Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Feb 19, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

Those who manage 3 weeks. What job do you do?

I’m often intrigued to know what jobs people do that enable them to go on holiday for three weeks. I am a company accountant and can’t take the first two weeks of any month as I have to prepare the monthly accounts and get them off to our parent company. I don’t have cover for my job so I have to get a month’s work done in two weeks. I need the holiday by that time! Even if I could fit in three weeks around my work, I’m not sure if my employer would allow three weeks off. I’m guessing teachers could go for that long during the Summer holidays? Who else manages it?
Old 17 Feb 19, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

I’m a carer but I work with a great small team and they are really flexible. My husband is an electronics engineer but he works with his dad so again very flexible with the time he can take.
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
international companies that do a lot of business in Europe can be very quiet in August (with the habit of many European countries to take 3-4 weeks and virtually shut down - France and NL especially). Firms can be quite keen to get employees to use up plenty of leave at that time rather than putting their feet up for the summer and going away in busier work periods.

Never taken more than 2-2.5 weeks myself but you also get a lot of expats from distant countries who take 3 weeks off - 2 weeks holiday 1 week to see the family so it can become normalised
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Husband is a teacher so longer holidays aren’t a problem for him.
I work for one of the healthcare regulators so plan my own diary and have a target that averages out over 12 months.
We don’t go away for a 3 weeks summer holiday but I’ll generally book 3 weeks off work - 2 week holiday with a few days either side to park and unpack.
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

I’m a teacher and Husband works in team that has a fairly flexible holiday policy. He tends to take most of August off.
Old 17 Feb 19, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
lottiesmum0
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Both DH and I are teachers so we make the most of the time we have off together
Old 17 Feb 19, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We are both self employed so big perk is we can take as much holiday as we like, big downside though is we don’t get paid for it! I do have to work right up to the 11th hour before we go and I’m always straight back the day after we land but it’s a small price to pay. We had our first 3 weeker a few years ago and I’m afraid it’s completely spoilt us now.

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

Originally Posted by theCMG View Post
international companies that do a lot of business in Europe can be very quiet in August (with the habit of many European countries to take 3-4 weeks and virtually shut down - France and NL especially). Firms can be quite keen to get employees to use up plenty of leave at that time rather than putting their feet up for the summer and going away in busier work periods.

Never taken more than 2-2.5 weeks myself but you also get a lot of expats from distant countries who take 3 weeks off - 2 weeks holiday 1 week to see the family so it can become normalised
Our business is hugely seasonal. We sell cold and wet weather footwear, rainwear etc. Most of our business (and all our profit) is August to December, then we are really quiet. The distribution dept can’t take any holiday Sept to Dec. They’re still not allowed to take three weeks though. We are US owned and have offices in France, HK and Canada. We do find that our suppliers in China close down for several weeks at New Year.
Old 17 Feb 19, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
When I was working husband self employed no he just worked extra weekends etc to make up time before holiday. I was a Nurse, although the average holiday was two weeks my manager and then when I became a manager, we would always authorise a three week holiday as it can really benefit the staff from being away that length of time. The only issue is taking three weeks in one go eats into the overall vacation allowance, staff needed to be very aware that they’d have to last a, long time until the next one.

Now I’m retired... I can go, finances permitting, for as long as I like

Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Retired! Which basically means we can go when we want, for how long we want and fly when the kids are at school - which means a fairly peaceful flight!