Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 25 Feb 20, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

We have been a few times and have stayed at both. To be honest, they are all fantastic holidays but in different ways and we couldn't choose our favourite but like to do both.

Pros of a villa are:

Much more space for your money - at least a bedroom each
Your own pool
Cheaper than onsite usually
You can have proper rest days where you can really relax
You have a hire car so can go to the outlets shopping
You can eat offsite which is cheaper
Food in general is cheaper as you can eat at the villa

Cons of a villa are:

Not in the Disney bubble so you could have to travel 20-30 minutes before you get onsite
You have to have a hire car

Pros of onsite are:

You are right in the thick of it and in the Disney bubble, fully immersive experience
No need for a car - Disney transport is more than adequate
You are so much closer to the parks
Free dining (if available)

Cons of onsite are:

The cost - much more expensive
The space - you are all in one room
You are almost trapped in the Disney bubble if you don't hire a car.

As you can see from my signature, we have done both. Next time we are doing onsite again.

For the first time I would probably do onsite with one child but either choice won't be a wrong one.
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP

Edited at 02:11 PM.
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
elliecjno1
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

First time we did villa only but we fancied trying being a bit more in the bubble so to speak.

So last time we did 5 nights on site POFQ upgraded to the DDP so had the 60 day FP booking to take advantage off too, then we went on to 2 weeks in a local villa. We LOVED the split as we found we'd had a proper Disney fix but then was great to have a more relaxed 2 weeks with all the room of the villa & our own pool etc. Plus this way it kept the cost down with no compromises really Trick is finding a villa close to the parks - our furthest Disney park was only 15 mins!

This time we're splitting on site & then down to the coast at the end. Personally I think I'd feel a bit trapped being on site the whole time as I like exploring outside the parks & also eating outside the parks, doing the outlets etc. Totally depends what you like really, you'll have an amazing time regardless
April '18 - WDW - POFQ & Emerald Island Villa

MAY '20 - WDW - POFQ & AMI CANCELLED BY COVID
elliecjno1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
General thoughts on onsite versus offsite:

Onsite:
  • In the Disney bubble with Disney theming
  • Easy convenient transport and access to the Disney parks
  • Poor transport to the non-Disney parks
  • Early fastpass booking
  • Extra Magic Hours
  • Transport from Orlando Intl airport
  • Free dining (when offer is on)
  • Expensive

Offsite:
  • Cheaper for the same quality room
  • Easier access to cheaper restaurants
  • Poor/Moderate transport to parks (depends on the hotel)
  • No Disney benefits

It mostly comes down to cost versus convenience for Disney. The more you are willing the spend, the easier it'll be to get to and enjoy the Disney parks.

One option is to book a Disney partner hotel near Disney Springs. This gives you some of the perks of staying onsite (EMH, early fastpass booking) and frequent transport to the Disney parks but is a bit cheaper. You won't get free dining though.

The other option is to do a split stay. There is the slight inconvenience of having to move part way through the holiday but you do get the best of both worlds (albeit for less time).

It also depends on where you're going to spend most of your time. If you're going to spend most of your time at the Disney parks then consider staying onsite at a Disney hotel. If you're going to be spending most of your time at Universal, Seaworld and/or other offsite places then book an offsite hotel on Intl Drive. If you're spending half your time at Disney and half elsewhere, then consider a split stay.

Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl View Post
We have been a few times and have stayed at both. To be honest, they are all fantastic holidays but in different ways and we couldn't choose our favourite but like to do both.

Pros of a villa are:

Much more space for your money - at least a bedroom each
Your own pool
Cheaper than onsite usually
You can have proper rest days where you can really relax
You have a hire car so can go to the outlets shopping
You can eat offsite which is cheaper
Food in general is cheaper as you can eat at the villa

Cons of a villa are:

Not in the Disney bubble so you could have to travel 20-30 minutes before you get onsite
You have to have a hire car

Pros of onsite are:

You are right in the thick of it and in the Disney bubble, fully immersive experience
No need for a car - Disney transport is more than adequate
You are so much closer to the parks
Free dining (if available)

Cons of onsite are:

The cost - much more expensive
The space - you are all in one room
You are almost trapped in the Disney bubble if you don't hire a car.

As you can see from my signature, we have done both. Next time we are doing onsite again.

For the first time I would probably do onsite with one child but either choice won't be a wrong one.
I think the OP said they were considering a offsite hotel, not a villa? Therefore they won't get the benefits of more space, a private pool and won't necessarily have to hire a car (although it might still be useful to have one) when staying offsite.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 03:09 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Geffers
Getting to know the DIBB

Originally Posted by Maui_Moana View Post
Hi
So I am starting to plan our first family trip ( 2 adults, 1child) for next year and looking at May/June.
I can't decide whether to stay onsite for 2 weeks, offsite for 2 weeks or a week of each. If we stay onsite I'd like to book the the free dining plan offer is on, assuming they run it for 2021. If onsite I'd be looking at a moderate resort. Budget is a factor but not the only one. How good is transport onsite v offsite if we don't hire a car? Are there other onsite perks that make the price worth it? Does anyone have experience of onsite v offsite budget for 2 weeks?
Thanks
Are you me?! Haha. We are planning the exact same for the first time, same number of people, only likely to be end april/start May. I think we have come to the conclusion we are going to do on site if free dining materialises. Our little one is 4 and whilst we likely will go back when she's older, we are only doing Disney parks this time and she's so little she will just be totally captured by the magic. I cant wait. If we don't stay on site I think we will go for an apartment style hotel, with SC facilities. Something to think about?
Geffers is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Maui_Moana
Getting to know the DIBB

Thanks for all the info it's really helpful. I am definitely leaning towards onsite at Disney, my son will be 4 so think he will enjoy Disney and when he's older can stay offsite to be able to visit other parks and the space centre.
Maui_Moana is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List