Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Feb 19, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Cherrypie
Imagineer

Are we out of order?

Just wondered what you all thought...
DH cousin got engaged at Christmas. They have set a date for July next year.
You guessed it we had earmarked to go to Florida for 3 weeks same day. We are going with my parents, my sis and family.
Now I know it sounds inflexible but we’ve had that date in mind for well over 18 months - eldest dd is getting her exam results so we have to be back - we have to go Friday or sat due to annual leave.
It’s not booked yet but we don’t want to change our plans. We know for the fact that the cousin wouldnt change plans for us - we maybe see them once a year but dh mum and auntie are very close. It’s been floated to auntie and she is upset.
Are we out of order? Please be honest x

Edited at 09:39 PM.
Cherrypie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 19, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Cherrypie View Post
You guessed it we had earmarked to go to Florida for 3 weeks same day. We are going with my parents, my sis and family.
Now I know it sounds inflexible but we’ve had that date in mind for well over 18 months - eldest dd is getting her exam results so we have to be back - we have to go Friday or sat due to annual leave.
It’s not booked yet but we don’t want to change our plans. We know for the fact that the cousin wouldnt change plans for us - we maybe see them once a year but she mum and auntie are very close. It’s bern floated to auntie and she is upset.
I don't think you're out of order, you don't sound particularly close. Send a nice gift and enjoy your holidays.

I hate how much drama and guilt weddings cause, my aunty didn't come to my wedding due to me not hiring my cousin's husband as photographer. She died last week having not spoken to me for two years.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 19, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Mmm. You see them once a year. They wouldn't even enter my thought process let alone influence my plans.
A Brother or Sister yes but not a Cousin.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 19, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Cherrypie View Post
It’s not booked yet but we don’t want to change our plans. We know for the fact that the cousin wouldnt change plans for us - we maybe see them once a year but dh mum and auntie are very close. It’s been floated to auntie and she is upset.
For a cousin you see once a year if your dates aren’t flexible stick to what you have planned, suggest a get together with the couple when you get back maybe
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 19, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

If you haven't already booked, I would rearrange
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 19, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Pjamas
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Personally I think I’d do exactly the same as you. I may deliberately vague with the details and tell them you were going on holiday that day - you know you haven’t booked but they don’t know that. I always resent the time and money spent attending the weddings of people I hardly know. This may upset mum and auntie but sometimes I think you have to put your own family first.
Pjamas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 19, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

For cousins, I wouldnt change plans unless we were very close. For siblings yes. On the other hand - you havent booked - would going a day or two later be that bad? (if I understood it correctly their wedding day is the same as your departure date?) Or you and your family go first and your DH attends the wedding and joins a day or two later? (assuming you book diy?)
Old 16 Feb 19, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

Mobile

If your going for three weeks, would it hurt to go a day or two later? I went to NY the day after my daughters wedding, it was no bother. If its not booked yet, I would just go after.
Old 16 Feb 19, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
mrs rcch
Imagineer

I would send a nice card and a little present, and still go on my holiday.
mrs rcch is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 19, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Bouncing Tigger
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
I’m with Tom, I’d go on your holiday, you’re not that close to your cousin. It sounds as though you’ve already discussed and decided on your holiday date with your side of the family so, at the end of the day, you’re going to be letting somebody down.

Quality Inn International Oct 97 & Sep 2002
Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando Nov 2006
Coco Key Hotel & Water Park Oct 2012
POR Oct 2017 30th anniversary trip
May 2019 POFQ
POFQ again 2022
The best of the best 2023
Bouncing Tigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List