Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 May 19, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

House dilemma!

WWYD?

So we have sold our house and the one we really wanted went a couple of days before We viewed 3 last week plus looked at several newbuilds.

1 of the 3 is in the most idyllic location, but not isolated however it is expensive considering it is almost 50 years old and has had nothing done in that time - original boiler, bathrooms and probably kitchen too! It is a real contender but we need to price up stuff that has to be done, it is also the smallest. 2 of the newbuilds would also suit us for location and size plus good prices as already built and the builder wants rid of them. They are edge of estate with views to the front but backing onto other gardens at the back. They would be the easy option, move in, unpack, done. However, when I was pegging washing out this morning I wasn't sure if I could live on an estate again now I don't have little kids

But... the older house, has walks on the doorstep, quiet, cottage gardens, when I say small, bit smaller than we currently have, still 4 beds and study, still room for kids to visit or other guests. We estimate that it would take a good year at least to renovate it assuming there are no unseen problems. We would need to get professionals in as we have no experience or desire to do it ourselves. Roof looks ok, no big cracks anywhere but until we can have a survey we won't know for sure. But we need to know so that we can budget what to offer and how much we need to spend on it, catch 22 We have also only lived in newbuilds, in fact this house at 20 years old is the oldest house we have lived in!

Anyone any stories to tell, advice etc, thank you guys
Old 12 May 19, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

I think you want the older house - and from what you've posted, I would too .

Get the survey done, see what comes up, and take it from there.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 19, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

For me it be the location without a doubt
Parking on new build estates ,round here one of the new build estates already has several in long term rent Will,it suit in years to come
Etc
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 19, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Mobile

Go for the one that will make you happy. If older one maybe get electrician and plumber to check electrics and boiler etc. We found surveyors to be a waste and not come up with much.
Keep in touch with estate agent of house you lost in case it falls through.
Old 12 May 19, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Yeah I think location is probably the key.

We are on an estate but a slightly older one so we have bigger gardens and there is more parking etc.

Previously we were on a new estate and there are so many things which would annoy me - including insufficient parking so the roads tend to get really clogged up with cars. Also, the plots tend to be smaller and so you are much more aware of neighbours etc.
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 19, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
bluedave
Imagineer

When we bought out house it needed lots of work and everything cost far more than anticipated. I’d be tempted to go for the house y U love but at a price you love - offer low and see what they say.
bluedave is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 19, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

It certainly isn't cheap to do a house up however at the end you have something you want. Usually a house to do up is reflected in it's price. You could move into a new build and still want to change things. This is coming from someone who took on a massive project where lots went wrong. However there is just something special about old houses for me.
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 19, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

Newbuild is obvious choice based on your history and experience.
Keep looking until you find something you really like.
We once bought thinking we would walk the nearby lanes, go for bike rides, and have lunch in nearby pubs. In three years we never did.
With you having to pay for all your improvements this older property could prove to be more expensive than you expect.
In a rising market you can make your money back but I'm not sure that's where we are, or will be in the immediate future.
You are also in a good position to take advantage of attractive deals on newbuilds.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 19, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I think your heart lies with the older house. I personally wouldn’t be keen on new build.
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 19, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
taylaboo
Imagineer

Mobile

We bought an older bungalow (1950's) that needed completely updating. New central heating system, new kitchen and bathroom, rewired right thru, replastered right thru, new flooring right thru and then we had a huge conservatory put on the back. I now have my ideal forever home. It was a lot of mess and upheavel and took about 6 months but worth it. Its a solid build, not like some of the newer ones we saw with plasterboard internal walls that you can't hang anything on. It has a lovely front and back garden that I planted myself. Not too big but big enough when all the family come over. Go with your heart.
Villa at Champions Gate -2019
Rosen Hotel May 2023
taylaboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List