Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 14 Jan 19, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
eaglesrest
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by TinkTatoo View Post
I do feel your figures are somewhat flawed and that’s where we look at DVC differently. I bought my points years ago so they’ve long been paid for and the money written off so when I do my calculations all I’m taking into account is my annual dues and there is no way I’d be able to vacation the way I do at those prices.

Also you’ve picked OKW as an example and included buying the DDP which most of us on a DVC vacation don’t do but that’s a resort that Disney are offering at a discount. If you take any of the monorail or Epcot resorts into the equation then the figures would be dramatically different.

I bought OKW resale back in 2004 and recently sold my contracts for a profit which means that esentally I’ve had 15 years worth of free trips.

A lot of people are questioning ownership because they’re relatively new to DVC or are trying to view it as a business. At the end of the day it’s a timeshare where you pay a lump sum up front and annual dues thereafter. We all went into it knowing this and as long as that’s what the OP does and is happy with that then she should go ahead with her purchase and hopefully enjoy many happy Disney holidays staying in some fabulous resorts.
Yes there is a significant difference between purchasing now as opposed to 10-15 years. Heck, it's a different proposition now compared to even 6 months ago, but OP is buying now and the financial reality for a direct purchase needs to be considered in context of the direction DVC has recently taken.

The point I'm making is that the product has deteriorated very recently under new management. The dues increase are high, and if unchecked could seriously impact the financial viability of the product. The compound nature of dues increases should not be underestimated. The DVC savings, while still there, for new purchasers are not necessarily the best deal, as highlighted by my OKW example. You can stay on-site in a 1 bedroom DVC cheaper than committing to DVC under certain scenarios.

I priced up the OKW 1 bedder for August while DDP was offered and it was £6.1k. I bought tickets for £1.6k a couple of months ago, they have dropped a little since. I got 4% cashback.

Don't get me wrong - we are staying at BCV in a 2 bedroom for 2 weeks, on SSR resale points, so are quite happy on that front. I just wouldn't recommend it to anyone with so many negative changes happening in such a short space of time.
eaglesrest is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by TinkTatoo View Post
A lot of people are questioning ownership because they’re relatively new to DVC or are trying to view it as a business. At the end of the day it’s a timeshare where you pay a lump sum up front and annual dues thereafter. We all went into it knowing this and as long as that’s what the OP does and is happy with that then she should go ahead with her purchase and hopefully enjoy many happy Disney holidays staying in some fabulous resorts.
Absolutely 100%

As of 2 weeks time I’ll have owned DVC for 17 years, I’ve not regretted it once, but I bought in knowing I was buying a timeshare /pre paid holiday scheme & the sums worked for us. The flexibility has kept it working & we continue to have amazing holidays in WDW.

I honestly wouldn’t compare costs on a stay at OKW/SSR, I want to spend my points on the larger accommodations in the deluxe resorts, that’s where the value comes in IMO, we’d very likely never have stayed for 2 weeks in the THVs or 1/2 beds at BLT/BCV etc. if paying cash or considering a cabin at CCV for our special anniversary.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Mobile

BTW I added on 250 CCV points in October, 1st add on since 2003 & no I don’t regret it. If the sums work for you, like I tell my patients on a daily basis - stop reading Internet forums 😂

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
eaglesrest
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Noodlez View Post
Could I ask what time of year you're basing your maths on? 444 points at OKW means you're looking at magic season. Looking at a 2 week booking in June for 2 adults and 2 children would be over £8000 in 2019, and maybe a lot more than that in 2020.
Adding tickets to a DVC stay would be £1460 and adding the dining plan would be £2072. This would then make the DVC option cheaper.
2 weeks 1 bedroom was £6.1k with free DDP (august) for 2019

Tickets for 4 adults (kids over 10) was £1.6k. DDP is $75.49 pp x 4 x 14=$4227.44/1.28 = £3.3k

Did I do the math wrong?

BTW I didn't intend this to turn into a justification for DVC debate. Simply wanted to express my opinion on ownership as a new owner who has completed all the research and doesn't think buying direct now under the current management is a great idea. Which is what the OP is asking. I'm glad the long-time owners are happy with their purchases but the question is would you buy now at todays prices and conditions, without those 15-20 years of 'free' hols behind you?

Edited at 08:32 PM.
eaglesrest is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodlez
Very Serious Dibber

I admit that I calculated based on them having children's priced tickets and dining, not adults. The price for the first 2 weeks of August is still coming out at over £8000 for this year without discounts (as these normally don't apply when adding free dining). Obviously, it's great that you managed to find something cheaper but when I have done the maths for myself DVC comes out as the winning option.

As someone who has only just closed on my first contract, I definitely would buy at the current prices without those years behind me. :-)
Noodlez is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
... I'm glad the long-time owners are happy with their purchases but the question is would you buy now at todays prices and conditions, without those 15-20 years of 'free' hols behind you?
If I was in the OP’s position where they’ve done their research and decided that DVC is right for them then yes I would. Buying CCV at the price the OP is paying is only a few $$ more than buying resale and given that the closing costs are less buying directly then they are probably getting a better deal on the points direct, plus it’s a 50 year contract. If they were looking at one of the older resorts then, unless it was a small amount of points, I’d buy resale.

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
£32k is a serious chunk of change! We enjoy our DVC but I don't think that we would buy now, main reasons as follows:
1. Exchange rate is shocking
2. The points cost is even more shocking!
3. TBh it's not worth the current pricing
4. It's not the "special club" that it's made out to be
5. The feeling that actually cash customers are getting all the perks - free upgrades in room size, preferred areas etc as an owner you're lucky if you get 1 out of 2 of your requests!
6. The feeling that DVD are going to milk you for every $ & don't care!
I disagree that DVC is luxury accommodation, the rooms & Hotel at RPR are just as good if not better, the main difference is that small kitchenette (Studio) the 1 beds are good but a 1 bed at Staybridge is nearly as good but DVC has Location Location Location.
What we like:
1. Our room's paid for
2. Transport if we don't want a car
3. Location

We are currently swaying on an add-on but we won't be in a position to buy it until the summer & it will definitely depend on pricing.
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
eaglesrest
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Noodlez View Post
I admit that I calculated based on them having children's priced tickets and dining, not adults. The price for the first 2 weeks of August is still coming out at over £8000 for this year without discounts (as these normally don't apply when adding free dining). Obviously, it's great that you managed to find something cheaper but when I have done the maths for myself DVC comes out as the winning option.

As someone who has only just closed on my first contract, I definitely would buy at the current prices without those years behind me. :-)
That's the thing. Its not great

We have already booked our hols, I was only checking out of curiosity and to remind myself what a great deal we get using DVC.

OK we are staying at BCV this year, but would have been happy to stay at OKW especially for £6.1k with free DDP. That raised an eyebrow.

Then the dues went up nearly 3.5 x inflation, which compounded applies annually for 30+years! Rumours are it could be similar for the next couple of years. That raised the other eyebrow.

Then they start adding points without removing them elsewhere, which I was sure they couldn't do. I'm frowning now!

Then they decided our resales won't be quite the same offering as a DVC direct purchase because they moved the goalposts again. I mean really? What's next?
Old 14 Jan 19, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Have you factored in this years dues yet? I'm not 100% but I think if you buy in Jan you have to pay the whole year for 2019 now. On 250 points that's a tidy wedge.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

The only choice is yours.

We bought 200 CCV at $1.43 last April, the figures worked for us.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List