Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Feb 19, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
FabFam4
VIP Dibber

Silly Question time...

Hi

I've this niggling feeling that I'm ignorant of something I should be doing for our trip in December this year.

We've not visited Florida since 2011, is there anything else we need to apply for or cover?

I remember something about driving licenses, but I'm guessing our UK license is good enough for driving over there?

I know we need to complete ESTA's, is there anything else like that I need to do beforehand?

Thanks!
FabFam4 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 19, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
thefergies
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Nothing obvious. For me it was villa, flights, park tickets, airport parking, hire car, travel insurance, estas and book the cat in to the cattery. Only thing to do is register for shop and restaurant coupons. Currency bought.
thefergies is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 19, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
FabFam4
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by thefergies View Post
Nothing obvious. For me it was villa, flights, park tickets, airport parking, hire car, travel insurance, estas and book the cat in to the cattery. Only thing to do is register for shop and restaurant coupons. Currency bought.
Thanks! I just had this stupid feeling that there was something to do with driving licences, though I now have the new plastic ID one.
Old 12 Feb 19, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by FabFam4 View Post
Thanks! I just had this stupid feeling that there was something to do with driving licences, though I now have the new plastic ID one.
All you need to hire a car in Florida is a current driving licence. The plastic photocard acts as official ID as well so you don't need to carry your P/P.

Just in case you read it on other less reliable forums you do NOT need an International Driver's Permit with a UK or RoI D/L nor do you need any sort of code from the DVLA

Mick
Old 12 Feb 19, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Just to add please use the official web site below to do ESTAs - they cost $14 each. There are some sites out there that "Help" you do it and charge about $80 each.

Nearly every question box has a ? symbol against it. Please take the time to open and read what is expected of the answer.

esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

Mick
Old 12 Feb 19, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
FabFam4
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Just to add please use the official web site below to do ESTAs - they cost $14 each. There are some sites out there that "Help" you do it and charge about $80 each.

Nearly every question box has a ? symbol against it. Please take the time to open and read what is expected of the answer.

Mick
Thanks Mick! You've answered my niggle re the driving thing. Also thanks for other useful info, really appreciated.
Old 13 Feb 19, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

With the driving license, you can apply for an international driving license but it isn't required so this might be what you are thinking of. This is done in a post office I believe (my Dad still does this every year even though it isn't needed)
Old 13 Feb 19, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Speakle
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

I always get an International Driving Permit. Government site says you need one and they only cost £5.50 and last a year. A small play it safe price.

Risk of an issue with insurance companies if you are unlucky enough to have an accident.
Speakle is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 19, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by FabFam4 View Post
Thanks Mick! You've answered my niggle re the driving thing. Also thanks for other useful info, really appreciated.
We've never stayed on site so you won't see me commenting on DDP questions.

Haven't been to the parks since 2010 so you won't see me answering fast pass questions.

What I know about Uber can be written in 72 font on a postage stamp.

But we have had live ESTAs since they were introduced and we've hired a car on all of our 35+ visits and I've driven maybe 50,000 miles in the USA so I do feel slightly qualified about answering driving questions.

One thing I can absolutely guarantee is that you don't need an IDP if your D/L is in English.

This page from DFCH's web site might put your mind at rest.

discountfloridacarhire/faq.php

Mick
Old 13 Feb 19, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Speakle View Post
I always get an International Driving Permit. Government site says you need one and they only cost £5.50 and last a year. A small play it safe price.

Risk of an issue with insurance companies if you are unlucky enough to have an accident.

If you do have an accident and have the rental companies insurance they handle it all. They wouldn’t give you the car if you needed an IDP to drive and didn’t have one
I was stopped two years ago on the I4 as a random check on DLs, we were guided to a closed lane where they were checking lots of drivers randomly for DLs, one look at my photo ID, I was thanked for my patience and understanding and sent on my way.
There was a piece of legislation that was brought in a few years ago when the Florida authorities required an IDP, but this was overturned within three months and is not required any more.

Your own choice of course.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List