Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 13 Feb 19, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Scotland road trip

Myself and my partner (both mid 30s, no children) are thinking of doing a roadtrip around Scotland in June for a week/ 10 days. We like to keep busy and are fine with busy days, lots of walking and moving to new accommodation most nights. We love beautiful scenery, castles and ruins and pretty architecture. We have been to Edinburgh before (and can get there easily on the train from where we live) so we probably won't visit there this time. Does anyone have any suggestions/ must sees? My current thoughts are to drive up the East side, probably not up all the way to John O Groats as I am not sure if it is worth the trip all the way up(?), and then back down the West past lost of Lochs. Current stop off ideas include:
  • St Andrews
  • Dunnottar Castle
  • Elgin Cathedral
  • Brodie Castle
  • Loch Ness
  • Gleninnan viaduct
  • Fort William
  • Steall Falls
  • Glen Coe
  • Loch Etive
  • Loch Lomond
  • Doune Castle
  • Stirling
  • Maybe a stop in Glasgow on the way back

Anything people think I have missed/ must sees/ anything on my list that is worth skipping?

Appreciate any advice people have as I have only been to Edinburgh before!
Wismgari is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 19, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
minnie29
Apprentice Imagineer

Can’t give advice but I’d love to do a road trip around Scotland - so many beautiful places. Glencoe is amazing and the views took my breath away! Our youngest DD is only 3 and doesn’t like travelling in the car that much so we’ll have to wait until she’s a bit older. We do the 5 hour trip to Forest Holidays Argyll and use that as our base. The places you have on your list look great. Hope you have an amazing time

Just to add, keep Glencoe on your list! It is like another world (we went when the snow was thick all around, absolutely beautiful)

Edited at 10:59 AM.
minnie29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 19, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Being honest I’d agree on skipping John o Groats, it’s a long way up for not a lot to see. I don’t know if I’ll get shot down but unless there’s a specific reason I’d give Brodie Castle a miss as well as there are better looking castles out there. I’ve never found Fort William that interesting unless you like mountaineering shops (although it does have some fantastic views)but Inverness is quite nice down by the river and is close to the Culloden battlefield. It’s windswept and eerie and I’ve never heard a bird sing there. St. Andrews has an interesting graveyard and ruins to look around but if you’re into a faster pace head a bit further down the coast to Anstruther and take a trip on a rib to The Isle of May. (Look up The Osprey on FB) Or The May Princess for a more leisurely trip. Round it off with a visit to the Anstruther fish and chip bar but be prepared to queue. On the way back south stop off at Melrose Abbey or Jedburgh for the Abbey, castle and jail.

Edited at 11:15 AM.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 19, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Tiggers Pal
slightly serious Dibber

Maybe I’m biased as I’m a local but I don’t see the Falkirk Wheel on your list - the worlds only rotating boat lift which links the Union Canal with the Forth & Clyde canal. It’s fascinating just to watch even if you don’t want to pay for a boat trip up and down. I’ve been on it a few times with my own kids as well as accompanying a school outing. Also nearby is Rough Castle Fort, a Roman fort on the Antonine Wall. It’s listed as one of the smallest but also the best preserved fort on the wall. If you’re visiting Stirling anyway then it’s not far from there to the Falkirk area to visit the wheel.

Edited at 11:13 AM.
Tiggers Pal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 19, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Come and see our Kelpies and The Falkirk Wheel.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 19, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
anniee
Imagineer

Have a wee look at New Lanark, you could do it on way up or back down.
Old 13 Feb 19, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
AzureSky
Excited about Disney

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Dunnotter castle is worth a visit and the town of Stonehaven next to it. The harbour area is lovely. The local chip shop also claims to have invented the deep fried mars bar (it tastes much better than it sounds!). Plus the ice cream shop Aunty Betty's is a must visit ! Royal Deeside is then not far where you could visit Balmoral Castle - the queen's favourite home. Its much smaller than you'd expect but you can walk around the Balmoral estate which is stunning.
AzureSky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 19, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Watching with interest as was thinking of posting a similar thing on here today

The only thing that concerns me slightly is the midges
aqualiv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 19, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
HarryPotterGeek
Earning More Ears

Mobile

If you’re going to be visiting St Andrews and are an Outlander fan it may be worth passing through Falkland, such a beautiful little village and Falkland Palace is there too which may be of interest (not a huge palace, but some interesting history).
HarryPotterGeek is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 19, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Liso2605
Getting Excited

:)

Originally Posted by aqualiv View Post
Watching with interest as was thinking of posting a similar thing on here today

The only thing that concerns me slightly is the midges
Watching this too, my son is doing the Scotland road trip this summer too. He has 2 young children, 6 and 4. I have been given the task to do the itinerary and plan stops. Had no clue where to start, so this has helped me a lot. There are flying to Glasgow then renting a car and will be flying back from there so it will be a round trip.
Dec 2009 Hilton Bonnet Creek, Aug 2011 Disney Magic Med, Dec 2011 Wyndham Lake Buena Vista,Aug 2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean, Dec 2013 Rosen Inn @Pointe,Dec 2014 Grande Villas Resort/ Disney Magic Western Caribbean. Dec 2015 Grande Beach Resort/ Disney Dream, August 2016 California Road Trip, August 2017 Disney POFQ & Universal Loews Sapphire Falls. August 2018 Disney Fantasy and West Coast Road trip
Liso2605 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List