Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 13 Jun 19, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
I agree the rooms are often nothing special but it does amuse me when people complain about the 2 double beds situation. No one expects 4 adults to share a room just because there is room to do so. Of course an adult daughter and her fiance need a seperate bedroom. There are loads of villas and suite style hotels or simply book two rooms. When I was a child and travelled to the UK we had to have two rooms with only 2 adults and 2 children because none of the rooms could sleep 4! Even now the family rooms in Premier Inns don't suit 4 adults. Most American hotel rooms are simply more flexible to suit different groups. Hotels also don't expect adults to sleep in single size beds so have 2 doubles to suit 2 friends traveling together.

The dark furniture is simply different tastes. The kitchen showrooms here are full of expensive dark kitchens. Most Americans would find the British high gloss white ones just as strange.
You have absolutely read my mind on all of this! I was about to reply and say everything you’ve written here - including the bit about U.K. hotels that used to sleep just 2 people - but now I don’t need to
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 06:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
The first time that we stayed onsite, CBr, we were totally underwhelmed, expecting to be blown away & just thought the room was a bit meh. To the OP, it's a Value, what are you expecting ? How long do you actually spend in the room ? We used to book the Comfort Inn for $29/night with the thought that it was basically somewhere to put your head down. The rooms at BV Palace, across the road from SSR, were easily on par with any Disney room that we have stayed in but even they didn't have a microwave - Fridge & coffee maker likewise RPR, so Disney aren't the only ones not to supply one. It's not too long ago that you had to stay in a Deluxe to get a fridge without paying for it !
We recently spent time in the Netherlands, Stayed in 2 "boutique" Hotels, rooms were outstanding & cost somewhere in between a Value & a Mod but we weren't in Disney
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 07:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
I don't know why people have such a downer on dark furniture, I love it! Much nicer and more luxurious feeling than bland and boring light wood everywhere.

I do find it funny how many US hotel rooms have the old style air con units though, even after refurb. And the washing machines in villas look really old fashioned to me too.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 07:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Hombody1976
Helping Minnie

Mobile

I just think that Disney make such an effort elsewhere but their rooms are poor. Yes i agree its a value and you can't expect much but when you stay with disney you cant help but expect that little bit more. The rooms are no different to staying off site and in my opinion dont add much to the disney magic apart from the perks.
Hombody1976 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Hombody1976 View Post
I just think that Disney make such an effort elsewhere but their rooms are poor. Yes i agree its a value and you can't expect much but when you stay with disney you cant help but expect that little bit more. The rooms are no different to staying off site and in my opinion dont add much to the disney magic apart from the perks.
I do however, think the public areas at the Disney Values are where the themeing steps up and thats where you get your Disney bubble fix, compared to a value offsite.

We stayed at All stars Sports 4 years ago, on our way from our room to the reception area and park buses each morning we passed a tennis court with Donald and Daisy statuettes playing each other, and the Surfs Up rooms, which have giant surfboards decorating the outside of the corridors. It was fun and bright and colourful and certainly Disney .
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

It’s my understanding that people wanted less theming in the rooms. The refurbed rooms at CSR and CBR are nice and modern but the theming is gone and they look like any 3-4 star Hilton. Personally I do like a bit of theming but it seems most people don’t and the CSR rooms are very well liked. The newer build towers are also looking more like generic Hilton’s from the outside.

I do prefer the US standard of two doubles/queens to a room. They love massive beds and wouldn’t expect an adult to sleep in a single so while the rooms may technically hold 4 adults they don’t expect you to do that and of course they don’t mind if you do. It gives flexibility and it’s nice to not have to sleep in a single. In Europe you can get single rooms with just a single bed and a desk, twin rooms that are two single mattresses pushed together so you’re right beside your travelling partner (this I hate but very common on the continent) and family rooms/twins with a double and a single which means tossing a coin for the big bed when you’re with a friend. They can’t please everyone but I think the 2 doubles/queens is the most flexible.

Edited at 11:13 AM.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
The rooms at BV Palace, across the road from SSR, were easily on par with any Disney room that we have stayed in but even they didn't have a microwave - Fridge & coffee maker likewise RPR, so Disney aren't the only ones not to supply one.
Unless I'm reading this bit wrong, RPR doesn't have a microwave but does have a fridge and coffee maker.

Universal has really stepped up in room quality imo. As much as the FOTL hotels are not cheap (but still offer better perks for Universal, and better quality rooms than some Disney Deluxes) the cheaper options at Sapphire falls, Cabana Bay, even the "budget" options better anything Disney can offer for the same price.

That said, if you prefer Disney I agree there isn't much in it for a holiday if you are just using the rooms as a base with "free" dining. Then it makes sense to consider an on site stay.
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR

Edited at 04:24 PM.
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Yes sorry to clarify RPR does have a fridge & coffee maker, one of the pod type ones actually. One of the reasons we can't see passed a DVC studio is the addition of Microwave & toaster, 2 simple items that for us make a lot of difference.
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
Most of the off site hotels we have stayed in have microwaves, I have never noticed "smells". Perhaps they are only used for popcorn like we do!
Whilst postimg here, why do people hate shower curtains?
I hate shower curtains anywhere!
*they often form a “vacuum” when you run the water so they blow in and stick to you
* imagine how many other people they have stuck to and I wouldn’t think they would be cleaned after each guest
* sometimes they smell like old wet towels
* I don’t think they are very hygienic generally
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

We usually just ask for it to be changed!