Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 31 Mar 20, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Teenagers- How are yours coping?

As the title says really. How are yours coping with the lockdown?
Up until yesterday, I thought DS14 was coping pretty well. Some of you may recall that he was injured playing football at the end of November and we are awaiting the results of his MRI. His injury means that he can’t even go for a walk to get out of the house and other than for his MRI last Thursday, he hasn’t been anywhere. He really is a child that needs to be active all the time. Yesterday, it was clear cabin fever had set in. He’s bored and when he’s bored, he’s painful.

What activities have yours been up to to help keep them occupied and prevent boredom setting in? (He’s obviously doing his school work.)

Thanks all.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

DD has been doing her A level study - she wants to go to uni and they haven't completed all the curriculum yet.

She is completing coursework for Computer Science as she is of the opinion that if she gets a lower mark than wanted, she will need to submit evidence to gain a higher grade.

Also generally - cooking/cleaning - learning how to live independently as a lead up to uni. And going to the shop/pharmacy for our neighbours each side who are isolating.

Currently - playing Skyrim on the PS3. She has also brushed the dog, drunk much coffee and eaten many chocolate digestives.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Following this for tips. Even though they no longer have A-levels this summer mine are still being set work from college. Apart from that they have played darts which resulted in a fight, played on the PS4 which ended in a fight and washed the cars which took under 3 minutes before words were exchanged.
They do appear to be really good at eating though and spend most of the day emptying the fridge and cupboards
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
Following this for tips. Even though they no longer have A-levels this summer mine are still being set work from college. Apart from that they have played darts which resulted in a fight, played on the PS4 which ended in a fight and washed the cars which took under 3 minutes before words were exchanged.
They do appear to be really good at eating though and spend most of the day emptying the fridge and cupboards
This is my two also. Can’t spend five minutes together. Luckily the youngest will entertain himself for long periods of time. The oldest has to be doing something. The lack of being able to walk really isn’t helping. I did wonder about getting them to clean the cars.🤔
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
DD has been doing her A level study - she wants to go to uni and they haven't completed all the curriculum yet.

She is completing coursework for Computer Science as she is of the opinion that if she gets a lower mark than wanted, she will need to submit evidence to gain a higher grade.

Also generally - cooking/cleaning - learning how to live independently as a lead up to uni. And going to the shop/pharmacy for our neighbours each side who are isolating.

Currently - playing Skyrim on the PS3. She has also brushed the dog, drunk much coffee and eaten many chocolate digestives.
Good luck to your daughter with her studies. Must be so disheartening for many at this time. I’ve also heard that about maybe needing to submit evidence but unsure if it’s true. Well done to her for showing commitment.👍🏻👏🏻
Old 31 Mar 20, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
Good luck to your daughter with her studies. Must be so disheartening for many at this time. I’ve also heard that about maybe needing to submit evidence but unsure if it’s true. Well done to her for showing commitment.👍🏻👏🏻
She is torn: on the one hand gutted and indignant that she will not have the chance to prove herself with exams; on the other, a bit relieved she does not have to put all that work in with all the worry about not meeting the grade.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
DFussy
Very Serious Dibber

My dd 13 is now on two weeks school holidays for easter. We have made a non school timetable to help us get through.

It includes all three of us doing countdown together, jigsaws, breaking out the lego, films/you tube rock concerts, exercise, family games (i bought uno as a new game). She and her friends have been using houseparty, and she's rediscovered her Nintendo ds and wii. rereading some books too.

We all wrote down ideas, so it wasn't just me saying what to do.

I feel for your son though. The injury must be making it harder. Good luck to everyone, parents of teens or not.
DFussy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

Funnily enough my DS14 showed the first signs of cabin fever yesterday. I think that was most likely because DH made him get off the Xbox having spent all afternoon on there, and he got bored. He’d done all his school work, exercised etc and it was rainy so he couldn’t get in the garden to kick a ball around. He’s really missing his friends, and his football which he did 4/5 times a week. He’s brighter today and has been doing a few different things.

DS17 has been in training for social distancing for years so he’s okay at the moment . He’s finding things to amuse himself and has organised darts tournaments for us and I think it’s table tennis next! He was in the middle of his FA coaching course, and learning to drive which obviously have been put on hold which is a shame. I think the biggest disappointment for him is that he fell between the GCSE & A level exam years, so didn’t get to miss out 🙄

I am so very grateful for online gaming so they can keep in touch with their friends easily. It’s nice to hear them laughing.

Hope your son gets some answers about his injury soon. DS was injured last year (broken toes), which was only 6 weeks recovery time, and that was frustrating enough for him.
JoJo88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasarah
VIP Dibber

floridasarah's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
My DS is loving staying in. He is waiting for an assessment for Aspergers so has no social life at all. He is always staying in at weekends and school holidays so he is coping really well. He is logging on and doing his college coursework as required but his usual PS4 or YouTube otherwise. We have watched some Disney+ together and as Hubby and I are off for a few days now (see below countdown) we will hunt out some boardgames to play.
floridasarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Sas
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We are coping ok although feeling the affects of them missing their b/f / g/f. We've rediscovered the Wii with just dance as a good form of exercise. Still got G.C S.E work and first year uni lectures. Done puzzles and family games. Like you say though we seem to be going through loads of food 😳. Its a small price to pay for being together and safe.
I hope you are all doing ok and hopefully we'll start to see some light at the end of the tunnel soon xx