Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Feb 19, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
Totally agree Sue. Sadly, that looks a long way off and if anything we are going backwards.
They have been working in it for ages in London and I thought Manchester was ahead. They did tell us in Jacksonville that by the time the UK ones were finished they would be out of date anyway.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

The Christie hospital in Manchester has opened its proton beam facilities, my husband's burn came out on his back the worse but the cream he was given helped. The burn inside on his gullet was the problem.
My daughter wants to be an oncology radiotherapist and listening to the lecturers at the universities things are progressing all the time
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
They have been working in it for ages in London and I thought Manchester was ahead. They did tell us in Jacksonville that by the time the UK ones were finished they would be out of date anyway.
Yes they have it at the Christie but it is limited what they can do and what they can treat 😰
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
00swan
Imagineer

00swan's Reviews
Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Whilst radiotherapy has come on leaps and bounds since my 2000 treatment, I don't know if one still encounters heavy burns thereafter. Irrespective of my not using soap and trying not to get too much water on the area, my burns were awful, the whole of my underarm was a mass of peeling, burnt, very sore, skin. My sister, trained in sports injury massage and aromatherapy, knocked up a natural potion that instantly stopped the burn and soreness, the relief was profound and I'm sure aided a faster recovery. An aromatherapy website may show mix requirements - sis used a base, non-perfumed, cream, added peppermint and witch-hazel oils. Knocked spots off the hospital provided cream, which sadly did nothing to ease the pain.
Am keeping my fingers crossed that things have improved - my radiotherapy starts on the 28th Feb

* Orlando: 2006/2007/2010/2014/2016/2017/2018/2019
+ new booking Apr/May 2022

* New York/Orlando mix: 2012

* New York: May 2015/Dec 2021
00swan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by 00swan View Post
Am keeping my fingers crossed that things have improved - my radiotherapy starts on the 28th Feb
A relative had radiotherapy recently with very little discomfort.
Good Luck anyway x
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

I had Radio 15 years ago and sailed through it with no burning of the skin at all, I was extremely tired throughout the treatment , it seems to zap your energy, the area where they zapped me was uncomfortable but it seems like I got away lightly compared to some , I wish you well with your treatment and hope yours is as kind to you as mine was .
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaybeez
Imagineer

Jaybeez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Good luck. I had my radiotherapy for breast cancer last September, 15 sessions on the whole area and another 5 on my tumour scar. I was lucky and just had some pinkness of skin and it did get a little itchy towards the end of the treatment.
Jaybeez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

I had hoped there would be improvements to ease the burn. I thought I'd gotten off lightly but it was after my 25 sessions that the burns, peeling skin and soreness began. My radiotherapy began immediately after chemo so I was already compromised and, as Linda said, by mid pm I was out for the count

00swan, I reckon you'll be reet hin, you may be surprised how well you'll cope, a positive attitude makes a huge difference, likely my family would've pulled me into line had I been a daft mare. I'm one of the luckiest lasses alive and still as daft as a brush

Edited at 06:51 PM.
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

I had radiotherapy in 2006 for breast cancer. I had no problems at all with burn marks. Like Lindaelaine I felt very tired but that could also have been because I had the radiotherapy right in the middle of 8 chemo sessions. The exhaustion could have been a combination of both.

I wish you well and quick recovery.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
00swan
Imagineer

00swan's Reviews
Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
A relative had radiotherapy recently with very little discomfort.
Good Luck anyway x
Thanks for this

Originally Posted by Lindaelaine View Post
I had Radio 15 years ago and sailed through it with no burning of the skin at all, I was extremely tired throughout the treatment , it seems to zap your energy, the area where they zapped me was uncomfortable but it seems like I got away lightly compared to some , I wish you well with your treatment and hope yours is as kind to you as mine was .
Thank you - I'm hoping it will be okay

Originally Posted by Jaybeez View Post
Good luck. I had my radiotherapy for breast cancer last September, 15 sessions on the whole area and another 5 on my tumour scar. I was lucky and just had some pinkness of skin and it did get a little itchy towards the end of the treatment.
I can cope with itchy

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
I had hoped there would be improvements to ease the burn. I thought I'd gotten off lightly but it was after my 25 sessions that the burns, peeling skin and soreness began. My radiotherapy began immediately after chemo so I was already compromised and, as Linda said, by mid pm I was out for the count

00swan, I reckon you'll be reet hin, you may be surprised how well you'll cope, a positive attitude makes a huge difference, likely my family would've pulled me into line had I been a daft made. I'm one of the luckiest lasses alive and still as daft as a brush
Nice to hear someone else say lucky - I think I've been really lucky too - I've only just finished chemo, which wasn't as bad as I expected

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
I had radiotherapy in 2006 for breast cancer. I had no problems at all with burn marks. Like Lindaelaine I felt very tired but that could also have been because I had the radiotherapy right in the middle of 8 chemo sessions. The exhaustion could have been a combination of both.

I wish you well and quick recovery.
Thank you - lots of people are saying tiredness is the common issue

* Orlando: 2006/2007/2010/2014/2016/2017/2018/2019
+ new booking Apr/May 2022

* New York/Orlando mix: 2012

* New York: May 2015/Dec 2021
00swan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List