Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Feb 19, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
PABBY
Excited about Disney

Back in 2016, my DS was doing his GCSEs and my DD her A levels. They got their exam dates in January and we soon realised that they would both be done & dusted by Friday 17th June, so we wasted no time in pricing & booking a 2 week Florida trip, flying out the day after they both finished their last exam.

As well as taking advantage of the far cheaper prices before the schools closed, it was the perfect way for them to unwind after the months of hard work they had put into their revision, etc. It also left plenty of time to arrange their futures as we were back by early July.

Thankfully we didn't even consider going away near to results time as the stress level in both of them was too much and I was glad to be at work for most of their day!
PABBY is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

We had all the University thing summer 2018 but as we had GCSe and A level year we took our holiday end of JUly. I have just looked at the prices and it#s £2000 difference depending on going end of JUl or end of Aug. As the results come out 13th Aug I thought maybe go 27th Aug? Would anyone do this.

I am a very organised person so will have everything ready to go except bedding etc ( unless of course we already know).

My caution is whilst I was confident with my DD my DS just won't knuckle down to revising as much.

Thanks
Old 17 Feb 19, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post

Personally no.
Esp as start dates seem to vary. My DS went v end of Sept. My DD on the 12th Sept.

There was a fair bit to do last minute, and I am an organised person too.
Worth checking out the term dates for your preferred courses, and then double checking Freshers dates too, as often they are the week before term starts on the website.

Edit. Found it !

I knew somebody had explained exam results dates previously
Flip. It won't link. It was fizzypop (exams officer) on a previous thread about this... I think message was you don't count dates from first of month you count backwards from.bank holiday. First Thurs before bh is GCSEs and second Thursday before bh is A levels.

Cannot work out why it won't link. Mmmm.

Edited at 10:07 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

[QUOTE=FamilyGWales;13693400]Personally no.
Esp as start dates seem to vary. My DS went v end of Sept. My DD on the 12th Sept.

Worth checking out the term dates for your preferred courses, and then double checking Freshers dates too, as often they are the week before term starts on the website.

Edit. Found it !

Flip. It won't link. It was fizzypop (exams officer) on a previous thread about this... I think message was you don't count dates from first of month you count backwards from.bank holiday. First Thurs before bh is GCSEs and second Thursday before bh is A levels.

Cannot work out why it won't link. Mmmm.[/QUO

Thank you I'll see if I can find the link!
Old 17 Feb 19, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

I wouldn’t go in between results day and the start of uni. A good friends daughter didn’t get the results she wanted last year and they had real hassle trying to sort out clearing, and fit in quick visits to alternative universities while heading off to get the ferry for their booked holiday. Much easier to go after exams and before results, but bearing in mind prom dates etc!
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

I stayed at home when I went to uni so didn’t have to sort out accommodation or worry about saving money. I had a brilliant summer between college and uni - 2 weeks away with family before results and 2 weeks with boyfriend in September after results.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
fizzypop
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
Personally no.

Edit. Found it !

Cannot work out why it won't link. Mmmm.
Don’t get caught out for 2020 results days. JCQ are showing them as 13 Aug for A levels and 20 Aug for GCSE’s as the bank holiday is 31 Aug and lots of schools will be going back on 1 or 2 Sept, looks like they have been moved by a week. Can’t see it on exam board websites yet though as it is probably too early.

See page 4

jcq.uk/Download/exam...-cycle-2019-20

Edited at 09:31 PM.
fizzypop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by fizzypop View Post
Don’t get caught out for 2020 results days. JCQ are showing them as 13 Aug for A levels and 20 Aug for GCSE’s as the bank holiday is 31 Aug and lots of schools will be going back on 1 or 2 Sept, looks like they have been moved by a week. Can’t see it on exam board websites yet though as it is probably too early.

See page 4

jcq.uk/Download/exam...-cycle-2019-20
Thank you! Was hoping you would come along and give the correct advice 😁
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
chippyminton
slightly serious Dibber

Thank you fizzypop. We have a A level and GCSE in 2020 so that’s n invaluable bit of intel.
chippyminton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
fizzypop
Imagineer

the last date they look like they are giving for the contingency timetable is 24 June 2020 so don’t book a holiday before that date as all candidates are supposed to be available until then just in case they need to apply the emergency timetable. JCQ are the umbrella organisation for all exam boards so I doubt the dates will change but I can’t be completely certain until the dates appear on the exam board websites.
fizzypop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List