Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 2 Mar 20, 02:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

Wow where do you even find all these theme parks.
Old 2 Mar 20, 07:48 AM  
Link to this Post
sammi71
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 22
I'd love to do this and I'm sure my ds would be up for it too. Please do a trip report
sammi71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 21, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

Coming back to this thread to refresh my memory .
Planning for next year now , maybe late May / early June when all parks will be open, but not sure what we can expect temperature and weather wise . I'm sure they had tornados near Dollywood June last year also I think the schools will have broken up so imagine queues could be huge ?
Or we could stick with August/ September , but then back to juggling days when the parks are closed.

Was going to ditch Canada's Wonderland and add Kennywood instead, makes an almost circular route and we could then start at either Pittsburgh , Cleveland or Charlotte. I've read that one way drop off fees for hire cars can be steep, is this right ?

Have also discovered that the Skyline drive and Blueridge Parkway can be incorporated into our route, any tips on where to stop or things to do on travel days ?

So far I've got Kennywood to Kings dominion via Skyline drive
Kings dominion to Busch Gardens williamsburg
BGW to Carowinds ( Charlotte) via Blueridge Parkway, will probably stop overnight somewhere
Carowinds to Dollywood
Dollywood to Holiday world
Holiday world to Kings Island
Kings Island to Cedar point
Cedar point to Pittsburgh

Of course we start at a different point on the circle, Charlotte , Washington or Cleveland
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 21, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
disjunkie
Very Serious Dibber

Looks amazing. I loved our 2019 rollercoaster roadtrip so I’m sure you will love it.

One way drop off fees can be crazy but play around with start and end points as there can be massive variation. If car hire companies want to move cars back in a certain direction it can be really cheap. We found collecting away from the airport lowered the price too.

Consider purchasing fast lane/ quick queue if you only have one day at a park. We had to hit carowinds, kings dominion and Busch at weekends as we went in September, and it made such a difference in being able to get everything done. Being predominantly local parks it seemed most people didn’t buy it, so a 2 hour queue went down to 5 mins, great for rerides on the big coasters.

Oh and we stayed at Dreammore resort at Dollywood which I loved and comes with free timesaver passes so would definitely recommend that one.

Also do build in a few rest days, I loved it but it was tiring and I really wished we’d had another couple of days at Dollywood for example as I just loved that park.

I did a trip report which might give you a few tips.
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1150112

Edited at 08:05 AM.
disjunkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 21, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

Thanks Disjunkie. I read your trip report last year and have re read relevant days this year. I think paying for quick queue is going to be less painful than trying to fit our itinerary around August opening times
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 21, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
porridge
Apprentice Imagineer

This looks amazing. I’ve been to Dollywood, and it’s definitely worth a visit. We got a 3 day pass (I think!) and did 2 days at Dollywood and 1 day at the water park - which is also worth doing.
You’ve dropped Canada’s wonderland, but I’d recommend a trip there (plus adjoining water park), with Niagara Falls, and The Edge walk (top of CN tower, walk around the edge) at another time.
I guess you might get a Cedar Fairs platinum annual pass?
Have a great time.
porridge is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 21, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

@Porridge I've had a quick look at the different passes and packages available. Until we know when we're going I won't know what is worth getting.
Still trying to fit Canada's Wonderland in, but will probably be easier to leave it for another trip.
Have decided we will go late May/ early June . But some parks only open on the weekends in May and I can't use this years hours hours to guess which are going to be open when. ( some are closed until June ) . Planning Disney was so much easier.
Old 20 Mar 21, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Themepark Worldwide on YouTube did a 22 day/20 Park trip in 2019 I think, they did a review talking about the travel and what they learned.

I've only visited Toronto, Niagra and Canada Wonderland so can't offer much help other than to say they are worth a visit!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 21, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

Thanks Klairbear , I'll have a look