Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 29 Jan 19, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by skstorm View Post
definitely considering boardwalk however a little more tempted by the beach club at the moment due to the pool plus the fact the kids and I really don't like clowns very much so not sure how we would cope with the boardwalk pool.

so tempted with Beach club but also have to admin the grand floridian looked really really nice . aaarrgh need to hurry up and make a decision so I can get it booked before it gets booked up. Have you been to beach club YT? whats that one like?
Beach Club is lovely- for me they are on a par. I stayed at Boardwalk last year, so Xmas (if I can get one) I will stay in Beach Club next time, UNLESS I can get the standard view Boardwalk, then I will go back again.
You don't have huge amounts of points, it is always good to keep as much in credit as you can is my view. For example, I was always running a credit- then we decided to get an extra Xmas trip in this year- couldn't have done it and go next year (Xmas really points intensive in 1 beds- 11 nights is 418 points standard view SSR- that will go up if I switch at 7, could be hitting 500s) if we had already been running a deficit (well I could but I would be really running down the following years points toward nothing after two trips in 7 months- maybe an excuse to then buy more points- I said never again!). Really the difference in points values between the 2 are worth a lot of money (multiply by $13.5 a point what you could get rental). If you are not going in 2020 I would be looking at banking as many as possible into 2021.
The clown pool (and Boardwalk generally) we were a bit meh about until we stayed there. I loved the pool, it has a really, really nice atmosphere around it. My wife and kids loved it. In fact it is now our favourite DVC, and had it a long contract life I would have bought it straight away. Just goes to show you, you never know until you actually stay in them - and i had visited it and walked around many times. It is extremely well managed- visibly so. Also my kids love hospitality houses- the best one we have been to being Kidani- but Boardwalk one is really good in its own building next to the DVC quiet pool. There is a reason those Boardwalk standards are in the top few most in demand rooms on property- but don't hang around, even the 1 beds do go.

Edited at 09:59 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 19, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

That one bed will also spoil you- you will probably be on the lookout for more points after. With a family they are well worth it IMO. Remember to get your shopping it via Instacart etc as well.
Old 29 Jan 19, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
howerd
VIP Dibber

Hi SKStorm

So glad you got your points through finally!

We have 2 little ones and have stayed at Grandstand a few times (building 16 from memory), which we thought was great, as Tom says there were drinks machines, a pool next door and only a short walk to main reception/ DS walkway, plus we preferred the view of the golf course and being first drop off when we got the bus (we tended to walk to springs to get the bus). We stayed in the Paddock for 1 night last time and it was very close to the pool (which was a good pool) but we preferred the location of grandstand and when we went to the paddocwe prefer to just hop on the bus to go to that pool.

Regarding DVC availability, I have found dvcapp website very handy since we signed up (we are going similar dates to you I think!), it shows you availability in a table and also shows the history of each room each day (when it has / has not been available along with dates when it was booked etc. It also e-mail updates with availability for your saved searches).

I am not sure if anyone else has experience of this but we have found it a useful tool so far.

As we were monitoring our dates (19th-28th) over Christmas, boardwalk 1 bed Standard had availability prior to and bang on 7 months, but I think we would 'walk' the reservation to ensure we got it, as a couple of days after a few of the dates were booked. I was actually quite happy with availability at the 7 month mark, although appreciate we are not looking at peak DVC time and 1 beds not studios.

We already had a cash booking for this year so we are doing a part stay to avoid losing deposit and figures seemed to work out (8 nights SSR cash in 2 bed with dining, then 8 nights, 1 bed BLT TPV). We have family for first 9 nights so space in 2 bed is required.
howerd is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 19, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Firstly I'm pleased it's all come through after such a long process. Well done.

Here is my take on the SSR part as I live by the motto Points are to be exploited to the fullest.

You make the following comment ''Pool is important for us as I have 2 little un's that love messing in water''

To that end I would never go for a Preferred view and the extra point usage. The views from Congress can be lovely but they can be dire as well. We know how to exploit the system and know every room and its view hence we can haggle at the desk!

The pool at Congress is a sunbathers paradise but hopeless for children as there is nothing to do and no drinks machine. Plus it's not zero entry.

I would opt for the Paddocks or Grandstand if I had children along.
Just some thoughts.
Thanks Tom to be honest we weren't looking at congress park for a preferred but the Springs which we love and we love the Springs pool the best so will hopefully be headed there. :-)
skstorm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 19, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Thanks Tom to be honest we weren't looking at congress park for a preferred but the Springs which we love and we love the Springs pool the best so will hopefully be headed there. :-)
Good choice for a pool, we used that back in 2005 when the children were young.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 19, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

Good choice for a pool, we used that back in 2005 when the children were young.
When we first went for 21 nights it took me 17 days to talk my eldest into going down the waterslide - then he loved it for the final 4 days - he's such a numpty. the little one had no such issues and was constantly going down it to the point I ended up just stood in the pool at the bottom of it to make sure he was alright he was only 3 at the time bless him! luckily both of mine are pretty good swimmers with the eldest excelling.
skstorm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 19, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
When we first went for 21 nights it took me 17 days to talk my eldest into going down the waterslide - then he loved it for the final 4 days - he's such a numpty. the little one had no such issues and was constantly going down it to the point I ended up just stood in the pool at the bottom of it to make sure he was alright he was only 3 at the time bless him! luckily both of mine are pretty good swimmers with the eldest excelling.
Ha ha. I don't have to worry about watching mine in the pool anymore as they are 32 and 29.

But we will have the 8 yr old Granddaughter with us this summer so I suspect I will end up making the walk to the Paddocks pool for her to have some fun.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 19, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Beach Club is lovely- for me they are on a par. I stayed at Boardwalk last year, so Xmas (if I can get one) I will stay in Beach Club next time, UNLESS I can get the standard view Boardwalk, then I will go back again.
You don't have huge amounts of points, it is always good to keep as much in credit as you can is my view. For example, I was always running a credit- then we decided to get an extra Xmas trip in this year- couldn't have done it and go next year (Xmas really points intensive in 1 beds- 11 nights is 418 points standard view SSR- that will go up if I switch at 7, could be hitting 500s) if we had already been running a deficit (well I could but I would be really running down the following years points toward nothing after two trips in 7 months- maybe an excuse to then buy more points- I said never again!). Really the difference in points values between the 2 are worth a lot of money (multiply by $13.5 a point what you could get rental). If you are not going in 2020 I would be looking at banking as many as possible into 2021.
The clown pool (and Boardwalk generally) we were a bit meh about until we stayed there. I loved the pool, it has a really, really nice atmosphere around it. My wife and kids loved it. In fact it is now our favourite DVC, and had it a long contract life I would have bought it straight away. Just goes to show you, you never know until you actually stay in them - and i had visited it and walked around many times. It is extremely well managed- visibly so. Also my kids love hospitality houses- the best one we have been to being Kidani- but Boardwalk one is really good in its own building next to the DVC quiet pool. There is a reason those Boardwalk standards are in the top few most in demand rooms on property- but don't hang around, even the 1 beds do go.
I have thought about the points but to be honest this wasn't planned and will be a bit of a celebration so we may splurge a bit ( I am already thinking of doing a bit of an add on later on with points - oops did I say that out loud) I love my DVC points and I haven't even been on a trip yet, I'm so excited. The kids have narrowed it down to Beach club or copper creek I have worked out I can do SSR for 9 nights and Beach club for 5 night. If I do preferred at Saratoga it would mean bringing in 56 points. If I do standard I am only borrowing 38 points.

We are not planning a trip in 2020 so would bank those points giving me either 262 or 244 in 2021 so not that much different than what I have this year and definitely enough for 2 weeks at Saratoga. (If I haven't added on additional points at that stage ;-) .

The other option would be to buy the additional 24 points I can have which means only borrowing either 14 or 32
Old 29 Jan 19, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

Ha ha. I don't have to worry about watching mine in the pool anymore as they are 32 and 29.

But we will have the 8 yr old Granddaughter with us this summer so I suspect I will end up making the walk to the Paddocks pool for her to have some fun.
Bring her round to springs and she can play with my 7yr old and 4 yr old they would love that!
Old 29 Jan 19, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

Thanks everyone for your assistance after consulting with the kids and showing them the various resorts on you tube we have successfully booked
9 nights at SSR in a studio prefferred view - how do I go about requesting The Springs and when should I do that?

5 nights in a one bed at Beach Club - any hints on the best views/ rooms etc.

Kids are very excited!