Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 22 Jan 20, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile Opinions on cruise companies please

I’m looking at Western Med cruises but there’s several companies and I have idea which would suit me.

I’m a solo traveller age 64 but not ready for Saga ! Nor do I want a lot of noise from kids and youngsters on deck when I’m reading or dozing (miserable moo !). I love people-watching so not too quiet. I like to sit in the lounges or public areas at night with a G&T or coffee.

I’ve done a 7 day trip with P&O which was great (Ventura) but I’m finding better itineraries with other cruise lines but no idea what they are like:

Royal Caribbean
Cunard (probably too posh and expensive ?)
NCL
Costa
MSC

Are there any more ?

Thanks

Linda x
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Do you intend travelling in school holidays? If so, with the exception of Cunard, you won't be able to escape kids on any of those cruise lines.
We are mid 60's and our favourite cruise lines are Princess, Holland America and P&O but have been on most cruise lines (except Cunard) - we travel off peak so never many children on board. Given our age we don't go for climbing walls, flow riders, zip lines, ice rinks, etc on ships but we do appreciate good entertainment (in English), good food, good service and probably most of all an interesting itinerary. Costa and MSC have some fantastic deals but, for me, there are some draw backs - but it's a compromise, can you put up with the negatives if the price is right. Different boats for different folks!
I don't know if this helps any.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Can only speak about Cunard. You may be pleasantly surprised at cost and regarding being posh they do have that reputation but we don’t find it bad at all. Like you, we like sitting with a drink watching the world go by and people onboard can be very sociable.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Love*my*hols
Imagineer

Mobile

Have you looked at Celebrity and Princess? I think these and HAL would seem a good fit for you.
Old 22 Jan 20, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Celebrity and - Fred Olsen (don't knock it till you try it)

We have sailed both - Celebrity - larger ships, elegant - not many kids (no slides etc) nice restaurants modern rooms. Expensive.

Fred Olsen - smaller ships, homely, not any kids usually, lots of daytime activities (quizzes, craft classes, talks etc) dancing for single travellers, posh coffee shop, library. Reasonable cost. Great food.

Contact me if you need more info x

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
welshwiz
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 16
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Some of the larger NCL ships have adult only areas which are quiet in the daytime such as Spice H2O and the lanai tends to be quiet for chilling out and reading or enjoying a drink day or night and maybe the Haven but that's not exclusively for adults.

Not that it's going to be sailing the Med but incase of interest the new Virgin ship is adult only I think.
welshwiz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks everyone, really helpful. Sounds like I don’t really need to worry about choosing the “wrong” cruise company.

I’m completely flexible on timing, silly I hadn’t thought about school holidays !
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

I agree on Princess, Celebrity and HAL

NCL and Royal Caribbean etc sound like they might be too loud and busy for you, although theres normally a quiet spot to be had somewhere on the ship

Most kids we've ever seen was on an MSC med cruise (not even in the school holidays!)

Edited at 09:04 AM.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 06:02 AM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We have sailed with NCL and RCL. We much prefer royal and if the itineraries were both good would choose them every time. However NCL do have great itineraries so I would sail
With them again for that reason. NCL we have been on the Jade, the star and the Epic. RCL we have been on the independence and the Anthem and will be on the symphony at Easter.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

MSC has a more mixed nationality client base so you do need to make sure you avoid European school holidays too if you want fewer kids on board.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List