 75 for staying at the original 14. You'd also get perks.
If a lot start doing this they may shut down the loophole like they did with 25 points eventually when buying a 25 pointer gave you the perks (I got mine just before they shut that one down).

Edited at 10:50 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List