Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Apr 20, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Originally Posted by whlparkstone View Post
I don’t believe he is in pain as I am seeing no evidence of it.

The limp shows you that he is in pain. That's why he is limping, because it hurts. Does it get better or worse with exercise? As a PP said, get some good recordings of movement, from directly in front of and behind him is helpful, as well as the side angles.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 20, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Abbysmum
Apprentice Imagineer

Dogs are very stoic and don't show pain like a human would, the fact he is limping means there's something not right somewhere, I'd definitely go and see a vet asap.
Abbysmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 20, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Gilly120
Imagineer

Originally Posted by whlparkstone View Post
Our 8 month old puppy is limping slightly on his front left leg. My husband and son noticed it a few weeks ago but it seemed to wear off and didn't cause himany pain that we could see.

Over the last day or so we have noticed it more. He has been going out for his daily run around a field and is perfectly happy, so I don't believe it's a broken bone. It seems to bother him more when he jumps down from the sofa after a sleep. We are obviously trying to limit his jumping now, restricting his access to the stairs and not allowing him to jump up on the bed. I am going to only take him for a shirt walk today and not taking him to a field for his run. We will try and make him rest the leg,

Any other advice gratefully received. First time dog owner with little experience
Is he a large spoodle? It can be common in puppies of large breeds that they may develop a limp between two months and two years of age, often because they grow too fast, we had this problem with our Labrador. Over a period of a 12 month period he ended up limping on all four of his legs (not at the same time) and was given Metacalm. He is 8 now and has never had any more problems and hes a huge dog.
Old 1 Apr 20, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks for all comments. His seems to limp slightly when getting up from a resting period. I keep wanting to take a video, but typically now I can’t seem to catch him limping.
Old 1 Apr 20, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

Originally Posted by Gilly120 View Post
Is he a large spoodle? It can be common in puppies of large breeds that they may develop a limp between two months and two years of age, often because they grow too fast, we had this problem with our Labrador. Over a period of a 12 month period he ended up limping on all four of his legs (not at the same time) and was given Metacalm. He is 8 now and has never had any more problems and hes a huge dog.
Yeah mine has had Metacam too, he’s a lab and had the same issues.
I do second taking him to the vets, but if it happened again I would insist on a dose of Metacam first, and the joint supplements I mentioned and see if it settles down.
They talked me into x-rays, they wanted to MRI him too but admitted that it didn’t add much value for the £1200.
Max was really sick after the sedative for the x-rays, which showed nothing really, just arthritic tendencies, and we were all stressed and skinter afterwards. They suggested they could do the £5k surgery anyway, ‘in case there were bone fragments invisible on the x-rays’ but we declined as it would involve very strict crate rest for large periods of time.
Another dibber with a Labrador got talked into the surgery, and their dog still limps anyway
Old 2 Apr 20, 05:50 AM  
Link to this Post
DiscoDaisy
Having Dinner with Goofy

Mobile

We had a similar issue when our Cockapoo was a puppy. I took her to the vets, was prescribed metacam and advised to keep home for a few days to rest (no walking or jumping) as probably strained a muscle and was limping due to pain. She has been fine since. Personally, as it’s been going on for a few weeks I’d get it checked out...
DiscoDaisy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 20, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile

Hi all
Thanks for all of your replies.
I have phoned the vets this morning. They are advising at the moment 24-48 hours rest as he can walk on it. If in the mean time it doesn’t improve I am to send them a video, the vet will view it and arrange a phone consultation. Hopefully the rest will do the trick.

Thank again
Old 2 Apr 20, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
mushumadness
VIP Dibber

mushumadness's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

Out 11 month Labrador limps after a while
She’s on yumove which have helped a lot
She’s not allowed to walk on soft ground the vet says as it makes
It ten times worse
mushumadness is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 20, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
lovesdisney
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Hi there, I had this when my lab was 8 months... vet was concerned re elbow dysplasia or other bone deformity, he recommended xrays which cost me £750 and was reviewed by orthopaedic vet, luckily they showed no sign of any deformity or anything serious and was put down to her over exerting herself while our, so was rested for 2 weeks at home then lead walks and gradually introducing More energetic excersize. Puppies are still developing and although full of energy need to be careful x ( ps glad we were insured)