Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 14 Jan 19, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Halowa
Serious Dibber

Mobile

This thread has got me thinking.

Booked OKW from 21st - 29th July using out points. Wouldn’t normally stay there but good friends from Cyprus and Australia are staying there and we wanted to be together.

This has taken 252 points. If I sell these this should give me around £2.5k in cash.

If I have tickets and DDP for 4, it might work out cheaper.

I’ve got an hour at work tomorrow and I’ll get a price from ATD just to see in this case, if cash is better value than points.
Old 14 Jan 19, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
eaglesrest
Apprentice Imagineer

I only saw the cheap OKW prices last year when the UK free DDP was on. Even then the rooms only appeared very sporadically, which is part of the reason we bought into DVC - it looked like there wouldn't be any availability for OKW/SSR with free DDP.

With no UK free DDP currently on offer I doubt you'll be able to beat your existing DVC booking but worth a shot.
eaglesrest is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

On the US free dining DDP OKW 1 bed with 6 day ticket for 4 is $6778

DDP is worth $2400.

Your points are worth $3276

So those tickets are costing you $1102 plus booking that room will cost you resort parking $171
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 07:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Halowa
Serious Dibber

Just seem my friends booking (they booked ages ago) and for the dates I mentioned, 1 bedroom villa they paid £2944. If my points are worth £2500 then the DDP has cost them £444 for 3 adults.

We are away for 3 1/2 week and for that part we don’t have a car, so no parking fees.

Clearly for OKW DVC isn’t worth it. I suspect SSR would be the same.

Edited at 07:15 AM.
Halowa is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Halowa View Post
Just seem my friends booking (they booked ages ago) and for the dates I mentioned, 1 bedroom villa they paid £2944. If my points are worth £2500 then the DDP has cost them £444 for 3 adults.

We are away for 3 1/2 week and for that part we don’t have a car, so no parking fees.

I’ll be honest, I’ve yet to stay at OKW or SSR - whilst free dining is an option it just doesn’t feel like a good use of my points.

I own at BLT - great value in the sense that it would cost and arm and leg in cash for that view/accommodation and being within walking distance of MK, and I also own at AKV - different kind of value, but the low points for value rooms make it a bargain and really eek out the points!
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Halowa View Post

It isn't as good value at SSR and OKW when DDP deal on, you are right. But

Deals as good this year/ next? Prices have risen.
When do you go- OKW and SSR have no dining plan Easter or Xmas and also cost an arm and a leg at these times.

I find DVC has massive value still when used:

1) At Xmas etc- everywhere.
2) At cheapo DVC points times.
3) If you don't actually care for dining plan, and eat in the room and quick serve. I did 5 nights in 2 bed at Boardwalk last year and 5 in a 1 bed at AKV. With spending onsite it cost me £3500. That would probably have cost £10k, maybe I'd have got free dining plan with that, maybe not and spending would be on top.
4) If you want larger accommodation- not often on dining plan and Disney charge a fortune. Expect to see 1 beds, in many resorts at £700+ a night.

Edited at 09:23 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I don't think I would do it unless you have a buffer of about 10% extra points. I think it will continue to be cost effective to some extent because Disney will keep increasing rack rates. The additional points should give you flexibility of resort through the ability to book 1 beds. That might be enough to at least give you the same length of stay even if they do increase the lock off premium again.

Personally I'm too disillusioned by the money grabbing recently and can't imagine giving any more to DVD. I would probably go for it though if I had the money and still wanted to go every year despite the price rises across the board.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Thanks for the replies everyone! Lots of valid points made.

Something else I’ve thought about is the cash bookings. Do you think Disney will substantially increase the cost of studios and 1 beds to keep it in line with the cost of cash vs DVC bookings? DVC would then remain as “good value” as it is now. Hope that makes sense!
Old 15 Jan 19, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by act1980 View Post
Something else I’ve thought about is the cash bookings. Do you think Disney will substantially increase the cost of studios and 1 beds to keep it in line with the cost of cash vs DVC bookings? DVC would then remain as “good value” as it is now. Hope that makes sense!
The key here is the word 'think', it's all opinion and speculation at a time when many people are feeling disheartened with DVC. No-one knows or can predict the future, I would honestly step away from seeking opinions and make your decision solely based on if you feel it's right for you and your family bearing in mind that things CAN change going forwards.

I bought fully aware that I was buying a prepaid holiday scheme, points could be reallocated, I wasn't guaranteed to be able to get exactly what I wanted every time and made sure the number of points I had more than covered what I 'thought' we'd need going forwards at differing times of the year, circumstances, needs and wants are going to change as your family grow.

Initially I bought enough points to stay in a studio at BCV for 12 nights every year based on May/August (we were a family of 3 at the time, DS16 wasn't born yet), after just one stay with a 4 months old baby & a 7 year old we realised that we'd want 1 beds in the future so added on, the total points were more than the cost of a 1 bed for 12 nights to allow for flexibility.

My CCV add on in October is mainly for my 'now grown' children to either use themselves or to sell on in the future but for the next 5-10 years we'll use it and maintain it, if it's sold at a loss then so be it, I've not bought it as an investment, I've bought it as something that can benefit us all and hopefully see 'some' return IF they decide to sell further down the line.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Cash booking depend on market forces. After 9/11 the place was dead and prices slashed.
Disney seem to operate on the basis that if they are daft enough to pay it, we will charge it. If people won't pay, they'll slash rates as their business model is dependent on the rooms being full and people spending in the parks.
They already have the DVC members' money, and dues are not influenced by market forces.
I frankly don't think anyone can give you the answers you need. You've either researched and you want to buy, or you are wavering. You seem to be in the latter camp. How much research did you do before you decided to buy? Have you been researching a few months anyway? Or was this on a whim when you stopped by a stand?
Given you are waivering I'd suggest walking away and thinking about it.

Edited at 10:09 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List