Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 31 Jul 19, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post

Boreatten Park is lovely. But it is much bigger than a lot of the others. So he should expect to do a fair big of walking between activities. You can see quite a bit on googlemaps. Mine used to take three pairs of trainers. One of them so ratty that they were only good for going in the river and usually thrown away afterwards, often the £2.50 cheapo shoes / second hand shop trainers we used to buy and dump. The other two were one for outdoor activities and one for when you have nothing dry left!

As an aside, PGL are really really good at the hand over. You go - hand in their medical form, hand in their pocket money (not a lot as is mainly tuck shop) and get taken by a camp leader to their room. You will have about 1 minute to drop their stuff off and they are gone off to meet the other kids. You find your own way back to the car. Like ripping a plaster off, no long drawn out goodbyes.

It works well. Seems to stop homesickness. Mine never took phones and were discouraged from calling back by PGL. Think they have softened on this to an extend but for my 13 yo it is the only time she will voluntarily leave her phone at home. Which in itself says something. I know some of the others take theirs so each to their own.

Edited at 05:52 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 19, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Extra warms clothes! I went on a pgl trip 24 years ago and remember the weather turning and it being cold at night. My mum hadnt packed me any warm clothes!
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 19, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Hi Jan, I found this that shows what to pack. Hope this helps. pgl/Files/Document...it-List-UK.pdf
My son has been to Boreatten Park, he had an absolute ball. Hope he has a great time!
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 19, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Oh dear. This is a bit of a nightmare! Sonny came to stay with us on a visit. He has a return ticket to Singapore for 14 August. Judging by the list of stuff, we will be off to Sports Direct tomorrow to spend some money. He doesn’t even own half of the stuff he seems to need. And as for bedding, we don’t have a sleeping bag or a single duvet. One of the mums booked it and I know next to nothing about it. Feeling slightly p*****d off.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 19, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Mobile

I think you could buy much of this from charity shops -

T-shirt’s
jogging bottoms.
Then you can buy cheap trainers from primark or second hand - one needs to be kept for wet activities.
One jumper.
Toiletries
An outfit for the disco - ie trousers and shirt! Or T-shirt

Shorts - which could be swimming shorts so they can be used for water too.

Underwear

Can you send him with a duvet from home from his bed?

I’d also recommend if possible writing a letter before he goes and sending it on the Saturday, so it arrives when he does. They love receiving letters
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 19, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Daughter has been to PGL a few times. Most important is a pair of old trainers ( did he not bring a couple of pairs with him ?) and a waterproof coat. Could you ask other mums if they have a spare sleeping bag ? T-shirt’s, joggers will be cheap enough at Primark. A decent outfit for the evening. A pillow. A small amount of cash for the tuck shop.
Hope he enjoys himself. Daughter loves PGL.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 19, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Oh dear. This is a bit of a nightmare! Sonny came to stay with us on a visit. He has a return ticket to Singapore for 14 August. Judging by the list of stuff, we will be off to Sports Direct tomorrow to spend some money. He doesn’t even own half of the stuff he seems to need. And as for bedding, we don’t have a sleeping bag or a single duvet. One of the mums booked it and I know next to nothing about it. Feeling slightly p*****d off.
I would avoid sports direct, clothes will be treated badly. Cheap and cheerful from asdas, Primark and second hand shops.

Edited at 10:10 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 19, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
marciehatter
slightly serious Dibber

Decathlon is great if you have a store near you.
marciehatter is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 19, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Definitely cheap stuff. No labels. It will get ruined, dirty or lost.

Use a Sharpie to put his name in everything.

Edited at 08:14 PM.
Blue nose is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 19, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Kellea
VIP Dibber

waterproof jacket, old trainer for getting wet and dirty, another pair for an evening, I went asda and bought a weeks worth of cheap tops and leggings so they could be either washed or binned (depending on the state of them at the end of the week) something to change into of an evening, slippers or sliders, pyjamas, warm jacket (tracksuit top or similar), costume, towel, we had to provide bed linen, something to wear for a disco night at the end of the week. I receive everything back in cabin bag so dont send anything worth any money x

1993, 2008, 2011 OKW villas 17 nights ( thanks to Irene , 2013 3 nights Renaissance Seaworld, 3 nights HRH Club, 16 nights OKW and DxDDP, 2014 5 nights HRH Club, 16 nights OKW. 2015 15 nights Sheraton Vistana Villages. 2016 3 nights Sheraton New York Times Square, 3 nights HRH club level, 16 night AKL SV, 2 nights BLT. 2017 5 nights OKW, 5 nights BWV, 7 nights BLT, 4 nights HRH club. 2019 3 nights Renaissance (SW), 4 nights HRH CL, 7 nights BLT LV, 7 nights AKL SV

KELLEA
Kellea is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List