Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Feb 19, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
suehen
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
It amazes us what people feed the kids in particular. Yes I know you are on holiday but giving 10 year olds adult meals on dining plan, snacks, and now even gourmet milkshakes on top at up to 1000 calories a piece is ridiculous. If you add up the calories a kid can eat on the dining plan it can quite easily hit 4000 a day (twice recommend for an adult), and that can do some damage for a solid 2 weeks.
Disney needs to get some corporate responsibility in this area and stop forcing 10 year olds onto adult portions.
Mine are 11 and 14 and find the kids meals more than enough mostly, another reason we don't do dining plan.
The dining plan is way too much food. We had a constant battle with the kids to get some fruit etc last time we were on DDP in 2016- never again.
I wouldn't do dining plan if you have type 2 diabetes really. My dad has it and wouldn't do it.
I nearly ordered a one of the Milkshakes in June last year with my meal until I saw 1150 calories yes I am slim 50 year old but that would have sent me on a big sugar rush and on the dining plan its way too much food for me and DH, I do sometime ask them for a smaller meal as I struggle with the amount of food but usually ask for water with a meal to be told you are on the dining plan. Every year for the last 10 years on the annual check-up oh your blood sugar is a bit high but you are not overweight I have too watch the amount of Carbs I eat been like this since having DS 25 years ago.
suehen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 19, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

It amazes us what people feed the kids in particular. Yes I know you are on holiday but giving 10 year olds adult meals on dining plan, snacks, and now even gourmet milkshakes on top at up to 1000 calories a piece is ridiculous. If you add up the calories a kid can eat on the dining plan it can quite easily hit 4000 a day (twice recommend for an adult), and that can do some damage for a solid 2 weeks.
Disney needs to get some corporate responsibility in this area and stop forcing 10 year olds onto adult portions.
Mine are 11 and 14 and find the kids meals more than enough mostly, another reason we don't do dining plan.
The dining plan is way too much food. We had a constant battle with the kids to get some fruit etc last time we were on DDP in 2016- never again.
I wouldn't do dining plan if you have type 2 diabetes really. My dad has it and wouldn't do it.
Other than buffet type places, over 10's don't HAVE to order from the adult menu. My 12 year old is tiny and definitely can't eat large portions. As we aren't on dining plan she usually just orders from the kid's menu. She did this in Coral Reef last night. In quick service places anyone can order a kids meal with no issue. My mother often does.

I agree with you about the milkshakes. Some of the new "gourmet" ones at places like Toothsome make me feel ill just looking at them.
Old 18 Feb 19, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by tigerfee View Post
My husband loves his food, especially in Disney. His typical diet would be a big buffet breakfast, ice cream sundae then somewhere like ohana for dinner.

He has just been told he is type 2 diabetic. He was so fed up and straight away his thoughts went to our holiday in November. His plan is to get on a strict diet now and try and reverse it ( he has only been dieting a week and already I'm noticing a difference)

I'm concerned even if he does lose a lot of weight and manages to reverse it, and then goes on his planned binge in November, he will make himself ill.
Do any of you have type 2 diabetes here and get away with eating bad while on holiday?
It seems really complicated and I'm stressing over what to feed him as he is a really fussy eater who has previously lived on meat and potatoes and sweeties😂😂

Has anyone in here managed to reverse it?
My dad has reversed his diabetes just by diet, he has lost three stone, and is like a new man! He has been commended by all the health professionals as they rarely see people dedicated enough to just changing their diet, and managing to avoid medication but it is really possible. You will find he will probably be happy to have a small treat, but not want to go completely off the rails. You will still have a good holiday im sure!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
Other than buffet type places, over 10's don't HAVE to order from the adult menu. My 12 year old is tiny and definitely can't eat large portions. As we aren't on dining plan she usually just orders from the kid's menu. She did this in Coral Reef last night. In quick service places anyone can order a kids meal with no issue. My mother often does.

I agree with you about the milkshakes. Some of the new "gourmet" ones at places like Toothsome make me feel ill just looking at them.
Yes this is correct, some places charge you more though and give a bigger portion for over 10.
I was talking about Dining Plan and the irresponsible way they make over 10s pay for adult, and everyone in the room has to have it. Thus if you are paying for dining plan, you must pay for a 10,11,12,13 year old as an adult. Yes, you could order kids meals but that is throwing money down the drain. This is a reason we never do dining plan. Disney should allow anyone to take a kids dining plan, my wife often finds kids meals enough. But that would be losing a lot of revenue.
Old 19 Feb 19, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Yes this is correct, some places charge you more though and give a bigger portion for over 10.
I was talking about Dining Plan and the irresponsible way they make over 10s pay for adult, and everyone in the room has to have it. Thus if you are paying for dining plan, you must pay for a 10,11,12,13 year old as an adult. Yes, you could order kids meals but that is throwing money down the drain. This is a reason we never do dining plan. Disney should allow anyone to take a kids dining plan, my wife often finds kids meals enough. But that would be losing a lot of revenue.
If you have anyone 10+ who would ever want kids meals or to share I agree it would never make sense to pay for the Dining Plan.
Old 19 Feb 19, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
The policy (possibly law?) in the US of putting calories on menus is excellent. I remember the horror when we saw the calorie value of the milk shakes in Steak & Shake!
I’ll be honest and say that we find some of the food report pictures (especially the breakfasts) most unappetising - they all seem very orange/beige.
Rather than using a Florida trip as a reason to binge we try to seek out fresh well cooked meals like fish and salads.
What with the temperatures, we often joke that after 48 hours we just aren’t hungry any more.
Type 2 can be reversed, but I’m not sure that the dining plan is the best idea!

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025

Edited at 09:05 PM.
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I would say good on your DH for making a start.

I think by the time your holiday comes he really won't feel like pigging out every day on your holiday.

He'll have got used to a healthy lifestyle and the way it feels to be healthy etc and he won't want to go back.

Thats not to say he won't want treats/nice meals/ice cream etc but I bet when it comes to it he'll have learned that the odd ice cream and a nice meal every other night (healthy option on the other) will be what he wants.

He won't want to waste all his hard work for a 2 week pig out - its not worth it. You can make sensible meal choices 60% of the time and still stay on track.

Good luck to your DH
xx
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
lindaj
Imagineer

You can reverse it but it's not just diet, you need to exercise too to help. My dad was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and he was 85 years old, he started to go to an afternoon tea dance club for the over 65's and he loved it, he learnt to dance all the dances bless him. With dancing twice a week, going out for a walk each day and cutting down the cakes, biscuits, sweets etc with in six months he had reversed it. He lived till he was 94 and managed to keep the diabetes at bay. He occasionally went off the diet, such as on holiday but as soon as he got home he went back onto it. Sadly he passed away last October but it was nothing to do with his diabetes he had septicaemia due to an un diagnosed kidney infection. The best thing is just being sensible.
Old 20 Feb 19, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
loobz
Imagineer

loobz's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I have been T2 for over 18 years (diagnosed during pregnancy with my daughter).

I was initially on insulin and then moved to various tablet combinations over the years but my blood sugar levels weren't ever very stable for long, especially after I had my second child in 2004.

Two years ago I was moved onto insulin which helped but the dose was forever getting higher.

Then, in 2018 I was reading a general chat thread in The Dibb and came across a lady who had lost weight following the Michael Mosely Blood Sugar Diet. Feeling totally fed up with myself I ordered the books on Amazon (the original book and the recipe book) and also joined the FB group recommended by the lady (possibly caj?). My books arrived on 30th April and I started my new way of eating on 1st May 2018. When I started I was on 2 different mediation for BP and injecting 28 units of insulin in the morning and 50 units of insulin in the evening and my blood sugar levels were always between 9 and 13 (HbA1c was in the 60's).

By the end of 2018 I had lost 3.5 stone, was taking only 1 BP medication and my insulin dose was down to just 4 units a day. Best of all my last HbA1c was 40 - which puts it in the non diabetic range.

I've still got around a stone or so left to lose and it's getting harder but I have no doubt that, for once in my life, I will achieve my goal. The dose of my BP medication has just been halved (down to 5mg from 10mg daily) and I'm still injecting those 4 units of insulin. At the moment I'm maintaining my weight by following the principles of the diet but not watching the calories and my blood sugar levels are relatively stable with highs of 7 or 8, but usually around 5 or 6. I had also been dodging statins for years and my cholesterol before I started the BSD was 7.2, at my last blood test it had fallen to 5.2. The higher level was eating low fat everything, the lower level was eating full fat everything (and lots of cheese).

I have had to give up bread, rice, potatoes and pasta (and sugar of course) but I now find that I don't actually want to go back to eating those foods now - I have totally changed my eating habits for good.

We're currently planning a trip to New York in July and I'm looking at different places to find menu items of things I can eat - eating off plan isn't an option if I want to maintain both my weight loss and my blood sugar levels.

It sounds tough and I thought I'd never be able to do it but it's not as bad as it sounds and 800 calories can go a long way. I thought of it as 56 days as it sounded less time in my tiny little mind. I did 2 x 10 week rounds of 800 calories (eating a little bit more in between but sticking to principles).

I will be forever in the debt of the person that shared the BSD with The Dibb because I feel that now in my 50's I've got a whole new life ahead.
Old 20 Feb 19, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

DH has his type 2 diabetes under control through diet alone. He doesn't need to do daily blood tests but his check ups have all been OK.

He initially lost a lot of weight and is now focussed on lower GI foods - i.e wholewheat versions of everything! He's totally cut out refined sugar, cakes, biscuits etc.

We think of it as remission rather than reversal. On holiday in New England last year he was less strict than at home but didn't go silly, even so we noticed that it was affecting him as he needed a lot more loo stops than normal!
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List