Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Feb 19, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
Could you move your stuff in before you go away and then come home to your lovely new home ?
Upstairs will be ready first but the builders said no. 'It is their site until it is finished'. I guess it is for insurance purposes but it is still frustrating
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Ultimately it’s your home so I’d speak to the insurance company and push for doing things the way you want to do them.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by 3disneykids View Post
Upstairs will be ready first but the builders said no. 'It is their site until it is finished'. I guess it is for insurance purposes but it is still frustrating
That's how I would see it. One person slip on a piece of plastic bag the builder has left and they get sued.
Their site until handover day/time.

To be honest most wont even let you onsite to view anything due to H & S Regs

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

I can only begin to imagine how frustrated you are with it all now 😪

At least when you come home from holiday you will know that's it done and you will have plenty of time to unpack etc 😊
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
plutofan1
Imagineer

Speak to your insurance company
The holiday is booked and unable to move it
House is not ready and you cannot move in whilst you are aboard so therefore it’s impossible for you to move if not in country
Has the finish date changed ? If it’s later than originally been given you would assume the insurance company would be sympathetic to the cause
You cannot sign off and agree you are happy with the work until you are back and you have been able to inspect
plutofan1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
I guess I have been lucky in some ways in that for example, there have been delays outside my control so even though we have a fixed price contract, there is no point in them pushing. In fact it has given some flexibility. Yesterday I ordered my Hormann garage door - 8 weeks delivery, builder assumed 3-4 weeks. TBH., not being under time pressure makes a huge difference.

Putting a kitchen in the same week as plastering seems too fast for me. As you say, I would like a lot more drying time. My plastering was finished 3 weeks ago and kitchen going in week of 23rd March.
My builder wont even do the electrical sockets/switches until more drying time as he is concerned the screws might start to rust.
Yes I wish I had control over the site and builders from the start. I am sure we would have been finished long before now

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
Ultimately it’s your home so I’d speak to the insurance company and push for doing things the way you want to do them.
The insurance company are practically useless I am just going to have to home the extend our rental property.

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
That's how I would see it. One person slip on a piece of plastic bag the builder has left and they get sued.
Their site until handover day/time.

To be honest most wont even let you onsite to view anything due to H & S Regs
The stick to the rules when it suits them tbh. If they stuck to them all the time it wouldn't bother me as much.

Originally Posted by Minnie18 View Post
I can only begin to imagine how frustrated you are with it all now 😪

At least when you come home from holiday you will know that's it done and you will have plenty of time to unpack etc 😊
Thanks yes at least I won't have to have as much of a rush
Originally Posted by plutofan1 View Post
Speak to your insurance company
The holiday is booked and unable to move it
House is not ready and you cannot move in whilst you are aboard so therefore it’s impossible for you to move if not in country
Has the finish date changed ? If it’s later than originally been given you would assume the insurance company would be sympathetic to the cause
You cannot sign off and agree you are happy with the work until you are back and you have been able to inspect
Thansk That's true we will have to discuss it with our loss adjuster ...annoying thing is the builders keep blaming me and DH for delays that aren't even our fault Yes the date has changed multiple times while they are deciding whether to pay out for some of the electrical work that apparently hadn't been quoted for :

Edited at 12:45 PM.
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

Mobile

Any renovation etc on a large scale ends up quite stressful imo. Appreciate it might be hard, but think of the fact you had insurance, work is getting paid for, you will get your house back at some point and you have a great holiday to enjoy.

Not easy to see it, but things could be a lot lot worse!
Procrastinator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyFromage
Very Serious Dibber

I can appreciate your stress.

We viewed a house last year (had no intention of moving - didn't think we could afford it) and didn't have anything in place. ( we rented - wasn't prepared to get a mortgage etc)

In the space of two and a half weeks we were going at the speed of light. MY DH was on the phone paying to reserve our new build home plot whilst I was driving us and the kids to the airport for our Dubai holiday.

We had to take our laptop with us (something we hate to do) and try to get paper work completed etc whilst away.

IT was a lovely holiday but there was always something else in mind and we just wanted to get home and get on with sorting out our new house (it was a big move which included looking at new schools etc)

Your home insurance should pay for the extra months rent as you can't move whilst you are away. I wouldn't want to move my things back in whilst the builders are in either, especially as you arent getting on too well at the moment.

In a few months time it'll all be water under the bridge. You'll be back in and enjoying your home again.
LadyFromage is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Procrastinator View Post
Any renovation etc on a large scale ends up quite stressful imo. Appreciate it might be hard, but think of the fact you had insurance, work is getting paid for, you will get your house back at some point and you have a great holiday to enjoy.

Not easy to see it, but things could be a lot lot worse!
Thanks Very true. We feel very lucky in a lot of ways ...we are fortunate to be here dealing with the stress

Originally Posted by LadyFromage View Post
I can appreciate your stress.

We viewed a house last year (had no intention of moving - didn't think we could afford it) and didn't have anything in place. ( we rented - wasn't prepared to get a mortgage etc)

In the space of two and a half weeks we were going at the speed of light. MY DH was on the phone paying to reserve our new build home plot whilst I was driving us and the kids to the airport for our Dubai holiday.

We had to take our laptop with us (something we hate to do) and try to get paper work completed etc whilst away.

IT was a lovely holiday but there was always something else in mind and we just wanted to get home and get on with sorting out our new house (it was a big move which included looking at new schools etc)

Your home insurance should pay for the extra months rent as you can't move whilst you are away. I wouldn't want to move my things back in whilst the builders are in either, especially as you arent getting on too well at the moment.

In a few months time it'll all be water under the bridge. You'll be back in and enjoying your home again.
Thank you yes very good advice hopefully in a few months I will have forgotten about all of this stress

Thank you everyone it is great to have unclouded opinions and input It has made me realise I just need to get on with the situation in hand. I can't change it so I am just going to have to work with it
Old 19 Feb 19, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

I think things always seem harder when the finish line is in sight. Ring the insurance and ask them about the rent/holiday situation as at least with clarification you can sort something out.