Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 13 Jun 19, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by BarryandCaron View Post
Not sure TOTWL ran a loss the nights we’ve been up there together 😂.
I think we singlehandedly kept them in profit 😂

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Terrible it's short notice. Many will have booked vacations for 4 July on the basis they got up the lounge at their own resort. This is DVC not damaging resale, but their own direct customers because someone said let's run a paid for dessert party and cream as much as possible.
Many owners were not even aware of this event which is now sold out. So until about a week ago, owners were expecting an excellent 4 July at their resort they'd booked 11 months ago. Now it's go away, someone else is paying top dollar.
Plain wrong. Also it's all booked for Xmas and owners will have booked in anticipation of going up NYE (that date was all taken well into the 11 month window). They now have nowhere else to book in studios. So pay up, or go away.
I'm not convinced we will even get in on 30/12 now, as demand will be effectively doubled. Also I'm not convinced when it's seen to be sold out, the 30/12 won't be offered up either, at a bargain discount $90 plus tax and tip.
As I said there will be some angry people on 4/7 who are unexpectedly denied access. Hopefully DVC will at least have the courtesy to email all guests beforehand, but I suspect they don't want a s*** storm on the phones either.
Old 13 Jun 19, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
lov2dibb
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 11
Guidebook Reviews: 7
This is really disappointing news they're taking away that perk to suit themselves and make a some quick $$$.

Give it time and it'll be a nightly event and a sad goodbye to TOTWL from all us BLT owners

The event should've been offered to members staying there on points first before going on general sale. At least it wouldn't be a shock even if they didn't want to go.

I do enjoy popping into the lounge to watch the fireworks and this is not something I would pay for but I've always known from even before I bought there that this was just a perk and could be taken away anytime just like all the other perks that have gone over the years.

However, it's really poor the way this as been handled and disgusting treatment of all the BLT owners and other DVC members who have supported the lounge since it opened.
lov2dibb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lov2dibb View Post
This is really disappointing news they're taking away that perk to suit themselves and make a some quick $$$.

Give it time and it'll be a nightly event and a sad goodbye to TOTWL from all us BLT owners

The event should've been offered to members staying there on points first before going on general sale. At least it wouldn't be a shock even if they didn't want to go.

I do enjoy popping into the lounge to watch the fireworks and this is not something I would pay for but I've always known from even before I bought there that this was just a perk and could be taken away anytime just like all the other perks that have gone over the years.

However, it's really poor the way this as been handled and disgusting treatment of all the BLT owners and other DVC members who have supported the lounge since it opened.
Sorry you are affected as an owner and you have more emotional attachment as you own there and have enjoyed the fact the perk is available. As you say, if they had announced in plenty of time, then we may all have moaned but we all signed the disclaimer when buying direct that we are not buying for perks and they can be taken away at any time (but ironically the direct purchase is sold on the back of the perks, it really is a business that you couldn’t easily get away with in another sphere). But we signed it, so they can take them away. We just have to live with the fact this is the current management’s mindset.

And yes it’s currently just two nights- but the two most valuable nights of the year by a massive margin.

But 3 weeks out to decide to just do this- unacceptable. They needed to announce it before the 11 month booking window opened, so people could make an informed choice. This is just plain unfair. And we all know how paid for events have ‘creep’. I remember when they brought out the Wave package, some predicted this would happen. Others said on boards, it’s fine, they’ve left open one of the viewing decks for general members- why are you criticising, they need to make money. Too much money at stake here, and it’s selling like hot cakes. Imagine if it was open to joe public, and imagine, and imagine...$$$$$$$

Edited at 08:16 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Sorry you are affected as an owner and you have more emotional attachment as you own there and have enjoyed the fact the perk is available. As you say, if they had announced in plenty of time, then we may all have moaned but we all signed the disclaimer when buying direct that we are not buying for perks and they can be taken away at any time (but ironically the direct purchase is sold on the back of the perks, it really is a business that you couldn’t easily get away with in another sphere). But we signed it, so they can take them away. We just have to live with the fact this is the current management’s mindset.

And yes it’s currently just two nights- but the two most valuable nights of the year by a massive margin.

But 3 weeks out to decide to just do this- unacceptable. They needed to announce it before the 11 month booking window opened, so people could make an informed choice. This is just plain unfair. And we all know how paid for events have ‘creep’. I remember when they brought out the Wave package, some predicted this would happen. Others said on boards, it’s fine, they’ve left open one of the viewing decks for general members- why are you criticising, they need to make money. Too much money at stake here, and it’s selling like hot cakes. Imagine if it was open to joe public, and imagine, and imagine...$$$$$$$
This is the thin end of the wedge.
The attic that people are on about never actually opened for DVC Members
Reunion was a disaster so they shut it.
Now they have their nose in the trough for the TOWL. I lay odds it gets shut and only opens for paid for events.

To say it makes a loss is irrelevant, the Members Lounge in Epcot doesn't make a penny as we all know.

What keeps me going is what goes around comes around.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 08:21 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Totally correct about the attic Tom. Boardwalk at the time (and still is) where a lot of the execs stay. Story goes in one of my WDW history books I have (sad I know) that a senior exec (I cant remember who, may actually have been Iger as he was number 2 or 3) said they’d take it for an exec lounge. It’s now accessible to joe public if they pay for a very, very expensive Fairytale wedding.
The closest DVC members ever got to it was the initial DVC sales material.

Edited at 08:42 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 07:26 AM  
Link to this Post
BelleWannabe
Serious Dibber

I have been a BLT member from the start as well. As others have said it was always made clear that is was perk and access could be taken away at any time. Another thing is that DVC (and it’s members) do not own the lounge. It is owned and run by parks and resorts who grant exclusive access to DVC each year. DVC probably didn’t get a say in this.
05 Tokyo Disney trip 06/10 Hong Kong Disneyland Trips 08/09/11/12(x2)/13/14/15/16 DCL
13 months... 11 parks... 5 Locations... 1 DREAM
BelleWannabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Very, very poor.

Another BLT owner here, who over the years has spent a lot in here (Jakki ).

Obviously understand it was a perk, but the handling of this leaves much to be desired.
Old 14 Jun 19, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by BelleWannabe View Post
I have been a BLT member from the start as well. As others have said it was always made clear that is was perk and access could be taken away at any time. Another thing is that DVC (and it’s members) do not own the lounge. It is owned and run by parks and resorts who grant exclusive access to DVC each year. DVC probably didn’t get a say in this.
It's owned by DVD apparently, if you look at the full accounts it is stated;

"As of December 31, 2017, DVD owned the two commercial units. During the year ended December 31, 2017, DVD annual dues paid to the Association were $421,333"

As we know, DVD totally control DVC with the new president Terry Schultz. This has everything to do with DVC I'm afraid.
Old 14 Jun 19, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Br'er Bear
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by BelleWannabe View Post
Another thing is that DVC (and it’s members) do not own the lounge. It is owned and run by parks and resorts who grant exclusive access to DVC each year. DVC probably didn’t get a say in this.
That's a fact I wasn't aware of, that DVC don't own the premises and the running of it is covered by parks and resorts. I thought it might have been covered under shared facilities.

So if it's covered by parks and resorts I wonder how they've broken down the running cost, does it have it's own property tax, is the water and electricity supply separately metered, do they cover the cost of all employees involved in it's running, elevator cost, separate insurance cover and so on.
Br'er Bear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List